*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Sadly UUP wasn't able to download the files (tried both the cumulative update and the straight 22000.51) when I ran the compiler :/

Was trying to find a way to fix it, rather than nuke it.

Have now nuked it and it's broken my Insider account :'(

Full nuke (previous was a keep settings) has fixed Insider account, but still stuck on 22000.1 and get crashes trying to update to 22000.51.

Have managed to get UUP working so am building an ISO to do an in-place upgrade.

Out of interest, of everyone that's on Win11, did you go straight from 10 to .51, or go via the .1 version as well?

Soldato
Well I have messed with win11 all day today with upgrading win10 to 11, and yes im impressed as my Creative X-FI soundcard and SCSSI LTO3 tape drive still shows up in the device manager. And win 11 on the whole seems tobe decent accept you cant add folders to the taskbar anymore, but no doubt someone will make it possible over the next few weeks or months though... But Im going back to win10 untill the release date as there's a few annoying things that dont work, like I cant click the clock to get the menu up and the fingerprint reader doesn't work properly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anybody with a computer which doesn't support TPM or Secure Boot tried to clean install this build from a USB stick?

I did what I did for the previous build - copy Windows 10 files to USB stick, then copy the Windows 11 install.wim file across. This worked for the last build, but it doesn't seem to now. :(

When boot up to Windows 11 setup press shift + F10. Type Regedit and locate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / Setup and insert new key: LabConfig and insert DWORD as BypassTPMCheck 0x00000001 (1) and insert DWORD as BypassSecureBootCheck 0x00000001 (1) and exit and you can continue setup Windows 11 without message warning pop up this pc can't support windows 11 - will bypass this and will work on old pc machine with full clean Windows 11 ISO

Soldato
I haven't tried this yet, but I might later.

I was able to just copy the entire Windows 11 ISO to my USB stick, after converting the install.wim to install.esd to get below the FAT32 4GB file size limit. After running the below reg file from command prompt (Shift + F10), setup continued as though nothing was wrong. :cool:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\LabConfig]
"BypassTPMCheck"=dword:00000001
"BypassSecureBootCheck"=dword:00000001

This what I did :)

Capodecina
Soldato
When boot up to Windows 11 setup press shift + F10. Type Regedit and locate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / Setup and insert new key: LabConfig and insert DWORD as BypassTPMCheck 0x00000001 (1) and insert DWORD as BypassSecureBootCheck 0x00000001 (1) and exit and you can continue setup Windows 11 without message warning pop up this pc can't support windows 11 - will bypass this and will work on old pc machine with full clean Windows 11 ISO
I take it from this post that Windows 11 will not install/run on an "older" PC, even with a "clean" install - unless you modify the registry?

Does anyone know if TPM 2.0 modules are available - e.g. to plug into a PCIe slot on an older Motherboard?

Don
I take it from this post that Windows 11 will not install/run on an "older" PC, even with a "clean" install - unless you modify the registry?

Does anyone know if TPM 2.0 modules are available - e.g. to plug into a PCIe slot on an older Motherboard?

Not sure why it matters? Requirements are still subject to change.

Motherboards as old as Sandybridge CPUs do support TPM modules via the 20pin dedicated headers on some boards. (But equally is irrelevant as the CPUs aren't supported even with TPM)

Soldato

Yes I did clean install straight off the USB flash disk that I got Windows 11 Pro ISO and it worked with modify regedit in the CMD before install windows as it was activated successful on my old intel i7 2700K.

Soldato
So after messing about with win11 and having to go back to 10, I wanted the tasks in the centre on windows10, as its great feature to have with a ultrawide screen..........

I have found either "FalconX" or " Centre Taskbar" that work pretty good in windows 10 and there both free

05srRDj.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato

V F

V F

Soldato
So after messing about with win11 and having to go back to 10, I wanted the tasks in the centre on windows10, as its great feature to have with a ultrawide screen..........

I have found either "FalconX" or " Centre Taskbar" that work pretty good in windows 10 and there both free

05srRDj.jpg

Somebody has been watching an old 1990 classic. Wilson Phillips.

Damn! Never even knew that, Chynna is married to William Baldwin. Daughters of The Beach Boys and Mamas & the Papas.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can someone let me know if Windows 11 boots to a lockscreen or does it go directly to the password screen? Will I have to edit reg. entries again to get rid of the useless lockscreen?

Soldato
I use a local account and no password. No lockscreen for me.

Mind you, I've already nuked my Win11 partition. Got bored of it and the niggles were starting to add up. :p

Capodecina
Soldato
Not sure why it matters? Requirements are still subject to change.

Motherboards as old as Sandybridge CPUs do support TPM modules via the 20pin dedicated headers on some boards. (But equally is irrelevant as the CPUs aren't supported even with TPM)
I guess it matters (to some people) because the upshot is that "older" motherboards and systems will end up being vulnerable and unsupported.

BUY NEW! CONSUME MORE! YOUR (perfectly acceptable) SYSTEM (with which you were entirely happy) IS A YEAR OR TWO OLD! ;)

Back
Top Bottom