E-on want to install a Smart meter

Soldato
When I changed to E.ON for electric one of the terms was having a smart meter fitted -
They have now started to text me asking when they can come and do it.

So what can I expect this smart meter to do. Are electric units universal or can they tweek them a bit, like last week I used 60 so can they up it a bit so I use 65 etc.

To be honest I don't want one but it was terms and conditions.
I take a reading every Monday and send it in on their web site so at least I have a 12 month record I can compare it with.

I have always been on the ball with power supplier in checking on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just sits there like a regular meter and you'll probly be given a plug in display to put somewhere that will stay in contact with your smart meter and show current and past usage and costs.

Permabanned
@OP do you mean E.ON?

If so they are one of the worse companies I have ever had the misfortune of having dealt with.

Soldato
You’ll find that nothing changes other than the meter is more up to date and self reports your usage to the supplier.

The whole smart meter thing has been blown out of proportion, there is nothing to worry about.

The only real issues with them is where a few isolated installations were done incorrectly but I haven’t heard about any recent issues with this.

Soldato
OP
@OP do you mean E.ON?

If so they are one of the worse companies I have ever had the misfortune of having dealt with.

I knew it look wrong but couldn't put my finger on it - Old age has really set in.:o

Also I was changed from NPower to E.ON and after looking round at other providers the diffence wasn't a lot over all so stayed with NPower/E.ON

Soldato
When I changed to E.ON for electric one of the terms was having a smart meter fitted -
They have now started to text me asking when they can come and do it.

So what can I expect this smart meter to do. Are electric units universal or can they tweek them a bit, like last week I used 60 so can they up it a bit so I use 65 etc.

To be honest I don't want one but it was terms and conditions.
I take a reading every Monday and send it in on their web site so at least I have a 12 month record I can compare it with.

I have always been on the ball with power supplier in checking on a regular basis.

It might be in their "T&C's" but it's not enforceable. I was with EOn for probably 18 months and constantly badgered that my tariff required a smart meter. They require a short disruption to your electrical supply and are only available for installation on Mon-Fri between 9am and 5pm. Although they don't know that i WFH, i would have just claimed that i'm not taking a days holiday just so they can fit a smart meter. Either have evening/weekend appointments available or accept that some people won't be able to have them installed. TBH they never did much than the weekly text message.

Soldato
There really is no down side to having it, i don't know why some people are so against them?

Only thing is maybe an hour disruption to your power when it's being installed but you'll get a little energy monitor which is quite useful especially if you have solar as you can easily tell when you're generating enough electric to put the washing machine on for 'free' etc. It's really helped my wife visually see how much we use and time things to maximise the use of our solar panels.

Associate
My biggest concern is what happens when the battery in the gas meter fails and it cuts off my gas.

The meters in my home often fail to transmit to the provider for weeks/months at a time so I doubt they would know when the battery fails (assuming they even bother if they do know!)

Soldato
It might be in their "T&C's" but it's not enforceable. I was with EOn for probably 18 months and constantly badgered that my tariff required a smart meter. They require a short disruption to your electrical supply and are only available for installation on Mon-Fri between 9am and 5pm. Although they don't know that i WFH, i would have just claimed that i'm not taking a days holiday just so they can fit a smart meter. Either have evening/weekend appointments available or accept that some people won't be able to have them installed. TBH they never did much than the weekly text message.
To be honest if i was an engineer i wouldnt want to install one in someones home if they are that petty. Comical that you expect everyone to work outside your working hours, it would be interesting if next time you rang a company for anything they responded with "why dont you call us outside of our office hours"

i really dont get why people have to be so hostile over nothing

@op just get it installed, it will mean no estimated bills and it literally costs you nothing and impacts you in no negative way

Soldato
Comical that you expect everyone to work outside your working hours, it would be interesting if next time you rang a company for anything they responded with "why dont you call us outside of our office hours"

The mere fact that i'm paying for the service allows me to dictate when i would like the meter installed. It's not exactly unreasonable to expect them to provide the service over an evening or a weekend. If your employer was inflexible then that would leave the only possibility to have one installed is on a day that you take as annual leave - which is frankly absurd to expect.

In most cases you're not actually benefitting by having a smart meter installed, you're doing it for your suppliers benefit. So the least they could be is a little more accommodating when it comes to installation schedules.

Soldato
Smart meters are great, they are so good that my energy company estimates my elec bill......and does that very wrong!
Now I'm in a long winded dispute and apparently is going to take over 28days to solve, eventhough I've sent photographic proof of meter readings, 7 days apart.

Soldato
Smart meters are great, they are so good that my energy company estimates my elec bill......and does that very wrong!
Now I'm in a long winded dispute and apparently is going to take over 28days to solve, eventhough I've sent photographic proof of meter readings, 7 days apart.

Depends which generation of smart meter it is. 1st gen were pretty useless compared to 2nd gen which is being installed now

Soldato
Really don't see what people are against having one installed for, I had a 2nd gen one installed with British Gas, switched to Eon and it's all transferred across, I checked the meter readings it submitted last month and they were 100% accurate so I'll just let it tick along on it's own, you don't even have to have the little display unit plugged in and switched on it's just for your benefit.

I honestly can't see the reason some people are so against having one installed, maybe they're anti vaccer freeman of the land types but before having one installed it was a constant fight with the energy companies because despite me sending my readings in they always provided estimate bills for my convenience.

Back
Top Bottom