What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Knives Out (an easy 8/10)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8946378/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Great story and cast, brilliantly acted but special mention goes to Daniel Craig who plays the slightly eccentric, southern detective superbly, Don Johnson who slides into these roles like a fitted glove, Jamie Lee Curtis who is compelling and Ana de Armas who was relatively unknown to me (didn't recognise her from Blade Runner 2049) but pulls of her central character role very convincingly.

A thorougly enjoyable couple hours.

Soldato
The first time I watched it, I was not very impressed. But found it to be a grower, the second time I watched it I really liked it. I still think it's a very good super hero film.

I did record it off the telly a year or so ago as I planned to give it another shot, but just haven't had the enthusiasm to actually watch it so it's just sitting on my PVR gathering virtual dust. Maybe in another year or so I'll get around to it and see if it grows on me too ;)

Associate
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) - 9/10

Another great and entertaining experience which is very similar to what has gone before in format, but the formula works very well and I enjoyed the film a lot.

The Asian style and presentation is beautiful, showing off plenty of folklore and style in both modern and traditional settings. The presentation is very stylish, the special effects were superb and the martial arts fight scenes were fast and exciting

The plot is good, focusing on the human and family side of the characters rather than the magical, and sets up a good intrigue for the continuation of the MCU.

The acting is good and although the comic relief and cute character did change things up, they also spoiled it a bit and made the slow middle section drag on even more.

The ending was pretty grand and epic, but I felt it could have been better.

Caporegime
hitman's wife's bodyguard

Garbage. How did this even get released !

1/10

later followed by

Suicide Squad (2021)

Well, it was better than the above film but I don’t get the love ?

4/10

Hitman's wife's bodyguard was absolute rubbish, it's like they made a 10 year old watch the first and then direct the second. What a fall from grace.

The Suicide Squad was just... what the hell? Words struggle to encapsulate what went on in that film. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed it and will likely watch it again, but the whole premise as well as the absolute sheer ridiculousness of it all was just insane. The funny thing is that it was very true to the comics, bad guy and all. I think this is what happens when they let James Gunn off the leash and just said "make a film" and he just went nuts.

As for this evening's viewing, Free Guy. What an absolute belter, this film is a love letter to gamers, and the more you know about gaming culture and the streaming world, the better it gets. I'm not a fan of streamers but even I recognised most of the cameos, 9/10.

Soldato
The Tomorrow War

5/10

Not terrible, reasonable cast. A complete lack of tension though, as the usual modern approach to sci-fi nasties has the aliens as monstrous, unstoppable death machines....that flip flop between being invulnerable to sustained automatic fire one second, to being killed in one handgun shot the next. Makes all the action scenes very contrived and boring.

Ok film to watch while you're doing something else though.

A Quiet Place pt 2

7.5/10

Much better than the first film imo. Paced well, great cast. Good set pieces. Still suffers a little from the aliens being just too over the top massive lethal killing machines, but has mechanisms to make them vulnerable that makes sense to the story.

It's great to have films that can set a scene without a score....refreshing after all the formulaic MCU stuff of recent years.

I'd be very happy to see this series continue (and keep Cilian Murphy)

Back
Top Bottom