Lost my love of gaming :(

Soldato
I've been a keen gamer ever since I got my NES, sunk soooo many hours/days/months of my life into gaming. Now, I just can't be bothered.

It annoys me that I've lost my interest, I've got a great catalogue of games available to play across many formats, I just don't have the desire to actually play any of them. I know it sounds stupid, but gaming has always been my release, my escape.

Anyone else in the same boat? Hopefully with a bit of time, I'll get back into it.

Soldato
I kind of am in the same boat. Im 41 and have gamed since I was a kid. I think taking a few months off would help reignite the interest but I haven't quite managed to step away from it fully yet and fill my time with something else. Games like Forza 5 and Halo Infinite will certainly drag me back in over the next few months.

Associate
Take a break, i always find that helps with this kinda thing.

Alternatively bog yourself down with life responsibilities and you'll soon be keen to get lost in some game.

None of these new titles draw me in, i loved Doom 2016 but can't even bring myself to play the new one at £15! It's really hard to get that "yeah, awesome" feeling when you're older, especially if you've exhausted nostalgia routes.

I was lucky to discover Stalker only a few years ago. I've been playing Anomaly a lot (by my own standards). What an atmosphere!

Soldato
OP
Take a break, i always find that helps with this kinda thing.

Alternatively bog yourself down with life responsibilities and you'll soon be keen to get lost in some game.

None of these new titles draw me in, i loved Doom 2016 but can't even bring myself to play the new one at £15! It's really hard to get that "yeah, awesome" feeling when you're older, especially if you've exhausted nostalgia routes.

I was lucky to discover Stalker only a few years ago. I've been playing Anomaly a lot (by my own standards). What an atmosphere!

Plenty of life responsibility already bogging me down, don't need any more :p

Hopefully a break will help reignite gaming

Soldato
I would say maybe try out some VR titles on Oculus Quest or Playstation VR. Having been a gamer for over three decades I find most modern games are just remakes of genres I've already played to death and don't offer anything I haven't seen before.

With VR I've found that it's something new and exciting that I haven't experienced before and it literally adds an entirety new dimensions and many new concepts to gaming.

Games like Forza 5 and Halo Infinite will certainly drag me back in over the next few months.

Those, along with Metroid Dread, are the titles I'm looking forward to playing over the next couple of months.

I'm a bit worried I might end up feeling like Forza Horizon 5 is just 4 with a mexican map pack and that Halo Infinite is just the same old game with a fresh lick of paint. Hopefully they manage to bring something new to those franchises though!

Last edited:
Associate
I can empathise .... with age I've become way more selective with the games that I enjoy. I guess it's a case of seen it all before, so it does take something more special to rekindle that passion or excitement. And let's face it, most games these days are uninspired and derivative. As others have said try taking a break from it, or engage in some other hobby/pastime for a while. If you can manage that then your zest for gaming might reignite.

Soldato
I had lost my mojo a few years back and found it again with indie games. Death's Door, Hyper Light Drifter, Tails of Iron, Bastion, Hollow Knight, Ori, Hades .. it goes on and on. I grew up during NES days too and these games are how I imagined games would be in the future back then (if that makes any sense!). Pickup and play, gameplay heavy, challenging. This was after a long break so perhaps that was key too - but either way I've genuinely not enjoyed gaming as much as this since the SNES/N64 days. Having a few mates with Gamepass for co-op fun helps a bunch too.

Man of Honour
I had lost my mojo a few years back and found it again with indie games. Death's Door, Hyper Light Drifter, Tails of Iron, Bastion, Hollow Knight, Ori, Hades .. it goes on and on. I grew up during NES days too and these games are how I imagined games would be in the future back then (if that makes any sense!). Pickup and play, gameplay heavy, challenging. This was after a long break so perhaps that was key too - but either way I've genuinely not enjoyed gaming as much as this since the SNES/N64 days. Having a few mates with Gamepass for co-op fun helps a bunch too.

I came here to post exactly this. Social gaming and avoiding “AAA” games get you the best experiences.

Soldato
I have a slightly different issue. I've lost a bit of live for single player games such as RTS or Souls type games. I see myself playing them during the day when I'm at work but when I get home and have gone through the evening routine of getting the kids into bed I just play Warzone or Destiny 2.

I just find that the quick hit of those games with mates are enjoyable. Frustrating at times but enjoyable. Im not saying that the single player games are not, they are just slow burners.

Soldato
Gaming burnout hit me around 40, along with the nagging feeling that society says I'm too old for games.

44 now and I have a gaming PC along with Series X and play daily again. Been addicted to Warzone for months.

I realised life's too short to worry about all that and in 20 years I may not have the reaction times to be able to play.

Soldato
I lost mine about 3 years ago, it's just not the same now, I think after so many years gaming, I feel like I am just playing the same games, just with better graphics

Soldato
Taking a break will help.

I find the number of possible games to play can be a bit overwhelming, same thing with the streaming TV services. Picking something and playing it through to completion helps.

Soldato
I've been a keen gamer ever since I got my NES, sunk soooo many hours/days/months of my life into gaming. Now, I just can't be bothered.

It annoys me that I've lost my interest, I've got a great catalogue of games available to play across many formats, I just don't have the desire to actually play any of them. I know it sounds stupid, but gaming has always been my release, my escape.

Anyone else in the same boat? Hopefully with a bit of time, I'll get back into it.
I'm the same at the moment.
Like having the tech more than actually gaming, partly because of being busy at the moment.

Soldato
Yeah, comes round every so often and not just limited to gaming, feel it with movies etc too. When you're in your 40s it's quite common to come across content that's unoriginal and not entertaining especially with all the guff that's pumped out these days.

As folk have said take a break, play a different genre or revisit something you've enjoyed before. Recently for me it was Luigi's Mansion 3, couldn't put it down, brilliant game and good chance from all the mainstream titles. Quite fancy the new Metroid too but don't have a Switch anymore :( .

Oh and HL Alyx, such a good experience.

Soldato
Yeah, doesn't help that most new triple AAA games are overhyped or dumbed down dog****.

INB4, just play indie titles, bro. Been there, tried that and spent a silly amount on games that still don't grab me.

Yep Far Cry 6 being the latest, and then when something a little different does come around it turns out a broken disappointing mess (cyberpunk 2077). I think there are some great indie titles though.
I recently played pyschonauts 2, wouldn't class this as an indie title, but it's superb fun and one of them titles that goes under the radar a little.

I think Horizon 5 will hopefully be good, but this year and past year so far for AAA titles has been a huge disappointment.

Soldato
I'm replaying Half Life 2 on my PC at the moment and have really got back into the story line. I've also never played through Episode 1, 2 or Lost Coast. Looking forward to playing those.

Reason I switched to an old PC game is because I'm completely bored of gaming on my Series X.

I also go through phases of watching films instead of gaming.

Playing online with friends helps.

Back
Top Bottom