****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Soldato
OP
Sorry I'm sure it's been discussed but what's gaming ping like?
I'm getting 14ms ping on normal speed tests, warzone etc all perfectly fine with no issues.

I'm still connected to the mast 2.4km away with direct line of sight, and getting a consistent 150-200mbps down and 7-10mbps up. There's planned work on my new mast location starting tomorrow, fingers crossed it's for the monopole to be craned in!! Looking forward to the speed increase with a mast 300m away :D

Associate
I'm getting 14ms ping on normal speed tests, warzone etc all perfectly fine with no issues.

I'm still connected to the mast 2.4km away with direct line of sight, and getting a consistent 150-200mbps down and 7-10mbps up. There's planned work on my new mast location starting tomorrow, fingers crossed it's for the monopole to be craned in!! Looking forward to the speed increase with a mast 300m away :D

That's pretty impressive.... might test it if we ever get 5g in town

Soldato
OP
That's pretty impressive.... might test it if we ever get 5g in town
5G is highly dependent on anything blocking the path to the mast, I literally have some light foliage, and maybe a single house roof between the current router location and the mast. Moving the router 10ft upstairs I've seen up to 300/30... 2.4km is way further than a lot of people say you should get a 5g signal, and I'm outside any coverage checkers...

I should have almost perfect line of sight to the new mast too, hoping for at least 350mbps when that goes live.

Associate
5G is highly dependent on anything blocking the path to the mast, I literally have some light foliage, and maybe a single house roof between the current router location and the mast. Moving the router 10ft upstairs I've seen up to 300/30... 2.4km is way further than a lot of people say you should get a 5g signal, and I'm outside any coverage checkers...

I should have almost perfect line of sight to the new mast too, hoping for at least 350mbps when that goes live.

The distance really depends on what frequencies the base station is using and also the transceiver hardware in your communication device.

Soldato
300/30 is best case I have found. I am running a CPE2 on Vodafone. Based on my experience I would order a bunch of PAYG Sims from the usual suspects with a cheap 5G phone and do a speed test in your own home first before diving in.

I would say though that even a Very Good 4G+LTE Signal blows away many peoples rural broadband connections and I would not rule out mobile broadband just on the basis that 5G is not available.

Soldato
Jumped on a deal posted on Hot deals yesterday.

5G unlimited with Three on 24 month contract @ £10 per month.

Going to see what speeds are like and will consider ditching ADSL.

If not will stick it as a second SIM in my phon and use it for data.

Man of Honour
I would say though that even a Very Good 4G+LTE Signal blows away many peoples rural broadband connections and I would not rule out mobile broadband just on the basis that 5G is not available.

For raw speed sure - but at peak times even if the speeds hold up it can be slower loading a page with multiple elements and the latency doesn't compare to a fixed line if you do anything latency sensitive. I use a mixture of both as stuff like streaming video or downloading game updates, etc. seems to work fine even at peak times on the 4G.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
For raw speed sure - but at peak times even if the speeds hold up it can be slower loading a page with multiple elements and the latency doesn't compare to a fixed line if you do anything latency sensitive. I use a mixture of both as stuff like streaming video or downloading game updates, etc. seems to work fine even at peak times on the 4G.

Would have to agree. Ditched the landline for 4G as it worked out cheaper not paying line rental and my max download speeds on the twisted copper was only 5Mb anyway. Its not great by any means as @Rroff mentions but Im hoping over time speeds improve or fibre lands that has speeds they promise (hearing that although they say 100Mb down in reality it can be as low as 60 from neighbours/friends that do have it near me).

My other dilemma is punting for a second data SIM and going the load balance route over two connections. This would probably yield better average speeds but would have to outlay some cost on more hardware and monthly sim fees.

Associate

A strange one could be some sort bandwidth management / caching system in place a bit like the old days on copper.

Soldato
Jumped on a deal posted on Hot deals yesterday.

5G unlimited with Three on 24 month contract @ £10 per month.

Going to see what speeds are like and will consider ditching ADSL.

If not will stick it as a second SIM in my phon and use it for data.

I got two Sims back in Feb at ~£3.92 per month after the cash back, for the Three unlimited, both have been great. Still hitting 800Mbps on my CPE Pro, and the one in my handset had not had any issues either.

Soldato
I got two Sims back in Feb at ~£3.92 per month after the cash back, for the Three unlimited, both have been great. Still hitting 800Mbps on my CPE Pro, and the one in my handset had not had any issues either.

That's an amazing deal! Hadn't realised you could get cashback on top!

I'm happy to just be paying £10 a month for unlimited.

Stuck the SIM in my Oppo as it's dual SIM and getting between 50-70/35 which is much better than talktalks 30/2 currently!

Soldato
That's an amazing deal! Hadn't realised you could get cashback on top!

I'm happy to just be paying £10 a month for unlimited.

Stuck the SIM in my Oppo as it's dual SIM and getting between 50-70/35 which is much better than talktalks 30/2 currently!

Yeah when it comes to an end I'll need to see if I can get something anywhere near as close, but I doubt it.

Soldato
OP
So my new 5G mast has been installed (Wednesday, mid install):
IMG-20210929-164502.jpg

The planned work ended on the 30th and yesterday, my cell ID on the router changed from my normal mast 2.4km away to a new ID which doesn't appear on cellmapper but is tied to the current (new) mast site.

My upload speed has gone up a little (15-20mbps vs 10mbps), ping has increased by 10ms to around 24ms, and my 5G speed has stayed the same.
12123750813.png

Old mast speed:
12102973827.png

Moving the router to a windowsill with direct view of the mast (which now has the 5G antennas installed at the top) I get zero signal.

So, it seems that the 4G on the new mast has been turned on, but not the 5G - I'm connecting to the new mast 300m away for 4G but still connected to my normal mast 2.4km away for 5G.
I'd imagine when the new mast does have 5G turned on I'll get sudden jump in speed even though the router is the 'wrong' wide of the house, due to being so close to the mast.

Associate
So my new 5G mast has been installed (Wednesday, mid install):
IMG-20210929-164502.jpg

The planned work ended on the 30th and yesterday, my cell ID on the router changed from my normal mast 2.4km away to a new ID which doesn't appear on cellmapper but is tied to the current (new) mast site.

My upload speed has gone up a little (15-20mbps vs 10mbps), ping has increased by 10ms to around 24ms, and my 5G speed has stayed the same.
12123750813.png

Old mast speed:
12102973827.png

Moving the router to a windowsill with direct view of the mast (which now has the 5G antennas installed at the top) I get zero signal.

So, it seems that the 4G on the new mast has been turned on, but not the 5G - I'm connecting to the new mast 300m away for 4G but still connected to my normal mast 2.4km away for 5G.
I'd imagine when the new mast does have 5G turned on I'll get sudden jump in speed even though the router is the 'wrong' wide of the house, due to being so close to the mast.

Looking good TallPaul_S wish i could get one that close to my house.

Soldato
What is the "best" setup at the moment? Buying a 4G/5G router and then purchasing a SIM card separately?

Taking the Vodafone Gigacube on a 30 day contract at ~£325 is one of the cheapest ways to get a decent Huawei 5G router/modem right now, then put what ever SIM suits you in it. Sometimes taking a 12/24 month contract might be similar if you don't hunt for a good SIM only deal.

Associate
Taking the Vodafone Gigacube on a 30 day contract at ~£325 is one of the cheapest ways to get a decent Huawei 5G router/modem right now, then put what ever SIM suits you in it. Sometimes taking a 12/24 month contract might be similar if you don't hunt for a good SIM only deal.

Thats the best option at the moment if you are after the Huawei5G

Associate
Hello everyone!
I am moving to Edinburgh in a couple of weeks for a new job and it turns out our new flat doesn't have access to FTTC/FTTP only ADSL. 3 aren't offering mobile broadband there and Vodafone 5G network doesn't cover the area (4G GigaCube isn't unlimited annoyingly so that won't work for us). EE is the only option we have it looks like. Has anyone here used them for mobile broadband before? They are advertising a new 5GEE router that replaces the Huawei 5G CPE Pro (I have absolutely no faith in it being better in any way, probably just cheaper for EE) but there is limited information about it. I don't know a lot about networking so I need some help in understanding if I will be able to use a mesh system with it? It doesn't support modem only mode so I know double Nat will be an issue but I was hoping to connect my PS5 to the ethernet port on the 5GEE router, disabling WiFi on it and relying on the mesh for wireless connections. Does that sound like it would work and does anyone have any advice? TIA :D

Back
Top Bottom