BMW and M Power Owners

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
The way they have generally been with mods up to this point has always been to reject claims where the mod has affected a part which you then wish to claim on. The wording of the terms and conditions doesn’t enshrine that though - it just says the car must be entirely unmodified. Are they likely to change their approach? You’re potentially gambling with an enormous bill (especially on an M car these days) if you do modify your car.

Soldato
The way they have generally been with mods up to this point has always been to reject claims where the mod has affected a part which you then wish to claim on. The wording of the terms and conditions doesn’t enshrine that though - it just says the car must be entirely unmodified. Are they likely to change their approach? You’re potentially gambling with an enormous bill (especially on an M car these days) if you do modify your car.
That seems fair. My e92 m3 I coded to fold the mirrors in when locked and to wash the headlights every 7th pull (I know I live dangerously:p). When it went in for a new engine under warranty they didn't say anything, although my experience of the dealership is that they didn't have a clue what they were doing.

Soldato
i've never had an issue with them doing minor warranty work with bits of coding, e92 went in for new wheel speed sensor last week and that's had loads of bits of coding done (mirrors, digital speedo etc) and they didn't mention it.

I imagine if they're faced with a £5k bill for something they may look for opportunities to not pay out, though.

Soldato
couple weeks after the event, but some may find it interesting nonetheless:

I had BMW's M-performance power and sound kit fitted by my local dealer. A remap and valved cat-back exhaust, all covered by BMW warranty, and also got the matching diffuser as the exhaust protrudes a tiny bit more and it looks like a wheelbarrow without it :D. Plus as mineral grey almost exactly matches the m-sport diffuser colour, it kinda looked like an SE before from behind :D

Takes car from 325bhp to over 360, plus a shed load more torque (and a rather incredible noise with the valves open!)

before:

XTmPX6L.jpg

after:

VsVHWqb.jpg

TlpcBVn.jpeg

59mwlgY.jpeg

With the valves open it is essentially a straight through exhaust as you can see from the underworkings :D. Very glad of the valves for driving back into my village / onto my driveway etc, as whilst it does sound fantastic it is rather loud with them open and would be unlivable if they were always open.

It really has changed the way the engine delivers its power, way more than the headline figure increase. It's far more urgent from ~2k rpm now, yet still wants to rev to the redline. The B58 really is a fantastic engine.

Caporegime
That’s a nice exhaust.
i've never had an issue with them doing minor warranty work with bits of coding, e92 went in for new wheel speed sensor last week and that's had loads of bits of coding done (mirrors, digital speedo etc) and they didn't mention it.

I imagine if they're faced with a £5k bill for something they may look for opportunities to not pay out, though.
Like a new M3 engine you mean. Although they would be hard pushed to link mirrors folding to a blown engine

Man of Honour
With the valves open it is essentially a straight through exhaust as you can see from the underworkings :D. Very glad of the valves for driving back into my village / onto my driveway etc, as whilst it does sound fantastic it is rather loud with them open and would be unlivable if they were always open.

It really has changed the way the engine delivers its power, way more than the headline figure increase. It's far more urgent from ~2k rpm now, yet still wants to rev to the redline. The B58 really is a fantastic engine.
It's excellent isn't it? :)
I drive mine in sports mode most of the time now lol....mpg down, but smiles up :cry:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
That’s a nice exhaust.
Like a new M3 engine you mean. Although they would be hard pushed to link mirrors folding to a blown engine

They don't need to link it. The terms and conditions just say you can't modify the car. Unlike the new car warranty which is protected by EU-wide laws, they absolutely could invalidate the policy you chose to take out based on you modifying the car to fold the mirrors. As I said though, they don't currently behave like that but they could - it is there in black and white in the terms you agreed to.

Soldato
Could a current owner please do me a favour.

I have a 2017 G30 with the Connected Drive package - under Map Update on My Vehicle on the website it says there is a new version available (currently showing as EUROPE EVO 2021-3). The problem is I believe I have installed that map version via USB already and I am wondering if that bit of the website updates or just displays the message regardless.

Plays into a bigger question about whether my map updates are actually hold in the car. The software version is showing as 2021-3 but there are loads of roads still missing on my estate that I would have hoped to be included by now.

Soldato

it's actually annoying that BMW set the cold start idle so high - I have a friend with a 440i mppsk with bootmod 3 which allows you to set idle to a 900rpm slow idle, and it's SO much quieter.

Soldato
it does drop to <1000 once the engine warms though...doesn't take long on the B58
but yes...i leave for work ar 0630, and i'm the neighbourhood ******* :cry:

it takes a good minute or two before it goes into "normal" idle...it's about 20 seconds at very high idle, then another minute at middling. No need for it, the car is otherwise absolutely civilised in comfort mode. It does this even if the engine is already warm too, ie turn engine off and immediately back on again and it'll do the same 20 second -> 1 minute thing again.

Back
Top Bottom