Road Cycling

Soldato
You might find it's ok, or just won't go into 52*28 - so just don't use that extreme on your turbo. As it's a turbo then really not much need for a 50t on there anyway!

My turbo bike lives in the 50T as I'm still on a Kinetic Road Machine. I have to drop in to 50x12 for the leg strength sessions which are around or above FTP at 50 to 60pm.

New cassette and chainring came on Friday / Saturday, so yesterday afternoon I stuck the new cassette on. Still horrible chain jump, so off with the crankset and stick the new 50T outer on. Initial short test showed no jump, so I did wonder if the cassette was okay and it was the outer. Can I be bothered to swap the cassettes again to find out though? Probably not!

Soldato
Seems Canyon had a restock this morning. Had some Ultimate CF SL Ultegra/Disc ready to be sent out. I hesitated over it for about 10 minutes and then by the time I refreshed, all gone!

Sorry to keep flogging a dead horse and I promise once I actually get my bike I'll be too busy sitting on the saddle to be mucking up the forums but...

If you were me, trying to get your first road bike... Would you go dics or rims? I'll find out over the next few days where my place is in the queue for the ultegra/rim bike but I'm just wondering if it's wiser that I just have a bit of patience and spend the extra for discs

Soldato
Another week off for me last week with nowt planned so just did quite a bit of bike riding. Rode to see a friend up at Salisbury and back on Tuesday in the best of the weather for 135 miles then did South downs way on Saturday for another 8 hours in the saddle plus 3x50+ milers in between. Clocked up 411 miles for the week and 29 hours of riding...

Associate
Out of interest, how's the progression with cycling? I know with running it's generally advised to build up very slowly and gradually to build up to marathon distance. Is there anything like that with cycling? I assume it's just a case of doing as long as your fitness can last and in theory as long as you rest and can physically do it then you can just go as long as you're capable of?

I want to do long rides and often see people in a local cycling facebook group organise rides around 60-80 miles. I'm curious how long it may take to build up to that level.

It took me a couple of months for me to build up to my first 60 mile ride and i was increasing roughly 10km a week on my long rides coming from not riding at all. The first group ride i did was 60 miles and the people in my group were pretty relaxed and experiance and was happy to take me under their wings. I was worried at the beginning that i'd hold them up and said if they wanted to drop me that's fine as i didnt want to ruin their ride. They said they had invited me to join them and it would be poor form to drop me. I was able to keep up with them and had a nice coffee stop 40 miles in, was nice to cycle in a group and have a chat and been with a few rides with the same group now.

Soldato
Out of interest, how's the progression with cycling? I know with running it's generally advised to build up very slowly and gradually to build up to marathon distance. Is there anything like that with cycling? I assume it's just a case of doing as long as your fitness can last and in theory as long as you rest and can physically do it then you can just go as long as you're capable of?

I want to do long rides and often see people in a local cycling facebook group organise rides around 60-80 miles. I'm curious how long it may take to build up to that level.

If they are organised group rides they may have a very strong pace... But more generally, I found the build up to 50 miles a much bigger task then that of going from 50 up to a 200 mile cycle in a day. After 50 miles it really is all about pacing yourself on climbs, eating reguarly and mental stamina.

Soldato
ooo what you buying?
https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycl...clincher-disc-brake-front-wheel/12509879.html

Probably. Can save more a few quid getting it from Bikeinn but a bit of an unknown. Saw one forum thread about them selling then shipping from outside of EU, into EU then getting stung with a Bexit import charge...! Few quid more from PBK for peace of mind... I've not bought specifically from them before so went to register an account and there's a referral link bit.

That's if I don't spot it on one of the other sides with topcashback or quidco to make it closer to 400...

Soldato
Dunno if too late but Tweeks cycles have it at £413 with 6.6% cash back.

I got out again tonight. Did just under 11 miles and it then started to get dark quite quickly and I was using a running torch for a front light which wasn’t charged much so made the decision to get home quick.

New chain has certainly helped gear changes and I guess some better practice of thinking of gears in advance of hills etc helps.

Can’t work out if the new brake pads are running slightly though on the discs. It seemed to spin ok when I was home but there was a rubbing kind of sound during the ride.

Have ordered some lights, padded shorts and a bag for storage which will come in handy I’m sure.

Also ordered some Hybrid pedals (Shimano M324) and some trainers which accept cleats.

Also gone with a mount for my Garmin Fenix. For £10 it seems worthwhile and can be used for mapping too.

At this point. Is there any point thinking about Power meters/cadence sensors? I like numbers and data so my head says yes. But it’s a fairly hefty cost to get into that side it seems.

Soldato
At this point. Is there any point thinking about Power meters/cadence sensors? I like numbers and data so my head says yes. But it’s a fairly hefty cost to get into that side it seems.

Cadence possibly but no to power. You can get a cadence sensor for less than £30 but a power meter you’re looking at £400 or so.

Id be looking at a proper computer before a cadence sensor though, you’ll struggle to get many data fields on to your watch’s screen as is without adding extra metrics in.

I’d also make sure you actually like cycling in the long term before you go dropping power meter money!

Associate
If it’s a new bike or a bike with new pads a little rubbing would be normal for the pads to bed in.

otherwise it may need a little adjustment theres a good gcn video https://youtu.be/gQ_oIAPuQR8

cadence sensor would be useful I got mine in a bundle when I got the wahoo computer, power sensor would overkill at the moment and are pretty expensive.

Soldato
Cadence possibly but no to power. You can get a cadence sensor for less than £30 but a power meter you’re looking at £400 or so.

Id be looking at a proper computer before a cadence sensor though, you’ll struggle to get many data fields on to your watch’s screen as is without adding extra metrics in.

I’d also make sure you actually like cycling in the long term before you go dropping power meter money!

I get 8 per screen on my watch, albeit not the biggest for quick glances at a whopping 1.6" :p With running i usually have it split into 3 which is perfectly readable and when set to auto scroll i figure it should be doable. I guess the main thing is around whether it's beneficial post ride for analysis. For £30 i might get the Garmin one.

The pads are new so will see if the rubbing sound stops over the next few rides.

Soldato
Thanks all for the referral links, but let you all down and actually ordered it through Tweeks ;)

So good shout Martyn! Thanks. Do love a bit of cashback and brought it nicely towards the 400. Also pay day today so can even justify it (a little) with the finance department!

Now I'm back onto tyres... Tubeless 28mm, kinda considering tanwalls as although my frame doesn't really suit, the wheels are very dark/subtle decals so they may look good. Certainly better than on my current. But that does limit choices quite a bit. I think I'm currently between the Vittoria Corsa G2.0 TLR and the GP 5000 TL. The Corsa does have a tanwall option, but I think the Continental are swinging it as I've ridden conti before and they can come in at £40 each hunting around, the Corsas being over £50 and more of an unknown.

For those also looking, I found the Specialized Turbo Rapidair in 26mm for £40 here, but the 28mm I couldn't really find for much below £56-57. Shame as I really like the Roubaix Pro 30/32's I'm riding now and at £30 each they're really budget friendly.

Also gone with a mount for my Garmin Fenix. For £10 it seems worthwhile and can be used for mapping too.

Saw the bar mounts for watches and the Garmin one even coming in cheaper than other non-branded. Pretty much a no brainer! I do know some Tri riders who have both a head unit and a watch on their bars. I would assume watch for metrics and head unit for additional + mapping.

As a new rider I'd say cadence is good alongside HR to get an idea on pacing things. That's where most of us started really... Power is quite an investment in money and time. You really need to be using it as a training aid to properly benefit from it, not just using it for the sake of it (like I seem to be!) :cry:

In other news, blew myself up twice last weekend doing some local hills. Dorstone I was just going too hard at the bottom, 4 mins rest before continuing. But looking at the data/time if I'd paced it better at the bottom I'd have been close to 9 mins and PR by nearly 30s. Was not aiming for one - just trying to get up the damn thing! If it'd gone much better I had my eye on this brutal segment. Need to find some climbing legs and then I'll have another crack at it. Did an unplanned circular route up the Golden Valley I've not done for a while, good fun but mostly block headwind. Did check out another steep one to Vowchurch I'd not ridden before and blew myself up before it even got to the steepest bit. Really want to cross that one off - but again need better legs. Seems like I'm back to my 'hunt for climbing legs' after far too much Zwifting and beer/cake...

Think I need to do some VO2Max type sessions - to sit at those high wattages, at near max HR and low cadence without blowing up...?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks all for the referral links, but let you all down and actually ordered it through Tweeks ;)

So good shout Martyn! Thanks. Do love a bit of cashback and brought it nicely towards the 400. Also pay day today so can even justify it (a little) with the finance department!

Glad i could finally give something back! :p

I got lucky on the mount, it's around £25 full price, but found someone on ebay selling it cheap as they'd lost the mounts for the small and regular sized Fenix watch which is lucky as i have the larger X model anyway. Also went for a frame bag which has a clear pocket on top for a phone. I figure that gives the best of both worlds for now before i move on. Just a shame that Garmin don't allow some kind of syncing between watch and the app to get data on both devices for the same "ride".

My wife has to go down to her head office in Surrey in November and it's around 20 miles from Box Hill, i've said i'd drive her down there as she can't really drive long distances like that. I feel once i've done that i'll feel like a real cyclist (i know it's not exactly the hardest of rides). Hopefully i can have built up to a good distance by then. I did 11 miles last night and certainly feel i could've easily carried on for a lot longer. I'm just mindful of the recovery and my need to hit ~30 mile running each week this week and next. Then September i've a 30ish mile race at the end. Then come October i can give longer rides a bit more thought.

Soldato
Hmm interesting video. I was curious last night how my cycling speed compared to "average". My 2 rides so far have been around the 12.5mph area. I was curious how it might change if i switched to the 32mm road tyres i was given with the bike vs the 38mm gravel tyres given i'm realising i'm likely to spend most of my time on the roads. The 32mm width should still give decent grip i'd have thought.

Came across this video, so think i'm going to switch over and see what the real world impact is for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCrL7yHPMqo&ab_channel=GCNTech

Soldato
I guess the main thing is around whether it's beneficial post ride for analysis. For £30 i might get the Garmin one.

I find it useful during the ride mostly as opposed to afterwards, I find it really useful to know, just to keep me around the right speed if I start daydreaming and on hills etc. Definitely worth the cost of the sensor.

My 2 rides so far have been around the 12.5mph area. I was curious how it might change if i switched to the 32mm road tyres i was given with the bike vs the 38mm gravel tyres given i'm realising i'm likely to spend most of my time on the roads. The 32mm width should still give decent grip i'd have thought.

Came across this video, so think i'm going to switch over and see what the real world impact is for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCrL7yHPMqo&ab_channel=GCNTech

Switching over now won’t give you any meaningful info imo - your average speed has been 12.5mph because you’ve been out twice!

You’ll get significantly faster quite quickly just by riding. That’s not to say don’t switch tyres, just don’t be surprised when you’re quicker next time out, and the time after that, and the time after that, regardless of setup etc.

I would honestly say the best way you can spend your time and money at the moment is just to ride it a load while we’ve still got the weather and stop worrying so much about setup etc.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Back on the trainer again after a 5weeks ish off recovering from Outlaw.... Ramp test on trainer road down 6% FTP and it hurt so bad :)

Struggling to get back into training though have to say, very little motivation.

Soldato
I would honestly say the best way you can spend your time and money at the moment is just to ride it a load while we’ve still got the weather and stop worrying so much about setup etc.

I *think* i'm done now, the only think i think i could do with changing would be the front chainring from the 48 to something like a 50/52 in the future when i'm stronger as it seems it's setup more for actual gravel use than a mix, but that's a long way off yet!

I am debating whether the pedals/shoes were necessary, but at £45 for both it's not a huge cost as an experiment.

Also a slight win, i seem to have sold the spare front wheel, old cassette and toolkit with broken chain tool so that's re-couped a decent chunk of cash.

Soldato
I *think* i'm done now, the only think i think i could do with changing would be the front chainring from the 48 to something like a 50/52 in the future when i'm stronger as it seems it's setup more for actual gravel use than a mix, but that's a long way off yet!

I am debating whether the pedals/shoes were necessary, but at £45 for both it's not a huge cost as an experiment.

Also a slight win, i seem to have sold the spare front wheel, old cassette and toolkit with broken chain tool so that's re-couped a decent chunk of cash.

48 is the ring of champions (I'm only saying that as I run 48/17 - that'll change once I enter the modern world!)

Went for a short 25 mile ride yesterday with a few hills. I'm getting quite good at climbing (comparatively speaking, not a patch on most of you) compared to my recent efforts and I managed to beat some of my friends with road bikes up the hills... What I didn't expect to happen though was that going down the hills caused my legs to spin so fast that I ended up getting horrible cramp in both legs within the space of about 5 minutes!

Lovely ride other than that though. No pain no gain.

Soldato
48 is the ring of champions (I'm only saying that as I run 48/17 - that'll change once I enter the modern world!)

Went for a short 25 mile ride yesterday with a few hills. I'm getting quite good at climbing (comparatively speaking, not a patch on most of you) compared to my recent efforts and I managed to beat some of my friends with road bikes up the hills... What I didn't expect to happen though was that going down the hills caused my legs to spin so fast that I ended up getting horrible cramp in both legs within the space of about 5 minutes!

Lovely ride other than that though. No pain no gain.

I run a 52-36 on my road bike and big 58 Oval on my TT and generally grind away at 80 or lower cadence, but actually really like the 30-46 up front on my gravel bike. Rarely feel like I need more gears on it.

Back
Top Bottom