Disgusting display of Racism

Soldato
Racism will never die. I honestly believe it's human nature. There are people who see it for what it is and try to rise above it as I do, but the fact that a large section of society can look at blatantly racist acts like this and see them as virtuous suggests to me that it's just a big cycle that we'll never break free from.
Exactly. IMO if your the sort of person that had to include the word black or white then your the problem. You should just see people.

So this whole thing should just be money to who ever needs it most.

Caporegime
How is it racist?

Because it discriminates on the basis of race. Granted that's a slightly wider definition of racism than simply a belief that some groups are inferior but it's a commonly accepted one.

Racism will never die. I honestly believe it's human nature. There are people who see it for what it is and try to rise above it as I do, but the fact that a large section of society can look at blatantly racist acts like this and see them as virtuous suggests to me that it's just a big cycle that we'll never break free from.

People don't really think properly about this sort of thing, lots of people are naively thinking in terms of group identity etc... they know that lots of white (disproportionately wealthy) people go to Cambridge and so giving a boost to some black students is seen as redressing the balance a bit. That there also exist poorer white students who could equally benefit is glossed over - because of their skin colour they are lumped in with the same group of rich white people.

It's not a good precedent to set, especially if you then start allowing for funding for other racial groups - you'd be less likely to have a general "whites only" scholarship fund, you could quite conceivably have one targeted at "white working-class boys" etc... and plenty of other non-black groups - a British Indian fund, a Chinese fund etc.. if these things became popular and loads of scholarships end up having a race criteria then funding could become a bit lopsided and it won't necessarily always favour funds targeting black students.

Soldato
I get it, i get why Stormzy did it. But discrimination is discrimination and you can't have your cake and eat it too.

To all those who say that this is fine, make sure you don't complain when it is the wrong race doing the discriminating ;)

*cough*The private money argument is a stupid argument*cough*

Soldato
If they weren't his preferred race he'd be giving scholarships to all disadvantaged kids, regardless of their skin colour. I've made my thoughts on religions fairly clear on here.

Link me the thread you started on religious groups funding people in education but only from their religion and how it is wrong.

He is helping kids similar to himself. I get that a lot of people, especially on the right won't like his political activism. He thinks black people are still playing on an uneven playing field. I'm white so have zero experience from a black persons perspective. Again though its his money and he's doing some good with it.

Caporegime
Man of Honour
Meh, non issue, I'd be asking where all the white celebs from poor backgrounds are or why a country this rich needs celebrities to chip in to fix social issues.

I for one, just wish I could fit in at a black barbers. They are always so ******* cool.

If you ever attempt this please film it!

Soldato
Meh, non issue, I'd be asking where all the white celebs from poor backgrounds are or why a country this rich needs celebrities to chip in to fix social issues.

If you ever attempt this please film it!
Honestly there is a funny story here. I did accidently go to one, when the one I aimed for "was open but just doing his mates hair for his wedding", and didn't want to immediately 180 and turn out because, ya know, racist - so I went and sat down. I legit think he got his son to do my hair. He went for a crap twice presumably from the nerves of working on an actual Customer. He took 10x the amount of time and it was aweful. My worst experience ever. I ended up, lol, going to another barber - just at the moment a women was raging about how poor they cut her sons hair. So four barbers later and £40, I finally got a decent hair cut.

Soldato
I'm a bit late to the outrage party but great to see the standard frothers frothing away. I particularly liked the appeal to Martin Luther King by some of our more predictable members, without any hint of self-awareness or irony :cry:

e: a cast list appears!

1. 19 Dis86

2. 10 BallistixOnZ490

3. 7 Cooler running

4. 5 The Running Man

5. 5 james.miller

6. 3 silvagti

7. 3 jsmoke

8. 3 thenewoc

I dare say if a white celebrity made a scholarship fund that said it was only for White British, anyone else need not apply, there would be out rage from the ethnic groups, calling for boycotts of that celebrity or business along with criminal damage to those as well. It's as blatant racist as it could be for that fund not to be open to all with an 80/20 split of funds in favour of White British.

Caporegime
Link me the thread you started on religious groups funding people in education but only from their religion and how it is wrong.

He is helping kids similar to himself. I get that a lot of people, especially on the right won't like his political activism. He thinks black people are still playing on an uneven playing field. I'm white so have zero experience from a black persons perspective. Again though its his money and he's doing some good with it.

It's not. HSBC and Cambridge University are also complicit. Private entities.

Also learn to read. I've never said I started any threads about it. I said I've made my thoughts on religion clear. Two very different statements.

Caporegime
Magnolia - one typical trying to be clever sarcy post that adds absolutely nothing to the thread except add a vain attempt to nurse his ego to prove to himself that he’s so intellectually superior to all the other plebs.

Caporegime
Magnolia - one typical trying to be clever sarcy post that adds absolutely nothing to the thread except add a vain attempt to nurse his ego to prove to himself that he’s so intellectually superior to all the other plebs.

I'm yet to actually see him contribute to a thread with any kind of substance.

Caporegime
Screenshot-20210729-202942-Chrome.jpg

Soldato
I work at a place that has these same kind of initiatives where they sponsor black people to have these career boost programs. It seems to to be the very definition of racism.

Man of Honour
The white celebs can’t do what Stormzy has done, they would be absolutely hammered for it. can’t you see that?

How do you know?

Couldn't do exactly what Stormzy is doing, but a means tested scholarship for poor white kids exclusively? Absolutely. Again, this shouldn't be down to celebs to do.

Honestly there is a funny story here. I did accidently go to one, when the one I aimed for "was open but just doing his mates hair for his wedding", and didn't want to immediately 180 and turn out because, ya know, racist - so I went and sat down. I legit think he got his son to do my hair. He went for a crap twice presumably from the nerves of working on an actual Customer. He took 10x the amount of time and it was aweful. My worst experience ever. I ended up, lol, going to another barber - just at the moment a women was raging about how poor they cut her sons hair. So four barbers later and £40, I finally got a decent hair cut.

Wait how do you know he went for a crap? :D

This is why you have a regular barber, even if I go to my usual I specially request certain people because I've seen the others butcher people's hair but the customers are obviously first timers who are too afraid to say anything.

Back
Top Bottom