The decreasing standards of written English

Soldato
Lol dude no valid maths teacher ever uses the word 'addend' or making 10.

You simply call the 7 a 7. Also 7-3 is 4 not 10.
You mean no smart math teacher. An addend is a simple descriptor for a number that is part of a basic addition equation.

You know in Germany they have many more words than us? Now compare the economies. Probably because they spend less time having point out the instances of objects and more times referring to the concept and method in which they reside.

Man of Honour
Should the title use ‘declining’ not ‘decreasing’?

Yes, it sounds better in my opinion.

everyone i know who is very wealthy or well of big house cars the women :p none are good at english written or spoken. its not really important. for 99 percent of things. also people need to realize we have 40 different dialects alone in england alone i think it is along with slang that makes what people assume proper english not proper english.

I’m pretty sure that I understood almost all of that, and I think that you were on to something, but if you’d used a few punctuation marks, it would have been a lot easier to understand.

Naturally - how else would one pronounce his name?

Do have a scone, they're lovely and warm - just out of the oven. If you insist you can have coffee rather than tea, but you should know we all think it's terribly 'new world' of you!

For maybe the first time in my life I’m rendered speechless, as a junior member of the OC tribe, I feel that I should step back here and let the elder statesmen handle the suggestion that Jones rhymes with johns :eek:

Associate
And showing some initiative. Can’t find a job? Do some voluntary work. Help out at a charity. Join online communities. There is not shortage of things to do. Learn a skill and try to sell outputs to people.

Done the whole lot, doesn't help.

One of the jobcentre work coaches straight up told me to stop doing voluntary work because he sees so many people stuck doing it for years and they still have no chance of getting a job.

Soldato
Somewhat ironically, we've reached a moment in time where one doesn't need to 'know' much because there is so much information at our fingertips. Maybe all we'll need in the future is the ability to learn how to find what we need online, and just leave it at that. I hope not, because without curiosity we'll never progress, we'll never go beyond what we 'need' to know.
We are lazy race. As mentioned previously we have access to all this knowledge but how many people actually use it to teach themselves new things? There is a reason why Facebook is at the top of the food chain and not websites aimed at learning new things.

Most people are too lazy to pull out their phone and search for the right answer. Those who care enough, will 'know' it for next time.

Associate
Should the title use ‘declining’ not ‘decreasing’?

Perhaps it would be more elegant but I don't know about more correct

I don't think removing the education aspect would affect employment rates in a developed country like the UK.

So many people I met at the jobcentre with degrees even just GCSEs / A levels that were constantly struggling to find work, not just me.

No employer from mine and these people's experiences care at all about our education.

I mean who doesn't have an education in the UK? How then does having an education set you apart from anyone else?

When only some people have an education yes its desirable. When everyone has it, no one cares.

I understand your anecdotal evidence - but I'm not sure I find it very compelling.

If I were to get a team of people assigned to me and I had to check which of them had bothered to learn to read I'd find delivering projects a lot harder.

Also - not everyone has the same outcomes from education. That's why grades are used to sift through candidates.

Sure - you can argue it's a proxy for raw intellect and an ability to quickly acquire new skills and I wouldn't refute that position, but in my experience some of the skills acquired along the journey are essential in the workplace.

Now - if you were to argue that education is inefficient and curriculums more aligned to workplace needs could replace ancillary subjects with lesser economic value then I'm behind you all the way - but I'm also bias because I hated drama and was never very good at art :)

Soldato
Done the whole lot, doesn't help.

One of the jobcentre work coaches straight up told me to stop doing voluntary work because he sees so many people stuck doing it for years and they still have no chance of getting a job.

Chances are they’d be stuck in a rut in whatever job they were in. Advice should be listened to but not always taken as the only option in a given scenario.

I know you’ve struggled to get a job (assuming you are a real person) but have you assessed what’s gone wrong and tried different things?

With things ‘opening up’ now there appear to be many jobs going around. Start throwing out applications, by the 100s.

What’s stopping you from learning to code or skills required to do first line support?

Soldato
Everyone is advised to not even put their grades on their C.Vs!

As long as you passed, you just put the number of GSCEs and A levels, and Degree subject.
Only if they're poor. Most credible employers where qualifications are relevant will make you fill an online application where you have to state level attained.

A 3rd class degree for example will be rejected by any 'tier 1' employer.

Caporegime
Yes, it sounds better in my opinion.

I’m pretty sure that I understood almost all of that, and I think that you were on to something, but if you’d used a few punctuation marks, it would have been a lot easier to understand.

its the whole point. i dont need to comminicate properly or waste time with " proper english " as it not needed. for you it maybe is for me it makes no difference and only wastes my time.

Associate
Only if they're poor. Most credible employers where qualifications are relevant will make you fill an online application where you have to state level attained.

A 3rd class degree for example will be rejected by any 'tier 1' employer.

What I said is true as long as you are not applying for a job that specifies grades.

'Must have at least 2 A levels' = 2 E grades is fine.

Associate
Everyone is advised to not even put their grades on their C.Vs!

As long as you passed, you just put the number of GSCEs and A levels, and Degree subject.

2.1 or above in my day; 1st if you didn't have three Bs at A level - kept me out of a career starting at the big four and left me unemployed for a while after uni.

Dark times those. I'll never forget a recruitment consultant called Jen who told me I'd walk into any of the firms that were rejecting me in only a few years' time. I wish I'd believed her back then - would have saved me a LOT of worry.

Associate
its the whole point. i dont need to comminicate properly or waste time with " proper english " as it not needed. for you it maybe is for me it makes no difference and only wastes my time.

I think I'm with you (I mean - I used '4' instead of 'for' to save time in my AS level politics mock, much to the outrage of my tutors), but sometimes it can be easier to get your point across with judicial use of grammar. Don't you think?

Associate
I love this guy. Complete no-hoper and is trying to argue that all of these successful people here don't have a clue.

Hey - we're all one fall away from ruin. Half of everyone's choices are luck, like it says in the sunscreen song.

He seems pretty down to me - and we've all been there. Hopefully we can give him a bit of hope that things aren't all that bad.

Soldato
Hey - we're all one fall away from ruin. Half of everyone's choices are luck, like it says in the sunscreen song.

He seems pretty down to me - and we've all been there. Hopefully we can give him a bit of hope that things aren't all that bad.
It is weird how he initially gives everyone this impression. I give you 10 more posts :p

Soldato
There are occasions in life when incorrect comprehension can have catastrophic consequences. I'm thinking of legalese/contracts, specifications, safety advice, and so forth.

They are rare, but can be costly.

Back
Top Bottom