• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5800x turning off randomly either when idle or gaming

Caporegime
I keep seeing these posts complaining about AMD CPU`s. Im kinda glad i never switched to be honest

Intel's CPU's are also unlocked and you get the same problems with them if you mess about and don't get it right, i just quoted a post where the complainant has push the undervolt curve too far, if he backs it off a bit he will be fine.

Its all part of the learning experience for people, its not helpful for people who (with respect) don't know what they are talking about to go in to these threads saying its a problem with the CPU, it isn't.

Take 100 Mv off your CPU Volts, watch what happens.

Associate
OP
What cooler are you using and what are temps? Both CPU and ambient

steady 41-42C at idle. I have AIDA64 running a http server, which my raspberry pi has an LCD attached, showing my sensor info. I can see the CPU is barely touched in most things and I'm not in high temps while gaming.
Got a corsair AIO, 360 radiator and a load of fans. So temps is not the problem. I always touch the side of the case when it crashes and its just luke warm, rather than hot at all.
Those types of crashes can also be caused by bad ram, worth running an overnight memtest 86 to eliminate that possibility, but those random crashes especially at idle could very well be bad ram, I had a simiar experience with ram being the culprit, system was totally stable with new ram.

I'll give that a go, if this crashes again now I'm +20 on the curve. Been stable for a few hours so far.

Did you do a fresh install of windows when you swapped that lot?
Yes sir.

Intel's CPU's are also unlocked and you get the same problems with them if you mess about and don't get it right, i just quoted a post where the complainant has push the undervolt curve too far, if he backs it off a bit he will be fine.

Its all part of the learning experience for people, its not helpful for people who (with respect) don't know what they are talking about to go in to these threads saying its a problem with the CPU, it isn't.

Take 100 Mv off your CPU Volts, watch what happens.

I think the only issue I have with this setup, is that it's all set to defaults... and it's always happened on this chip/board.
My intel setup was totally stable at stock speeds and only ever saw crashes when I pushed it too far.

I think if I can't get this resolved within the next week or so, i'm probably just gonna pack it up and switch it out for an intel set again, since that's where my confidence lays.

Caporegime
I think the only issue I have with this setup, is that it's all set to defaults... and it's always happened on this chip/board.
My intel setup was totally stable at stock speeds and only ever saw crashes when I pushed it too far.

I think if I can't get this resolved within the next week or so, i'm probably just gonna pack it up and switch it out for an intel set again, since that's where my confidence lays.

And i wouldn't blame you for that as it all should just work out of the box, if you're not doing anything to it you shouldn't have any problems. what you quoted was not aimed at you :)

Associate
OP
No worries!

Thanks though, my idling issue has been fixed! (+10 on curve optimizer now) woohooo
What is left though and I initially thought it was all part of the same issue, but it's not.

Idling issue - fixed
Gaming - random hard-locks remain.

Playing valorant night before last - locked up 3 times within 4 hours.
Playing valorant last night - locked up once and seemed to stop as soon as I limited fps to 120.
I'll see if the limits stop the hard-locking... and if it does, i'll start some gpu testing avenues.

Thanks chaps, very useful so far!

Associate
Those types of crashes can also be caused by bad ram, worth running an overnight memtest 86 to eliminate that possibility, but those random crashes especially at idle could very well be bad ram, I had a simiar experience with ram being the culprit, system was totally stable with new ram.

I'd second this as I had trouble with RAM too.

I tried some Patriot viper 3600 C18 stuff that would crash in a similar way or lock up. Tried a friends corsair 3600 but could not run it at C18 unless it was ran around 3200.

Finally bought some Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 and its been rock solid for months. I had built a 3900x system for a friend a year or two back and also had stability issues with corsair ram. Finicky memory controller I guess.

Run the ram at default with no docp/xmp and see if it stops crashing. Memtest86 it at docp/xmp if you get no crashes.

Soldato
My eventlog:

1.. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. (09:40:50am this morning)

2. The previous system shutdown at 09:20:11 on ‎25/‎09/‎2021 was unexpected.
Not sure why #2 says it was shutdown at 9:20:11, when it was actually 09:40 and yes my w32 time is correct.

i did check this, both system and app log, but nothing but reactive messages after, nothing before to indicate.
Says to me it hard locks before any logs are written.

Thoughts?

You have either unstable RAM or unstable CPU, welcome to Ryzen 5000 - land of the random crashes, random reboots and dead USB ports.

I blame x570 motherboards, these boards were built for Ryzen 3000 and shoehorning BIOS support into them for Ryzen 5000 has not being kind to them. Jaytwocents is right, stick with the CPU generation your board was designed for.

Last edited:
Soldato
cheers! I've built a memtest usb for tonights testing. I'll let you know how it goes :)
What PSU are you using? If an older model PSU you will need to change a setting in the motherboards bios called " power supply idle control" set it to typical. That will stop the system locking up when it goes into low power mode, old psus can't deal with the low power use at idle states of ryzen.

Power supply idle control is a motherboard setting for older (or cheaper) power supplies. A power supply requires a positive power draw to continue to feed power to the motherboard, if it detects a low power draw it assumes that the motherboard is in sleep mode, so it turns off until there's noticeable power draw. The problem is that older power supplies were designed where a minimum draw setting may be 5w, whereas a newer motherboard and CPU may only draw 1w at idle. So Idle control is used when your computer actually powers off instead of going to sleep on idle - it sets the threshold of low power draw at idle to like 7.5w so it won't trigger the PSU to turn off.

Associate
OP
What PSU are you using? If an older model PSU you will need to change a setting in the motherboards bios called " power supply idle control" set it to typical. That will stop the system locking up when it goes into low power mode, old psus can't deal with the low power use at idle states of ryzen.

Power supply idle control is a motherboard setting for older (or cheaper) power supplies. A power supply requires a positive power draw to continue to feed power to the motherboard, if it detects a low power draw it assumes that the motherboard is in sleep mode, so it turns off until there's noticeable power draw. The problem is that older power supplies were designed where a minimum draw setting may be 5w, whereas a newer motherboard and CPU may only draw 1w at idle. So Idle control is used when your computer actually powers off instead of going to sleep on idle - it sets the threshold of low power draw at idle to like 7.5w so it won't trigger the PSU to turn off.

I've set this to typical now. Hopefully that'll stabilize it a little more too. Thanks!

Associate
No worries!

Thanks though, my idling issue has been fixed! (+10 on curve optimizer now) woohooo
What is left though and I initially thought it was all part of the same issue, but it's not.

Idling issue - fixed
Gaming - random hard-locks remain.

Playing valorant night before last - locked up 3 times within 4 hours.
Playing valorant last night - locked up once and seemed to stop as soon as I limited fps to 120.
I'll see if the limits stop the hard-locking... and if it does, i'll start some gpu testing avenues.

Thanks chaps, very useful so far!

If you run offsets and crash, stop and run default as it may be your cpu simply dont have enough juice when gaming then with offset enabled.
stop using curve optimizer and run default first.
if that fixes it, well then you know its a user error not a cpu error.

Associate
OP
If you have to use optimizer to ADD voltage to get it stable at stock then that's hot garbage, time to RMA

What do I RMA though? CPU or board?
I don't mind having the optimizer curve set to +10, if that's what keeps me stable in fairness.
I guess it would mean me being without a gaming machine for awhile, for something I can fix with a tweak.
The worst issues are ones that we can mostly fix, because until it's actually preventing me from doing something long-term, it won't really get RMA'd.

So far though, no idle crashes since I'm on +10. No harm in running that to fix the idle issue, is there?

Back
Top Bottom