• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5800x turning off randomly either when idle or gaming

Associate
Running my 5950x at -5 all core with PBO2 is absolutey fine, no issues but when i try -5 on my best 2 core and -5 on my second best and then the rest -10 i would boot back into windows and have my main monitor resolution around 1080-768p and there would be no way to change it (no options). Soon as i would go back to bios and revert back to all core -5 runs fine again.

**Moved to appropriate thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried using the XMP profile setting for the RAM? Try that first if you haven't, this is a different issue, but in this MSI X570S problem, no XMP profile was set for his old RAM in the BIOS. He set the XMP profile and it worked straight away >> https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-problem-installing-windows-via-usb.18938398/

Also, which BIOS are you running at the moment? It looks like there has been 14 BIOS updates since the inital release of the motherboard. The latest official is 7C37vAE, dated 1 July 2021, there's also a 7C37vAF3(Beta version), dated 27 Sept 2021.

Link to BIOS updates >> https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PLUS#down-bios

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have you tried using the XMP profile setting for the RAM? Try that first if you haven't, this is a different issue, but in this MSI X570S problem, no XMP profile was set for his old RAM in the BIOS. He set the XMP profile and it worked straight away >> https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-problem-installing-windows-via-usb.18938398/

Also, which BIOS are you running at the moment? It looks like there has been 14 BIOS updates since the inital release of the motherboard. The latest official is 7C37vAE, dated 1 July 2021, there's also a 7C37vAF3(Beta version), dated 27 Sept 2021.

Link to BIOS updates >> https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PLUS#down-bios

Wonderful, I've just downloaded and installed the latest.
I did a bios update a few months ago when I had the board first. I had the previous version installed, which was released in Jan I think. Lets hope this new one helps!
I think I'll give my machine a once over with something like a few rounds of 3dmark, to see how it copes under stress.

In fact, I may run prime95 for awhile, just to stress mem/cpu first. Then onto graphics with 3dmark, maybe I can narrow it down to a component that way.

Edit: I've got XMP set and I've tried both 3600 and 3200
RAM = Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB 3600MHz

Associate
OP
One thing worth mentioning, which is vital I think.
When my pc crashes during gaming - all lights go off and I can't turn it on by the power button on the case until I unplug the power cable and place it back in again.
Could be a PSU issue perhaps?
I'm thinking the board would still turn the PC back on from power button, if it was anything else?

Soldato
When my pc crashes during gaming - all lights go off and I can't turn it on by the power button on the case until I unplug the power cable and place it back in again.
I'm thinking the board would still turn the PC back on from power button, if it was anything else?

Unlikely, my PC did the same when the RAM was overclocked or when I use curve optimizer on the CPU - exact same symptoms, nothing wrong with my psu

Soldato
I just don't want to have the wait, ya know. Could be weeks, can't be having no pc for that long! :)
How old is all the parts? I know it's different, we built a PC for my cousin nearly 2-weeks ago, with an MSI PSU, ASRock mobo, Intel CPU, a massive spark/bolt shot through what appeared to be the case, straight out the back of the PSU, was kinda scarey. Anyway, we decided to RMA the PSU with that rainforest place, and got a Corsair PSU replacement instead, installed and is running fine. Depending on how old the parts are you could just do a straight return and order another part, depends if you can be certain like I was of which part needed replacing, the rainforest don't faff about like most computer hardware retailers.

Soldato
I'm sure I read somewhere that older PSUs can have problems with the newer Ryzens. How about disabling some of the power saving modes in BIOS?
Very well could be the CPU, but you don't want to RMA it and then find out it tests out OK.

Associate
OP
I've only adjusted the PSU setting mentioned above, from auto to typical. Which I believe older PSUs prefer.
I've ordered a new PSU though, we'll see if that makes a difference. I can always chuck the old one on MM, as its perfectly fine for Intel builds.

I've had new board/ram/cpu since May. Not from here, or Amazon.

Caporegime

To me that sounds like a PSU OCP (Overcurrent Protection), what you are describing is exactly what it would do when OCP is triggered, the PSU shuts down completely which is why there is no power for standby, the only way to reset it is to unplug it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've only adjusted the PSU setting mentioned above, from auto to typical. Which I believe older PSUs prefer.
I've ordered a new PSU though, we'll see if that makes a difference. I can always chuck the old one on MM, as its perfectly fine for Intel builds.

I've had new board/ram/cpu since May. Not from here, or Amazon.

When you get your new PSU reset the CPU back to default, i have a strong suspicion its your GPU that was drawing too much from the PSU which was making the whole system unstable.

Soldato
When you get your new PSU reset the CPU back to default, i have a strong suspicion its your GPU that was drawing too much from the PSU which was making the whole system unstable.

Why would his pc crash from OCP when the system is at idle, makes no sense

Soldato
No worries!

Thanks though, my idling issue has been fixed! (+10 on curve optimizer now) woohooo
What is left though and I initially thought it was all part of the same issue, but it's not.

Idling issue - fixed
Gaming - random hard-locks remain.

Playing valorant night before last - locked up 3 times within 4 hours.
Playing valorant last night - locked up once and seemed to stop as soon as I limited fps to 120.
I'll see if the limits stop the hard-locking... and if it does, i'll start some gpu testing avenues.

Thanks chaps, very useful so far!
I had similar problems with a faulty Intel X99 motherboard, although lights didn't go out so possibly PSU.

You should be using separate power cables for each socket on your 3080.

Back
Top Bottom