What film did you watch last night?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The Condemned - 5/10

The Stone Cold Steve Austin vehicle from 2007 that took all the best bits of The Running Man...and threw them in the bin. With the bag of leftovers they wrote a script that either needed five more rewrites or about six fewer. And then hired a cast who were mostly just anonymous with few exceptions.

And yet...Vinnie Jones picking bits of the scenery out of his teeth is fun, it's very competently shot, Austin doesn't embarrass himself...and there's grains of a decent story here. It needed the satirical edge of TRM or the Verhoeven RoboCop films and didn't quite get there.

Still, at least it's not The Great Wall.

Associate
Watched a french film 'Meander' about a girl that is abducted and has to make her way through a tube filled with various traps. Not one for the claustrophobic!

Also started to watch 'Snake Eyes: G.I.Joe Origins' - Bit of turn your brain off and watch action film.

Soldato
Luca - 4/10

As others have mentioned good animation but the story was dull and predictable. Pixar have fallen far from their tree when you think about titles like Toy Story or even Finding Nemo which had great story writing, a bit of edge and enough of a nod to the adult audience to keep them entertained without offending the kids. This was just a soft donkey’s bottom play it safe Disney movie.

Soldato
Reminiscence (2021) - 5/10

Soggy Noir – some great ideas, but flawed in its execution.

With the charm, style and character of a ‘detective noir’ film but set in an alternative future where ecological disaster threatens to end and upheave society, the film should have a lot going for it.

Unfortunately, there isn’t enough to make it stand out – the story keeps you engaged enough, but the setting is underused and it can’t really decide what it wants to do with all of its ideas.

The plot is traditional detective noir with plenty of twists, a damsel in distress, a handsome rogue who plays by his own rules, an alcoholic sidekick, mobsters and a corrupt elite ruling class, but this time, it has a memory viewing technology gimmick which once again provides the audience with the idea of escapism from the grim real world, a desire that many other recent productions have also tapped into.

The acting is good with a strong cast who convincingly portray their tragic love stories and the infrequent actions scenes look good and add some excitement, although they do seem a bit out of place.

The reminiscence mechanic is functional, but not very spectacular to watch, the slowly flooding city may look great, but is only used as an allegory and the social upheaval it refers to isn’t used to any great effect.

Much like this review, the film is too long to say too little and whilst entertaining enough, ends up being a bit boring.

Well put review of this film.

Watched last night with GF. Towards the end, we were both sighing a bit at the way the plot unfolded. Started slow, sort of got better then fizzled out at the end. Given some of the sets, I'd be suprised with WB don't take a bit of a bath on this one.

A damp squib of a film. We were not so generious with a 3/4 out of 10.

Soldato
The Green Knight - I don't know what I expected of this tbh but I really enjoyed it, great tale of a man obsessed with honour who could never then follow through with honorable acts. Borderline fantasy with some of the imagery but it drew me in and was engaged right up to the final credits. - 7.5/10

Soldato
Arrival

Sadly no death and destruction in this Sci fi version of aliens landing in various parts of earth.

I can appreciate the beautiful cinematography and definitely some different ideas to ponder.

For some reason though I found the lead woman really annoying which is apparently an unpopular opinion. .

I'm glad I saw it but I just found it rather underwhelming and I groaned out loud at the ending and not in a good way!

6.5/10

+1

Found it a bore fest and predictable and you are not alone in finding her annoying as hell and then some.

Man of Honour
Final Days on Sky, I sat and watched this and the entire time I couldnt shake the feeling that I had seen this film very recently but Asian.

Finally figured it out, its almost an exact replica of a Korean film I watched last year on Netflix called #Alive

Needless to say, as is often the case, the Korean film was better

Soldato
Small tribe!

Arrival is one of the best scifi movies in a very long time.

No laser space battles, no chest bursting body horror, no grand final scene where the US President saves the day by blowing up the aliens? Hardly sci fi at all...

;)

I saw Arrival at the cinema and thought it was very good (had to explain the circular time travel bit to my partner afterwards as she was left a bit bemused, but otherwise she also enjoyed the movie). The sound system was definitely part of the experience that would probably be missed by most people watching at home.

Soldato
No laser space battles, no chest bursting body horror, no grand final scene where the US President saves the day by blowing up the aliens? Hardly sci fi at all...

;)

I saw Arrival at the cinema and thought it was very good (had to explain the circular time travel bit to my partner afterwards as she was left a bit bemused, but otherwise she also enjoyed the movie). The sound system was definitely part of the experience that would probably be missed by most people watching at home.
Yes, I'd tend to agree. I checked the IMDb score I gave it and I gave it an 8, which seems to tie in with the 7.9 it now scores with over half a million votes. One man's meat.... ;)

Soldato

;)

It's a slow thinky sci-fi story about life, making choices even if you know the outcomes, how language governs thinking, cyclical time, future events, etc, as well as the actual mystery of the aliens and the puzzle of understanding them.

It's not for everyone, but then not much is. Sometimes it is nice to think about what is happening in the story, instead of being bombarded with overwhelming visual effects so you don't think at all and the story and characters don't matter.

Soldato
Boss Level 7/10 surprisingly entertaining. I didn't have a high hopes but I was very pleasantly surprised. Grillo plays the part well, the script and direction were pretty good and even Mel turned in a small but decent performance. It's not going to be a classic but it was everything I could have hoped for.

Started Little Big Man but not finished, what a great movie that is.

Back
Top Bottom