Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Mine arrived and so far so good :)

Waiting for it to fully warm up so i can calibrate it but a quick initial summary:
  • Looks great
  • Leds can be switched off
  • Menu actually not too bad and easy to navigate
  • 144Hz in Windows / Gaming no issues (not tried overclocking yet)
  • SDR / HDR in Windows / Games seems fine
  • HDMI and DP cable supplied are short imo (around 1m i reckon)
  • Power supply cable is a clover / mickey mouse style
  • Power brick to actual monitor lead could be longer but a minor gripe
  • Vesa mount sunken on monitor so longer m4 screws needed for my arm vs the supplied one's (not unboxed stand, won't be using it)
This is my first every monitor. Can anyone recommend the best setting for console gaming once people have given it a test please?

Associate
Prefixing this with "I'm not a colour/monitor expert"

Some further thoughts after a short amount of usage (work / gaming). Overall great but not good for my circumstances rather than a fault of the monitor.
I was predicting these issues may have cropped up due as I'm a software engineer and I'd be coming from an Acer Pred x34p 3440x1440 120hz.

The good:
  • Really appreciating the extra vertical resolution (work mainly)
  • Screen is utterly crisp, fonts, ui's look great
  • Gaming (cyberpunk mostly) amazing, feel like I'm seeing details I didn't glance at before (text in various places, fine details etc)
  • After quick by eye calibration brightness: 75, contrast: 61. sharpness: 70, gamma: mode3, colour temp: med things look much better. Default profile is high on brightness and contrast for my liking.
  • Menu response is quick and easy to navigate.
  • Switching between inputs pretty easy (I have to do this often between work and play)
  • IMHO HDR looks great, no issues but coming from a non HDR x34p anything will look better
  • No issues with gsync compatibility vs 'full fat' gsync of the x34p, noticed no screen tearing
  • A few rounds of cod and no latency issues (nice to be able to see my mini map within my peripheral again lol)

The bad:
  • I'm really missing the curve of the x34p. I'm finding that the screen picks up stray reflections far more than on a curved screen. Never though I'd be proclaiming the benefits of a curved screen but there's definitely a sort of strain I feel looking up into the corners of this flat panel.
  • Poor implementation of the scroll wheel. When adjusting picture settings I would have expected I could have moved to the option I want to modify and utilise the scroll wheel to change its value. Nope. Not really sure why that isn't a thing. It's begging for it.
  • Total lack of horizontal swivel on the stand (unless I'm missing something). Doesn't affect me as I would have used a monitor arm with this functionality but I'd imagine some will miss it.

The bad but not the monitors fault:
  • Macs (specifically big sur) still locked at 60Hz when at 4k scaled/not scaled on hdmi 2.1. Not a deal breaker and apple could do with pulling their finger out and fixing DSC in the display driver which appears to still be completely broken after Catalina. Really apple?.
  • I'm finding it lacks immersion for me. This is probably from coming from the x34p. Didn't know how much I would miss the extra real estate. Probably the biggest point for me sadly.
  • It really is quite a beast to drive. I'm running a 9900k oc 5GHz, 3090, 32GB and the fps (cp2077) is hovering in that 50-70 region at times. Frame rates I just don't see on the x34p. I appear to have discovered a high consistent fps is more important than the detail :( I knew this performance would be the case from reviews of various platforms but really needed to see and experience it for myself.
  • The physical size change is quite a departure from my x34p. Felt fine seeing the monitor in the box but after usage it's slowly wearing on me and this mostly comes down to immersion in games and (I've no other way to describe this) empty space I can dump application windows in which happens frequently during development. I did instantly feel like I had to actively manage my workspace significantly and it's not really something I want to deal with.

So far I've done a day of work on it and had an hour or two of games and as much as I'd like to keep it I can already feel the curse of the ultrawide is here to stay for a bit longer. Overall an amazing monitor, really going to miss the HDR and crisp detail but looks like I'll be waiting out a decent 21:9, hdmi 2.1, HDR 600 ultrawide, preferably with multiple displayport connections. Such a shame as I'm thoroughly impressed with the 27GP950!

I'll not return it and just pop it up for sale before I get far too used to 4K and HDR so it'll have to go back in the box.

Associate
very bad news from my point,
after ringing the spicy shop to try and blag them with i put i code in for next day delivery instead of waiting 3/5 days, i have been told that this product is out of stock and i have been put on back order, i was fuming at this point saying when i placed the order it was showing as in stock, after 3 phone calls accidently ended i was told that while you had instock showing on the website it was clearly not updated to show out of stock, so i am on a reserved waiting list with 2 other people with no eta, just a "you will receive a email when we have stock".
hopefully not months, but i reckon im waiting awhile.

Soldato
So are Curry's just expecting us all to be up at 2am then, spamming refresh?

I know they've done this with PS5 and Xbox drops too, so it wasn't a mistake.

Such an annoying thing to do, just punishes those who aren't awake at an ungodly hour.

I expect its automated, when stock scanned in, it goes up on website when scripts run.

I agree though they need to rethink this and put stock up during daytime hours.

Associate
Ah, i went for next day because of the free code on the product page!

Well done at the order time! I tried but failed and even trying various postcodes of friends just in case it wasn't available to certain areas (sometimes happens with rainforest orders).

I'm hoping the fact it was available for a few hours means they have the stock to cover the orders, well at least all those before say 3:20am ;)
Afaik it was 7th of June for quite a while, then the 1st, then the 31st and then dropped.

I didn't get an email alert but checked after midnight most evenings since the 28th in the hope it dropped. From what i saw this morning it appeared soon after midnight as available but caused an error when trying to add to the basket, a few hours later it worked and checked out. It was still available til at least 5am when i went to sleep. Checked at 9 this morning and oos.

I do wonder if this will ship ok or if it possibly oversold. My order was at just after 3am and due for tomorrow so i guess i'll find out soon enough!

omg we're a gooooooooooooooooooooooooo

DPD : "We'll deliver your CxxxxxxW parcel on 8th June 2021"
Mine arrived and so far so good :)

I've got more of a bad feeling that I'm not getting mine, despite ordering far sooner ( ordered at 00:44am, got my email receipts at 00:50am ), going to phone them tomorrow and find out whats going on with my order, I have my order receipt and processing receipt with delivery day and that I've paid for it, but no funds have still not been taken from my bank account.

Edited: Funds have been taken from my bank account now, so looking a little better, but no tracking number as of yet, it's suppose to be due for delivery between Today and Friday, will still phone them today to find out if i'm still getting it by Friday.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got more of a bad feeling that I'm not getting mine, despite ordering far sooner ( ordered at 00:44am, got my email receipts at 00:50am ), going to phone them tomorrow and find out whats going on with my order, I have my order receipt and processing receipt with delivery day and that I've paid for it, but no funds have still not been taken from my bank account.

Edited: Funds have been taken from my bank account now, so looking a little better, but no tracking number as of yet, it's suppose to be due for delivery between Today and Friday, will still phone them today to find out if i'm still getting it by Friday.
Just seen your update about the funds being withdrawn which is very promising! I do hope it works out for you and it'd be grossly unfair if you haven't got a monitor allocated which i reckon would be highly unlikely.

Good luck and keep the thread updated!

Last edited:
Associate
Well that was quick, didn’t have to wait too long, had a email this morning from the spicy shop telling me they have despatched my item and will arrive tomorrow,
Surely they couldn’t have more stock this morning

Associate
Just seen your update about the funds being withdrawn which is very promising! I do hope it works out for you and it'd be grossly unfair if you haven't got a monitor allocated which i reckon would be highly unlikely.

Good luck and keep the thread updated!
Thanks,

Was just about to phone Spicy and i get an email from them,
That my order is on its way and it'll be delivered tomorrow, confirmed by spicy and DPD,

Not going to lie, was sweating bucket loads with my order, I'm glad it's now on it's way.

Associate
Thanks,

Was just about to phone Spicy and i get an email from them,
That my order is on its way and it'll be delivered tomorrow, confirmed by spicy and DPD,

Not going to lie, was sweating bucket loads with my order, I'm glad it's now on it's way.
Fantastic news!

Associate
Can someone tell me why on earth we should be spending £750 on a 27 inch monitor in 2021?

4K on a 27inch is pointless if you ask me, do yourself a favour and get a 1440p screen for half the price and enjoy the extra FPS.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can someone tell me why on earth we should be spending £750 on a 27 inch monitor in 2021?

4K on a 27inch is pointless if you ask me, do yourself a favour and get a 1440p screen for half the price and enjoy the extra FPS.

I already have 1440p
From where I sit 27" 4k is a very welcome upgrade plus IPS and 160hz vs my current TN 144hz

Associate

I had a DELL S3220DGF 32 Inch Curved 165Hz 1440p monitor and I have to say the LG 27GP950 4K at 160hz is amazing on my desk and really clear crisp and vibrant. I'm getting 150fps on COD cold war at 4k with my 3090 and 130 FPS on Forza Horizon 4- can't ask for more.

110% worth the upgrade and a treat to myself.

someone I know is giving me £300 for my old screen so I effectively rented it for £68 for 12 months

Also much prefer a flat screen than curved

Associate

I got my old LG 27" 4k 27MU67 back in 2015 driven by a 7970! A couple of years later I got an Acer Predator X34A to see what all the fuss was about with big curved QHD high refresh displays. The X34A was boxed up within the day and i swapped back to my 4k. Loved the immersion of the curved display while gaming but the everything else i disliked. For me after gaming at 4k, that panel was like having vaseline smeared across the screen. Total lack of clarity and detail both in gaming and productivity, honestly awful.

Got this new LG 4k screen to replace my 6 year old LG because i wanted a more modern panel, hdr, and higher refresh rate. On my desk it sits 12" - 18" away on an arm and at that distance anything bigger just doesn't work (i've tried it with a 32" non-curved monitor).

While you may feel it is pointless, which is fair enough, i don't ;)

Soldato
When are these likely to be in stock? Willing to give it a try, i currently have a Dell 24" 1440p screen (TN) and the blacks & response time are very good. I'll try IPS but if the glow is annoying in dark scenes of games, or if the screen has terrible uniformity I'll probably return it and stick with what i have a while longer.

Associate
I got my old LG 27" 4k 27MU67 back in 2015 driven by a 7970! A couple of years later I got an Acer Predator X34A to see what all the fuss was about with big curved QHD high refresh displays. The X34A was boxed up within the day and i swapped back to my 4k. Loved the immersion of the curved display while gaming but the everything else i disliked. For me after gaming at 4k, that panel was like having vaseline smeared across the screen. Total lack of clarity and detail both in gaming and productivity, honestly awful.

Got this new LG 4k screen to replace my 6 year old LG because i wanted a more modern panel, hdr, and higher refresh rate. On my desk it sits 12" - 18" away on an arm and at that distance anything bigger just doesn't work (i've tried it with a 32" non-curved monitor).

While you may feel it is pointless, which is fair enough, i don't ;)

Fair enough but then again I'm the type of person who runs lower settings just to get 200+ fps. For me smooth gameplay wins over graphics any day.

Associate

I currently have dual 27" monitors; a 4k/60hz and a 1440/144hz - I can tell you for a fact, having switched applications between both, that there is a big difference.

The price to value is clearly not above your threshold, but for some, even marginal improvements are worth the cost - it all about personal preference and circumstance.

Associate
I don’t need to be tempted by these, I’ve been quite happy with the LG at 27/1440p but I am starting to consider a 4k monitor as I could use one of my current ones just for the work laptop.

OcUK Staff
OP
Had word these have landed with us today and they should be with us Monday. I did ask for a Saturday delivery but it wasn't possible.

Everyone with a pre-order should get theirs next week!

Thanks for your patience with this one, and I hope you all enjoy your new monitors :)

Back
Top Bottom