*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
Heh!

"We are here to remind you that the TPM requirement of Windows 11 furthers the agenda to protect the PC against you, its owner. It is one step closer to the lockdown of the PC."

It is a very real risk but sadly most people won't appreciate the implications until too late - many will likely even attack those expressing concerns until they end up on the receiving end of it.

Soldato
For anyone who installed using the UUP conversion method, are you still able to join the dev channel in the insider section of windows update? Mine says to turn on optional diagnostic data, which it is. But still doesn't work :/

Any ideas?

Permabanned
I had that error on legit Insider for months so much I had to use UUPdump and finally it was fixed so started getting offered on WU again but I always chose ISO and just clicked it to update.

Soldato
Well that was time consuming to get win10 to download 11.. It wanted the "secure boot" enabled aswel and it took me hrs of scratching my head to work out why windows wouldnt boot when it was enabled... "Secure boot" only boots "GPT" drives and my boot drive was "MBR"....... So just started the dl of 11 now.

Associate
Download UUP with integrated cumulative rollup and do in place upgrade

Sadly UUP wasn't able to download the files (tried both the cumulative update and the straight 220000.51) when I ran the compiler :/

Why it's a test bed right? you not supposed to install it on a main machine in production

Was trying to find a way to fix it, rather than nuke it.

Have now nuked it and it's broken my Insider account :'(

Soldato
Honestly though I hope they are actually releasing something decent and more importantly doesn't reboot on you if it **** well feels like it.

Though overall I like it Windows 7 feels dated in some areas not to mention lack of support, etc. but I keep having to go back to it for an OS I can rely on for any serious work. Windows 10 is basically a clown car OS.

Whatever they release you will always get some people moaning or not liking it, been that way for decades so nothing will change in that situation.

The only thing I ask for is not to make it bloated, one thing I have notice over time is Windows seems to get more bloated with stuff and non useful features that they think you should have.

I would be very happy with a lean Windows gaming OS and use my other Linux PC for everything else.

:)

Permabanned
I would be very happy with a lean Windows gaming OS and use my other Linux PC for everything else.

:)

Well, you can generally remove and disable a lot of bloat but it can take work. I dual boot work/gaming and the gaming one has minimal stuff installed other than launchers and games. I try to disable everything I dont need/use on that boot.

So far on W11(now my gaming boot) I have only removed all the widgets and then removed the widget icon. It doesnt seem too bad for bloat at first glance.

Associate
I am seriously thinking of just sticking with W11 now, I'm not having any issues.

I may switch from the Dev to the Beta branch though (when a build eventually goes live on there).

Anyone else thinking of staying with W11 as a primary OS?

Caporegime
I haven't tried a great deal on it but it seems to work fine for my needs. Obviously, if you're using your machine for work or other important tasks it may be worth waiting a while.

That's why I installed it on the laptop first. I'll install it on my main rig when I next upgrade with a fresh reformat.

Back
Top Bottom