*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Don
I guess it matters (to some people) because the upshot is that "older" motherboards and systems will end up being vulnerable and unsupported.

Nope because you asked about whether a TPM bypass was needed for installs on old hardware. Currently only a TPM bypass is required (and the insider release will install on any CPU), but it's irrelevant because based on current details, Old CPUs may be excluded regardless of TPM status with the release version.

BUY NEW! CONSUME MORE! YOUR (perfectly acceptable) SYSTEM (with which you were entirely happy) IS A YEAR OR TWO OLD! ;)

Year or 2 old CPUs are fine - it's the 4 year and over that are currently speculated to be dropped (e.g. 7 series intel released in 2017) - however personally I think it will all be backtracked. no one knows for sure, and it's pointless worrying about it at the moment.

I can't understand why anyone is seriously worried about installing the Insider build on their main machines at the moment anyway - just bypass the TPM/Secure boot requirement and install it on a 2nd machine if you really must play with "new shiny" but honestly it's so rough around the edges, once the new shiny phase wears off, it's a bit of a "what was the point" feeling

Soldato
Somebody has been watching an old 1990 classic. Wilson Phillips.

Damn! Never even knew that, Chynna is married to William Baldwin. Daughters of The Beach Boys and Mamas & the Papas.

Wow Im impressed, you have a sharp eye, Hold On is a great song. Wendy looked so much better with the red/ginger hair and you wouldn't recognise Chyrnna now.

Ever since having the 49" ultrawide have converted into music vids, as I have plenty of desktop space.

Capodecina
Soldato
Nope because you asked about whether a TPM bypass was needed for installs on old hardware. Currently only a TPM bypass is required (and the insider release will install on any CPU), but it's irrelevant because based on current details, Old CPUs may be excluded regardless of TPM status with the release version.

Year or 2 old CPUs are fine - it's the 4 year and over that are currently speculated to be dropped (e.g. 7 series intel released in 2017) - however personally I think it will all be backtracked. no one knows for sure, and it's pointless worrying about it at the moment.

I can't understand why anyone is seriously worried about installing the Insider build on their main machines at the moment anyway - just bypass the TPM/Secure boot requirement and install it on a 2nd machine if you really must play with "new shiny" but honestly it's so rough around the edges, once the new shiny phase wears off, it's a bit of a "what was the point" feeling
I can't (for the most part) argue with any of that - except for two things:
  1. I find myself supporting some very old kit for users who are sensibly wary of using an obsolete, unsupported OS.
  2. On the other hand, I do need to gain a degree of familiarity with the latest release of Windows (for which I just happen to have a spare "oldish" system) ;)
As an aside, I know an increasing number of people (mostly Accountants and Lawyers) who use ultraportables (which I hate). It is absolutely impossible to alter any hardware on them and they are designed to be thrown away the day after they are shipped with planned obsolescence in mind.

Don
File IO feels slow on win 11, things take much longer to load. Also when the UI refresh's is slower. Overall it feel's slower than 10.

The UI being slower isn't surprising - it feels like a rush job in that it essentially is just running over the top of the existing Windows 10 taskbar/start bar infrastructure. Several times already this "overlay" has crashed when myself and a colleague have been testing it at work, leaving the standard right click menus (rather than the new style one)

Soldato
I wonder if anybody here has a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium (SB0880) PCI-E sound card that they could test with Windows 11?

Don
I find myself supporting some very old kit for users who are sensibly wary of using an obsolete, unsupported OS.
They can remain on Windows 10 until October 14th, 2025

On the other hand, I do need to gain a degree of familiarity with the latest release of Windows (for which I just happen to have a spare "oldish" system) ;)
Then do the registry tweak or use the Boot and Upgrade Fix kit to remove the artificial TPM requirements, and allow you to install the current insider build on almost any hardware that W10 currently runs on :)

Soldato
I wonder if anybody here has a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium (SB0880) PCI-E sound card that they could test with Windows 11?

I did the upgrade from 10 to 11 and my X-FI XtremeMusic card still was working fine.. It must be 15+yrs old now and its still being supported:D

Soldato
I can't (for the most part) argue with any of that - except for two things:
  1. I find myself supporting some very old kit for users who are sensibly wary of using an obsolete, unsupported OS.
  2. On the other hand, I do need to gain a degree of familiarity with the latest release of Windows (for which I just happen to have a spare "oldish" system) ;)

Well, windows 10 being supported until 2025 is worth considering. But, as usual MS are sandbagging features to make the upgrade more agreeable; Just as they did with windows 10 when they launched DX12 alongside it, except this time around it's features like VRR, the multi-monitor windows fix, auto HDR and the new app store - none of which couldn't have been added to windows 10 as an update. So i guess it depends on how much you'd need/want any of those features.

So yeah, you've got another 4 years to worry about your already old kit being unsupported. And i do sympathise....I'm still on ivy bridge :rolleyes:

Capodecina
Soldato
I accept that Windows 10 will be about for some time yet - and also that the eventual Windows 11 will be somewhat different from the imaginative, exploratory "Blue Sky" version being floated around at the minute ;)

Associate
Update on the Asus TPM I ordered at RRP, estimated later in July, around 200 in queue, so I'll keep my order open even though I have firmware TPM as an option.

So seems they are becoming available, but also seemingly redundant if only wanted for Windows 11 as most (if not all?) all the qualifying processors will that qualify for Windows 11 also have firmware TPM.

In fact does anyone know that for sure?

EG: Could an official qualifying Windows 11 processor (EG Intel 8 gen and up) be on a motherboard that somehow didn't have firmware TPM setting in its bios, but would still work with a 14-1 TPM discreet chip as a hardware option?

Associate
So, im trying to install Win 11 on my desktop, which is an asus crosshair hero vii,amd ryzen 7 2700x.

I have enabled the TPM and Secure Boot, but Secure Boot isnt enabled when i look in sysinfo, any ideas how to fix this ?

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
So, im trying to install Win 11 on my desktop, which is an asus crosshair hero vii,amd ryzen 7 2700x.

I have enabled the TPM and Secure Boot, but Secure Boot isnt enabled when i look in sysinfo, any ideas how to fix this ?

check CSM is disabled and look under Boot>Secure Boot and make sure OS Type is set to Windows UEFI Mode. Also check you have the keys installed, they are also under Secure Boot.

***this is on CH8, but should be similar on CH7.

Back
Top Bottom