*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
OP
I had been getting worried that I was putting a bit of weight back on. Then this morning I realised it perhaps co-insides with the gyms closing and opening again?

1NmPvLp.png

The start of this graph is Jan 1st, I think they closed around the end of December? Then they opened again around April? Or am I remembering it wrong? I don't lift a lot, so I don't think it's the whole reason, but I'm hopeful that 4 to 6lbs is muscle that left and then came back :)

Soldato
I rarely do comparisons but wanted to see how far I'd come, as trousers were feeling more loose and I generally was feeling better so thought I'd do a comparison of where I'm at now vs. the last year really. Well, mid lockdown v1 to today.

9pUxtIz.jpg

Plenty left to go but at least it's moving in the right direction. Down from 107kg to 92kg but not really bothered about the weight, more getting rid of some of this fat!

Soldato
Damn Ross. No one needs that early in the morning!

I managed to spell a great V in my weight tracker graph. From 100kg to 94kg and today back to 100kg.
Have been around 1000kcal over my goal each day this week as my body has just craved food.

On Monday I had a 10” leftover pizza for breakfast and then a leftover dinner kebab on naan for lunch….
Tuesday I ate an entire loaf of bread with Pate for lunch.

I need to sort my **** out. Hopefully today I can get back to running today and might even try the gym tonight as I can tell my shape has changed since I last went around 6 weeks ago.

Soldato
So I've noticed a clear pattern with my weight loss.

I will lose weight for a week and then it plateaus, the following week I see a steady fat loss but my weight is stable. Rinse and repeat.

Is this to be expected?

Yes. Weight loss is rarely linear - can be for a few reasons - trust the process and as long as this trend continues you don’t need to change anything.

Some people stall and immediately start wanting to drop calories which is something that should only be reserved for when you’ve stalled for several weeks.

scale-weight.png

Soldato
Damn Ross. No one needs that early in the morning!
Never too early for a bit of half naked me :p

I did the whole Joe Wicks 90 day plan thing ages ago and while I really liked it, I got half way through 3rd month and fell off the wagon. At the same time, restarting again this year I actually use the principles of his plan for myself. I eat higher fat and protein meals for my reduced carb meals, and eat a carb refuel meal after a workout. I eat **** like steak, mushrooms, baby new potatoes and three fried eggs for my reduced carb, or his chicken cashew curry with cauli rice. Tonight I'm popping to the gym for a bit and will have his pizza when home. The base is made with greek yogurt and flour, dry fried and then ovened for 10mins. Simple and actually tasty! If I don't eat one of his recipes, I'll make something up roughly following that sort of guide. 210g meat (obv bit less for beef vs. chicken but for the most part I just eye ball it now), as much green veg as I like, some added fats and carbs of some sort if I worked out. Means I still do things like tomorrow I'm off to the pub and will no doubt get through about 8 pints, but I've worked out every day this week so far and it's all a balance. My progress isn't as fast as it would have been had I quit everything, but at the same time I wouldn't still be doing it I don't think! Just learning to not limit calories to the point you're starving and will eat all the ****, but properly fueling your body to build muscle has been my biggest takeaway. I spent years dropping cals to like 1500 a day and worked out loads but never sustained it and felt ****.

Soldato
My wife keeps using a pizza recipe of flour and yoghurt and suggesting it's healthy, but surely adding yoghurt makes it less "healthy" from a calorie point of view than a traditional recipe of flour/water/yeast? Saw you mention it in another thread and meant to ask you about it then.

It usually tastes pretty good, one time we seemed to have it nailed and it was delicious, some other times i find the base a bit raw in the middle as there's not much rise.

Permabanned
Yes. Weight loss is rarely linear - can be for a few reasons - trust the process and as long as this trend continues you don’t need to change anything.

Some people stall and immediately start wanting to drop calories which is something that should only be reserved for when you’ve stalled for several weeks.

I have lost just under 4 stone this year. But I only took my first set of pictures and measurements last month but I will do them monthly from now on.

I can see the difference in clothes, I am going to have to buy some new ones as the jeans and trousers, in particular, are now too big. :)

I feel better and I am eating a hell of a lot healthier and more to the point I am enjoying it and enjoying the exercise.

Associate
... it's all a balance. My progress isn't as fast as it would have been had I quit everything, but at the same time I wouldn't still be doing it I don't think! Just learning to not limit calories to the point you're starving and will eat all the ****, but properly fueling your body to build muscle has been my biggest takeaway. I spent years dropping cals to like 1500 a day and worked out loads but never sustained it and felt ****.

This is so true and I can say it's how I've lived my life and had constant fluctuating weight issues (currently down to 83kg from 93.4kg since March). As an example I've just spent a month doing keto for the first time and although I really enjoyed it and I felt better than I've ever felt in years (energy wise) in such a short time it just isn't sustainable for me personally as a proper lifestyle change so it got me thinking, why bother doing it? And so the cycle begins!

Soldato
I have lost just under 4 stone this year. But I only took my first set of pictures and measurements last month but I will do them monthly from now on.

I can see the difference in clothes, I am going to have to buy some new ones as the jeans and trousers, in particular, are now too big. :)

I feel better and I am eating a hell of a lot healthier and more to the point I am enjoying it and enjoying the exercise.

Congrats. Measurements really become useful once you’re closer to lean since that’s when rate of loss, visual changes and weight plateaus tend to slow down and happen more frequently so just going off the scales only becomes less insightful.

I’m only over between about 8-18% bodyfat so only measure: chest, 2” above navel, 2” below navel and widest part of hips since my arms and legs never really change meaningfully and most men store the majority of their fat on their trunk like this (because hormones etc).

Soldato
Well I'm down to my target weight now...

ChduEPy.png

Its half way between underweight 9.03 stone and overweight 12.20 stone. Its taken exactly 10 weeks to get here and I've lost 10.16 KG or 22.4 Pounds in total.

Soldato
My wife keeps using a pizza recipe of flour and yoghurt and suggesting it's healthy, but surely adding yoghurt makes it less "healthy" from a calorie point of view than a traditional recipe of flour/water/yeast? Saw you mention it in another thread and meant to ask you about it then.
Not less healthy just a better balance of macros really. I use full fat greek yogurt, which has decent fat/protein macros and fewer carbs. My measurements are like 85g flour, 80g Greek yog, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt. That's it. Then just topping with pizza sauce, mushroom, mozzarella and chicken for some more protein. Still gives you some carbs in there but compared to a normal pizza it's higher protein and more fat balance than carbs. I have it after a workout so don't mind the carbs it does have as I need them, but it's not the same level as an off the shelf pizza for sure!

Soldato
Need to lose weight which is something ive never tried to do before. I go to the gym 4 times a week and try to eat reasonably well, but these last 6 years i have been a bit rubbish in terms of diet so need to get back on track. You really cant outrun a bad diet as i never miss a session at the gym and i always walk out knackered so i know im working out hard. I have downloaded fitness pal today and put in what i have had so far.

According to fitness pal i should be consuming 2000 caleries a day. I do Intermitting fasting (8 hours a day of eating) I break my fast at 12:00.

I have had 2 coffees and a huel black drink, i am suprised how bad coffee is and maybe should put it down to 1 a day as ive gone over my daily limit on polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated which im going to have to google to know what it is.

Edit:
Monounsaturated
Have these in small amounts. They can help to maintain healthy cholesterol levels.

Polyunsaturated
Have these in small amounts. Polyunsaturated fats help to maintain healthy cholesterol levels and provide essential fatty acids.

Okay its not a bad fat then?

Last edited:
Soldato
Any tips for someone who's never had to lose weight before?

I don't drink I don't smoke.
As of today I'm calorie counting with fitness app.
I'm IF for the past year but still gaining weight.
I lift heavy weights at the gym 4 times a week, been doing that for 10 years. My diet is letting me down and change of jobs from an active one to an office job.
The only liquids I have is water, coffee and huel if that counts.

Soldato
Sounds like it's just likely the lack of cardio from the active job to the office based one. That would likely burn a decent chunk of calories through activity which hasn't been replaced whilst eating the same.

I noticed a similar thing when i went from getting the train to work as i'd walk to the station each side (twice a day) and then often walk around the centre of Manchester at lunch too. SO probably around 4-5 miles a day in total. I then changed jobs to an industrial estate and went House > Car > Desk > Car > House and yet ate the same and the weight piled on.

I don't think intermittent fasting will affect things much, it's more down to calories in vs calories out. By logging your food you might be surprised at how many you're consuming without realising it.

Soldato
Sounds like it's just likely the lack of cardio from the active job to the office based one. That would likely burn a decent chunk of calories through activity which hasn't been replaced whilst eating the same.

I noticed a similar thing when i went from getting the train to work as i'd walk to the station each side (twice a day) and then often walk around the centre of Manchester at lunch too. SO probably around 4-5 miles a day in total. I then changed jobs to an industrial estate and went House > Car > Desk > Car > House and yet ate the same and the weight piled on.

I don't think intermittent fasting will affect things much, it's more down to calories in vs calories out. By logging your food you might be surprised at how many you're consuming without realising it.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I have just had my last meal of the day and logged it in. I'm 6ft and weigh 16.5 stone, to lose weight I need to consume 2000 calories according to fitness Pal I have had 1200 calories so I'm 800 short.
I've had:
2 coffees,
Huel black,
Minced lamb, carrots, cauliflower cheese all home made.,
Drank water throughout the day,
I will try and add cardio into my daily life as I'm sure that will help.
Daft question should I be aiming to meet that 2000 calories or should I pat myself on the back that i don't feel hungry despite being 800 short.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve lost weight by having one meal a day at lunchtime for example this week I’ve had Lasagna on Monday, Chicken breast with broccoli and mash on Tuesday and Jacket potato with cheese, ham coleslaw and beetroot today.

I’ve got a set of digital scales which has an app that goes with it to keep track of my weight gain and losses. My ideal weight is 10.62 stone but it can fluctuate between say 10.53 and 10.73.

I weigh myself in the morning and if I’m 10.53 stone I’ll have something for lunch then have something in the evening as well to get my weight back up to 10.63, if I’m 10.63 in the morning I’ll just have the one meal for lunch and skip the evening meal.

So I control my weight by weighing each day and eating accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom