Poll: British Grand Prix 2021, Silverstone - Race 10/23

Rate the 2021 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
Exactly. The game is very different when you are in the lead and have to protect it. You pick your battles carefully, and Hamilton knew he would risk a penalty, but the risks/reward ratio is much different for Hamilton now and he is not going to be so discretionary in his use of hard tactics when he know it will hurt Max more than him.

Lewis has told him before:

Surely he knows now..

Max will never learn. Red bull will drill into him that he did nothing wrong and to carry on. It’s his biggest weakness by far.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
People don’t seem to realise that the 10-second penalty would’ve ended a mere mortal’s race. Sir Lewis, however, is GOAT and therefore only he could come back to win after that penalty. He won on three wheels last year :D

So because it was Lewis, he should have been handed an even stronger penalty?

Caporegime
I didn't realise they were so limited in options. Seems like there needs to be another more substantial penalty if after taking out your main rival in an overtaking manoeuvre where you were at fault you can still go on to win the race. Otherwise you're surely incentivising drivers to tactically clip the wheel of the car in front?

If there was reason to believe it was deliberate action can be taken by the sporting bodies (qv Schumacher), but the stewards shouldn't be making such extreme calls during a race where the result of their judgement can't be appealed.

fez

fez

Caporegime
People don’t seem to realise that the 10-second penalty would’ve ended a mere mortal’s race. Sir Lewis, however, is GOAT and therefore only he could come back to win after that penalty. He won on three wheels last year :D

There is a slight hint of this to it :p

Like the penalty should take into account how good you are and how fast your car is.

I think regardless of RBs whinging about this they will talk to Max behind the scenes and tell him to be smarter. They have a faster car than Mercedes and a driver that is good enough to beat Hamilton in it so there title is theirs to lose. If they are not careful though, they will lose it. Max has made a career out of being a fast driver but also one that expects other people to avoid crashing into him when he does things that are questionable. Thats fine when you are not at the top but when you are there you have to be smarter and play the long game. The risk/reward ratio is suddenly not in his favour.

That clip above with Hamilton is bang on the money. Max is probably right but Hamilton tries to tell him that it doesn't matter. Sitting in the pit telling yourself you were in the right doesn't bring back those 25 points.

Soldato
It's a miracle that Max's actions didn't kill Lewes' car during the contact, yet Max's car had the rear right wheel ripped off before he smashed into the barriers. For all the strength in F1 design, that strength is only on certain planes.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Crash into your championship rival

The more I watch it the more 50/50 I think it is.

Repair car under red flag

Still don't get why that's allowed.

Take a 10 second penalty

I mean...yeah. Either it was worth an actual penalty (a 10sec stop-go that can't be served during a pitstop) or it wasn't worth a penalty at all.

Have team orders handed to you

Apparently team orders are the work of Satan when Ferrari do it, but absolutely fine and dandy when it's Mercedes. Go figure :p

Beat a broken Ferrari

Quite. And even if the Ferrari hadn't been broken it wouldn't exactly be a surprise that the Merc would be faster.

Yeah.... Great win...

He still did very well. It wasn't one of the epic, historical drives that some are hailing it as (those who are, go watch Silverstone '87 and get an education :p). But it was a good drive.

Soldato

I mean...yeah. Either it was worth an actual penalty (a 10sec stop-go that can't be served during a pitstop) or it wasn't worth a penalty at all.

Apparently team orders are the work of Satan when Ferrari do it, but absolutely fine and dandy when it's Mercedes. Go figure :p

Quite. And even if the Ferrari hadn't been broken it wouldn't exactly be a surprise that the Merc would be faster.

He still did very well. It wasn't one of the epic, historical drives that some are hailing it as (those who are, go watch Silverstone '87 and get an education :p). But it was a good drive.
So explain to me why Bottas couldn’t beat a “broken” Ferrari despite bottas not serving no such 10 second penalty…

Soldato

Bottas did brilliantly without a pen!! He really showed that broken Ferrari!!!!

O wait…

fez

fez

Caporegime

I think the fact that no one can agree on it, even the professions, ex racers etc tells you thats its somewhere around 50/50.

I guess a red flag is for a very serious incident which could in theory mean half the field has damage of some sort. Being able to repair those cars and get back to racing is a good thing for the fans. Wouldn't be much fun if 12 cars are limping around the circuit for 50 laps.

Modern life is hyperbole. They try to make everything "epic" and "I haven't seen anyone pull off a drive like that for decades!!" etc. Its all just trying to build hype. See the Euros for a good example of people getting far too carried away with how important it was and how amazing it was that easily one of the best teams in the tournament didn't win it.

Soldato
Gee, let me wonder for a few seconds why Bottas might not be trying very hard right now...
Go on. Wonder your interesting brain on why bottas was nowhere near a “broken” Ferrari LOL.

Go on bruv. Do it .

Hamiltons fault right?

Hamilton made bottas slower than a broke Ferrari!! BAN HIM FOR LIFE!!! Take away his titled. COME ON FIA DO IT!!! We NEED JUSTICE!!!

For shame for a guy from Stevenage to even DARE to be racing in F1!!!!

Associate
It was interesting that F1.com showed a video of Will Buxton and friend whose name I forget (Lawrence?) and one said he thought it was 50/50 and the other BLAMED Max... I dont go that far, but I'm sure its a 50/50 and what happened to the "its the 1st lap, we let them race" mantra?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Go on. Wonder your interesting brain on why bottas was nowhere near a “broken” Ferrari LOL.

Go on bruv. Do it .

Hamiltons fault right?

Hamilton made bottas slower than a broke Ferrari!! BAN HIM FOR LIFE!!! Take away his titled. COME ON FIA DO IT!!! We NEED JUSTICE!!!

For shame for a guy from Stevenage to even DARE to be racing in F1!!!!

What the haemorrhaging **** are you on about?

Soldato
It was interesting that F1.com showed a video of Will Buxton and friend whose name I forget (Lawrence?) and one said he thought it was 50/50 and the other BLAMED Max... I dont go that far, but I'm sure its a 50/50 and what happened to the "its the 1st lap, we let them race" mantra?
I tell you what happened and why Hamilton got penalised and why some here thinking he should have been disqualified..

On second thought, na i wont say why.

I leave it for you ponder

Commissario
Exactly. The game is very different when you are in the lead and have to protect it. You pick your battles carefully, and Hamilton knew he would risk a penalty, but the risks/reward ratio is much different for Hamilton now and he is not going to be so discretionary in his use of hard tactics when he know it will hurt Max more than him.

Lewis has told him before:

Surely he knows now..

I'd forgotten about this - It really shows Max for the aggressive, petulant and childish person he is. He needs to grow up and take some responsibility for his actions.

Man of Honour
It's a miracle that Max's actions didn't kill Lewes' car during the contact, yet Max's car had the rear right wheel ripped off before he smashed into the barriers. For all the strength in F1 design, that strength is only on certain planes.

Hamilton often seems to come off better from these contacts. I remember when him and vettel would collide. That said, Max wandered straight into a pit maneuver.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/lewi...max-verstappen-was-still-in-hospital-12358585 Disgusting. Probably so called ‘fans’ too. Racism is alive and kicking.

Soldato
I'd forgotten about this - It really shows Max for the aggressive, petulant and childish person he is. He needs to grow up and take some responsibility for his actions.
This. I just worry that he won't with people like Horner about, though.

Back
Top Bottom