The Cryptolambo had gone to the moon... Time for Cryptolambo 2!!!

Soldato
On my ATEX course, the reason phones can cause an explosion is if they are dropped, the battery can come out and cause a spark when disconnecting. The use of them doesn't cause an issue.
An ATEX approved phone has the battery screwed in, so it cannot come out.
This was a while ago I did this course, now most phone batteries don't come out anyway!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Not though is he? It's a picture, could have been taken with a digital camera not a mobile phone & even so, ever heard of flight mode?
:cry: Using flight mode would not suddenly make a mobile device (camera/phone/iPad) ATEX-rated. Those devices are intrinsically tested and approved for use in explosive atmospheres. Trust me, you'll know if you're using such a device (link).

Without getting too much off topic, it's not just an arbitrary rule designed to annoy consumers but a very strictly controlled set of legislation and the garage is expected to enforce this strictly. I just don't understand the need to take a photo of a car in a petrol station and risk your/other safety.

Source: Safety consultant with 10+ years experience managing large plants with explosive atmospheres.

On my ATEX course, the reason phones can cause an explosion is if they are dropped, the battery can come out and cause a spark when disconnecting. The use of them doesn't cause an issue.
An ATEX approved phone has the battery screwed in, so it cannot come out.
This was a while ago I did this course, now most phone batteries don't come out anyway!

Lithium Ion cells can fail, bloat and cause fires without warning. It's why some hospitals/organisations prohibit vaping... because the battery cells can fail and do fail (albeit rarely).

To be fair working on a site that is higher rated than ATEX 2 in many places the older mobile phones were an issue
The issue is that if you dropped them the batteries could come loose and cause a spark whilst doing so

Modern phones are far more robust.

We had been arguing about this on site for some years so actually had them tested and they failed to produce a spark when dropped.

Anything that has batteries that "clip in" has the same risk.

Soldato
On the subject of phones in stations, you can pay at pump and I'm sure you can use google/apple pay. Not sure why you think a picture on a phone is any different to a phone being in a pocket in terms of dangerousness(that may not be a word). I always thought it was to stop people getting distracted while filling up.

Soldato
:cry: Using flight mode would not suddenly make a mobile device (camera/phone/iPad) ATEX-rated. Those devices are intrinsically tested and approved for use in explosive atmospheres. Trust me, you'll know if you're using such a device (link).

Without getting too much off topic, it's not just an arbitrary rule designed to annoy consumers but a very strictly controlled set of legislation and the garage is expected to enforce this strictly. I just don't understand the need to take a photo of a car in a petrol station and risk your/other safety.

Source: Safety consultant with 10+ years experience managing large plants with explosive atmospheres.

Lithium Ion cells can fail, bloat and cause fires without warning. It's why some hospitals/organisations prohibit vaping... because the battery cells can fail and do fail (albeit rarely).

Comsider me educated on that it is not the phone signal to why, as I originally thought.

Despite this. I still believe your post was uncalled for(no pun intended).

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

There are no cases of mobile phones causing explosions in petrol stations, so seems pretty safe to me.
That is a frankly terrible attitude. After all, everything is unexpected until it happens... in fact, they said the same about many industrial accidents before they happened.

The risk exists, whether you choose to accept it exists is up to you.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
That is a frankly terrible attitude. After all, everything is unexpected until it happens... in fact, they said the same about many industrial accidents before they happened.

Considering next to me was someone having a fag asking about the car, pretty sure me taking a photo wasn't going to blow anyone up :cry:

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP

Also, as a point of interest how far do you think "zone 2 gonna explode everyone" extends? To the public footpath? To the road? Just under the covered part of the forecourt.

Also, if you open the full sized pic up, youll also see the QR codes on the pumps themselves for people to scan to pay using the esso app. Whats the logic in that?

Soldato

But with that attitude, why not ban everything just in case?

With modern phones, the risk just isn't there.

That said, I can see a case for a ban based on distraction.

Man of Honour
Also, if you open the full sized pic up, youll also see the QR codes on the pumps themselves for people to scan to pay using the esso app. Whats the logic in that?
You're supposed to only use the app while in your car, although it's safe to say that's very loosely enforced if it's getting them paid.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Also, as a point of interest how far do you think "zone 2 gonna explode everyone" extends? To the public footpath? To the road? Just under the covered part of the forecourt.

The legislation is very descript and will extend in a radius around the pump. It's usually several meters around, above and on the floor (where vapour can rest). Zone 0 being the closest most hazardous, zone 2 being an area where you could reasonably expect vapours for a short time.

Having QR codes on a pump isn't a breach of the legislation any more than having a car that can do 200mph when the max speed limit is 70mph. If someone chooses to use a phone to scan it or speed then that's more the product of poor placement on the behalf of the garage.

But with that attitude, why not ban everything just in case?

With modern phones, the risk just isn't there.

That said, I can see a case for a ban based on distraction.

Disagree. The risk is there which is why they're prohibited and tightly controlled.

Risk is a product of likelihood vs severity... the likelihood of explosion is low but the severity is high. Do you want to take that risk "because it's not happened before" or implement reasonable controls? The law will side with the latter.

I can only give you my experience and opinion against the facts. As I said ^, if you believe then the risk isn't there then carry on.

Soldato
Disagree. The risk is there which is why they're prohibited and tightly controlled.
Fair enough. I don't really see enough evidence to suggest it's any kind of risk, really - but either way, there's really no need to use your mobile at a petrol station, anyway (apart from paying).

mobiles do seem to be a hazard at petrol stations?

https://www.newsflare.com/video/319...r-triggers-fire-at-petrol-pump-in-south-india

Although it mainly seems to be caused by static rather than the phone itself.

Static is interesting
Saw something years ago that the reason UK pumps did not have a hands free option like US ones was that they proved that the risk ramped up a lot as people would get back into the car and have a far higher chance of setting off a grounding shock when doing so
I guess when nylon was more of a thing the risks were far higher ;)

OcUK Staff
Nice car for sure :D

Not how I'd be spending that sort of money, I'd be too scared of running costs and depreciation, but then I'm a boring old git :p

Think he is making money at moment as it’s appreciating.

Also Lamborghini have announced 2024 will be the end of NA for them so probably going up in value more so now.

Back
Top Bottom