• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Soldato
Ripped off probably isn't the right word. All my life when you buy hardware you had to live with the reality that in a few months or even weeks you'd be able to buy something better for less.
Ripped off seems like the right word when you are being offered something worse for more money. Not that its OCUK fault but its understandable that people feel they are being ripped off because they are paying more for less and not just a few months or week later but a year later. At the moment the only choices are bad choices, its just a matter of choosing what we see as the least worse choice.

Soldato
Shrug. Ripped off implies it's not a supply and demand issue. I'm not sure who on the chain is making the money, it certainly isn't retailers like OCUk
No it doesn't imply its not a supply and demand issue. It implies people are feeling they are overpaying for a product and/or paying more money for less which is precisely what is happening. Most people are aware its not OCUK fault but it doesn't change the feeling of being ripped off. Paying extra to downgrade to a worse product is precisely what creates that feeling even though its for some people the least worst option.

Feeling ripped off is the right word when you pay £200 extra to downgrade to a worse product. OCUK are doing the right thing by offering the "upgrades" as its a choice people can choose not to take it. Like I said before at the moment there are no good options. Its a matter of picking what you see as the least worse option.

Associate
Yes, but there is no deception. At all times people have the choice to back out and get a refund. It's like being ripped because you're paying for one thing and getting another but at the end of the day the consumer is fully aware of what they are ultimately paying for. Nothing is being miss sold or miss represented. Frankly I'd go further and say that all of us who where or are in the queue a year later where fully aware of the stock situation and the potential for an order to go unfilled. We joined a queue when the site showed no stock available, I remember big warnings on the site about stock. Anyone who feels deceived frankly deluded themselves.

Associate
Ripped off seems like the right word when you are being offered something worse for more money. Not that its OCUK fault but its understandable that people feel they are being ripped off because they are paying more for less and not just a few months or week later but a year later. At the moment the only choices are bad choices, its just a matter of choosing what we see as the least worse choice.

Exactly this.

I had a high-end 3080 on order (ROG Strix OC), opted for a 'lower' end 3080 Ti just to do what I could to minimise the price difference! (Zotac AMP HOLO). It was £300 cheaper than the ROG Strix Ti and the only real tangible difference I could see was a slightly nicer heatsink fan shroud on the ASUS....

Permabanned
Exactly this.

I had a high-end 3080 on order (ROG Strix OC), opted for a 'lower' end 3080 Ti just to do what I could to minimise the price difference! (Zotac AMP HOLO). It was £300 cheaper than the ROG Strix Ti and the only real tangible difference I could see was a slightly nicer heatsink fan shroud on the ASUS....
This is the same for me, I’ve had bad experiences with Zotac before but they seem better now but I went with the FTW3 3080Ti as it wasn’t to bad it’s mainly the import price that’s gonna make it expensive. There is very little between the Evga and ASUS card really just a factory oc.

Associate
After a 10 month vigil my wait is over. I took possession of the long awaited packet of Haribos earlier today & would you believe it they even threw in a TUF 3070ti OC with it. Awsome!!! On a serious note though I took OCUK up on their upgrade/downgrade offer & went for the latter as couldn't persuade "she who must be obeyed" to shell out another £400 for a 3080ti. Thanks to CS for sorting it all out within an hour yesterday. All installed & running like a dream! Thanks to @ScottiB & @Gibbo for all the updates, info & advice over the last 10 monts. You both are legends! Also thanks to the OCUK backroom staff. I hope that all those still waiting you get yours soon. Now I have to find something else to fill my spare time other than skulking around these forums. Maybe take up knitting!!!! Peace out xx

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, but there is no deception. At all times people have the choice to back out and get a refund. It's like being ripped because you're paying for one thing and getting another but at the end of the day the consumer is fully aware of what they are ultimately paying for. Nothing is being miss sold or miss represented. Frankly I'd go further and say that all of us who where or are in the queue a year later where fully aware of the stock situation and the potential for an order to go unfilled. We joined a queue when the site showed no stock available, I remember big warnings on the site about stock. Anyone who feels deceived frankly deluded themselves.

none of that was there when I joined the queue 10 months ago. There’s no way they would have took pre orders if they knew for a fact this would be the situation.

Which is why I have patients about the situation but it’s still a very bad situation to garner so many pre orders and not be able to fulfil it, you always have some rough idea about stock levels, It’s bad faith and I’m assuming they will want to try and win the customer support back. They have had and spent over and over my money probably several hundred times over now. Even if they just say the millions in sales in a account it would be getting interest.

I expect as a customer to have my order filled if needs be at ocuks cost. It’s what I would do with my shop and would expect nothing less from another shop.

so no I can’t see your point saying it’s basically the customers fault. They didn’t have to have the listing open for pre orders. If you can order it as a customer the expectation is that it will be fulfilled.

Associate
none of that was there when I joined the queue 10 months ago. There’s no way they would have took pre orders if they knew for a fact this would be the situation.

Which is why I have patients about the situation but it’s still a very bad situation to garner so many pre orders and not be able to fulfil it, you always have some rough idea about stock levels, It’s bad faith and I’m assuming they will want to try and win the customer support back. They have had and spent over and over my money probably several hundred times over now. Even if they just say the millions in sales in a account it would be getting interest.

I expect as a customer to have my order filled if needs be at ocuks cost. It’s what I would do with my shop and would expect nothing less from another shop.

so no I can’t see your point saying it’s basically the customers fault. They didn’t have to have the listing open for pre orders. If you can order it as a customer the expectation is that it will be fulfilled.

I'm usually reluctant to argue with people on the internet. People are free to feel what they want. If you believe OCuk was a faithless actor by accepting pre orders then why did you not cancel your order once the company made it clear that they would never have sufficient stock?

Do you have a bank account, what interest do you get? Business accounts are attracting negative interest rates for the last 12 to 18 months. OCuk may have invested the money I suppose but that would be mental way to run a business. Try holding a few million on deposit and see what rate you get.

I never said it was the customers fault, I certainly don't feel it was my fault and I've been in the queue since near launch date. However , I don't feel conned, cheated, ripped off or tricked. At every stage in this it's been very clear what the situation was, any one who feels ripped off should look to there own agency in this process.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm usually reluctant to argue with people on the internet. People are free to feel what they want. If you believe OCuk was a faithless actor by accepting pre orders then why did you not cancel your order once the company made it clear that they would never have sufficient stock?

Do you have a bank account, what interest do you get? Business accounts are attracting negative interest rates for the last 12 to 18 months. OCuk may have invested the money I suppose but that would be mental way to run a business. Try holding a few million on deposit and see what rate you get.

I never said it was the customers fault, I certainly don't feel it was my fault and I've been in the queue since near launch date. However , I don't feel conned, cheated, ripped off or tricked. At every stage in this it's been very clear what the situation was, any one who feels ripped off should look to there own agency in this process.
When people say they have a feeling of being ripped off here, most of them don't mean conned, cheated or any form of deception. Its perfectly understandable why some people feel ripped off. I don't believe anyone is trying to say OCUK is being deceptive or purposely trying to rip people off as they are not. Like us OCUK are trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Associate
Shruggo, it's very evocative language. Bad Faith, Ripped off. One user talked about suing. It's simply not fair to OCUk. Words matter and sorry but not sorry for pulling folks up when they throw around terms. It's actually disgraceful the level of ingratitude, the alternative was no pre-orders and paying ful rate now.

Associate
Shruggo, it's very evocative language. Bad Faith, Ripped off. One user talked about suing. It's simply not fair to OCUk. Words matter and sorry but not sorry for pulling folks up when they throw around terms. It's actually disgraceful the level of ingratitude, the alternative was no pre-orders and paying ful rate now.
Are you real, the option was not to take thousands of orders at launch and people can use the market. I am not for OCUK bashing but you seem to overlook that some people have been on pre- order for nearly a year and they should be gratefull for the hope they would get what they ordered :)

Soldato
While I agree some of the users language and attitude is disgraceful and goes too far. Personally I don't find most of the people saying they have a feeling of being ripped off as unreasonable as its a perfectly normal and understandable feeling to have given the situation. Most people mean by feeling of rip off as in charging too much, overpaying or not giving value for money spent. They don't mean cheating or deceptive. Most of them are not blaming OCUK for the prices. Most of us understand this is not OCUK fault but that doesn't change the feeling of paying to much when you downgrade to a 3070ti for £200 extra. Like I said before there are no good options at the moment and its understandable some people don't feel its good value for money.

Associate
Are you real, the option was not to take thousands of orders at launch and people can use the market. I am not for OCUK bashing but you seem to overlook that some people have been on pre- order for nearly a year and they should be gratefull for the hope they would get what they ordered :)

I was one of those people. You overlook the utility provided by knowing by knowing you where in a queue, any queue. It obviously was something people found valuable. You also overlook that for the best part of the year people knowingly remained in the queue even with warnings fulfilment of orders was doubtful. There was a weekly email for Christ sake with numbers going down a dozen or less a week. Feeling hard done by is fine, feeling like you over paid is fine, feeling disappointed is fine. Feeling ripped off, well that ignore folks own agency. We're not talking a home to live in or food on the table.

Anyway, I'm not surprised by this, it s well established people in general cannot assess risk reward.

Associate
well it’s been an absolute hoot guys but i am
OUT of this 3080 queue

was 41 in the queue for Strix OC and i’ve chose to go for the 3070 TI version of it - didn’t have to pay more as I got the discount which made it the same price

i have to vent my frustration about Nvidia though as i think it’s absolutely appalling how they’ve dealt with this whole thing - announcing 3080s at such a low price knowing they didn’t have enough stock and not to mention these LHR variants or whatever they are, i think they’ve done it on purpose so they can increase the prices later down the line but whatever my opinion doesn’t matter to them as long as they have the cash

it’s been a rollercoaster
glad you got sorted no doubt the strix 3070ti is a great card! let us know your thoughts on it after youve had it for a few days? honestly think the chances of getting an original 3080 of any type now is becoming a rare occurence,:)

After a 10 month vigil my wait is over. I took possession of the long awaited packet of Haribos earlier today & would you believe it they even threw in a TUF 3070ti OC with it. Awsome!!! On a serious note though I took OCUK up on their upgrade/downgrade offer & went for the latter as couldn't persuade "she who must be obeyed" to shell out another £400 for a 3080ti. Thanks to CS for sorting it all out within an hour yesterday. All installed & running like a dream! Thanks to @ScottiB & @Gibbo for all the updates, info & advice over the last 10 monts. You both are legends! Also thanks to the OCUK backroom staff. I hope that all those still waiting you get yours soon. Now I have to find something else to fill my spare time other than skulking around these forums. Maybe take up knitting!!!! Peace out xx

HEY! G-MAN, great stuff! finally an end to the suffering!:p hope you can finally have some peace now, and fun, you do realise that the forum addiction is one that is very difficult to break! - very happy for you, peace mate.:) would be great to hear your impressions on it after youve used it for awhile?

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Weekly email only came weeks after forum members had created their own database for estimating queue position and estimated date of arrival, most if not all suppliers stopped Preorders within a week of launch when it became clear major stock shortage and supply was an issue, OCUK were still taking preorders weeks later in October.
That is where the massive backlog of orders here started and has been the major issue since along with getting poor amounts or nil stock on some cards compared with others.

Associate
so true full support here:)

Associate
A mate ordered a whole pre-build from [not ocuk], he had to return it 3 times due to crashing issues and once for it being delivered with a totally bent cooler probably from being dropped during shipping. But he is now the owner of a 3080! All it took was 8 months..

I think Gibbo said sales had been nuts, as in the shear demand just out striped supply by a factor of 10. According to miners, it isn't miners :)

If nVidia doubled production would that be enough cards? Triple? imo it's miners as stock alerts are still thin on the ground. Crypto prices still remain high enough to profit from.

Back
Top Bottom