It's too hot :(

Soldato
Muggy yep and wet hair just stepping out, looks amazing at the weekend, going up Leeds way to visit folks next week and looking good for the forceable,
Whoops another screenshot

Screenshot-20210610-201656-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Capodecina
Soldato
Muggy yep and wet hair just stepping out, looks amazing at the weekend, going up Leeds way to visit folks next week and looking good for the forceable,
Whoops another screenshot

Thankfully we're going to get to sane temps a week from now. Lower 20s. None of this mid-higher 20s ****.

Weekends gonna be roasting.

Thank god I’ve got my new fan coming tomorrow.

We are all fanned up here.

Man of Honour
It is weird here - there is a staleness to the air, no real movement, which just makes you feel meh even though it hasn't been overly hot or overly humid, not even properly muggy but it is somehow as unpleasant as when it is properly close and muggy.

Soldato
You know these air con units that are wall mounted and have the fan unit outside on the wall, do they need water supply or is it all cooled/heated via the fan unit. I work with fridges and freezers all my life with these unit outside but never actually know about if water is needed? I see pipes plumbed in to them so I imagine its juts for the fridge/freezers cooling. For residential use I hope water isnt needed

Soldato
You know these air con units that are wall mounted and have the fan unit outside on the wall, do they need water supply or is it all cooled/heated via the fan unit. I work with fridges and freezers all my life with these unit outside but never actually know about if water is needed? I see pipes plumbed in to them so I imagine its juts for the fridge/freezers cooling. For residential use I hope water isnt needed

Those units don't need a water supply, the drain pipe is for the condensate.

Soldato

Yes as above, there's 2 pipes basically one for condensate to run off (as water will condense onto the cooling elements of the inside unit and needs to be removed) and the other one is for the actual coolant being pumped back and forth between the two units. Both very small pipes as well. Hope on over to the aircon thread if you want to get more info

Soldato
I always post this, but just to help anyone on the fence, my almost 20 year old portable aircon units still work a treat, I wheel them out of the cupboard on the odd occasion, chuck some hoses out the window (takes all of 10 seconds), switch on and have a nice perfect 21 degrees in the room. They may have cost me £300 a pop in 2002 but talk about value for money now!

I know all the 'downsides' , but if you have a window in the room and feel the heat, you only live once, there is nothing like setting it to 19 degrees for an hour before bed and it's drawn all the heat out of the room/bedding, it's glorious..

The only advice I have is get the two pipe models (they can draw in cool air from outside in one, then exhaust hot air out the other), these have been better than a cheapo single pipe version we bought that seems very very inefficient in the hottest weather.

I did buy split aircons to install but sold those last year as the cost of installation etc is just such a massive degree higher that I couldn't be bothered.

Soldato
Hmm I have both - a split unit with 2 internal units in the house, and portable one I recently got for my garage (got a gym setup in there) which I've cut a proper 6" exhaust vent hole into the wall for. There's no comparison between the two in my opinion, the split units are absolutely incredible, quiet, surprisingly power efficient and cool the entire house down amazingly even when it gets to the hottest it can get. The portable job in the garage is kind of crap, the air feels nice and cool I guess when you're standing right in front of it but it's like having a jet engine running in there and it does a poor job at actually cooling the room. Some of that will be down to the garage not being properly insulated etc. but even still the difference between the units is massive and obvious

Though I'm still sure some portable ones in the house would be far better than nothing and obviously are working for you so not trying to say you're wrong (well, not exactly :p)

Man of Honour
New record temp for me - it reached 28.9C in my bedroom overnight. Which was actually OK because I was naked, on top of my bed and not doing anything. It's much worse when it's that sort of temperature at work.

Old fogey comment: I remember 1976 as being worse for heat.

Soldato
New record temp for me - it reached 28.9C in my bedroom overnight. Which was actually OK because I was naked, on top of my bed and not doing anything. It's much worse when it's that sort of temperature at work.

Old fogey comment: I remember 1976 as being worse for heat.

Ooft, don't think I'd sleep well through that. Our aircon was set to 19c and I was still pretty warm this morning.

Associate
I had up to 37c in my office last year, luckily I bought a portable AC unit for this Summer, but I have to say as per another post it's loud, even with with me getting a 'quiet' model it's a lot louder than I'd like.

Having only used proper split units previously I was surprised how loud this portable is, but it's a lot better than nothing when it's not possible or practical to have a proper installed system.

It's doing a fanatic job of cooling absolutely blasting out cool air though for £350 with minimal install as I'm using a window kit that even with a more complex window style works great, so I'm still happy to have it, it'll cool a sealed room pretty quickly then can be switched off and just use a normal quiet fan to circulate the cooled air.

Caporegime
Can't wait for Sunday. A lovely 24c here. Beach weather!

I love the heat absolutely love it. The warm nights are totally worth it. An oak tree shades the bedroom which helps a lot!

Back
Top Bottom