Energy Suppliers

Caporegime
All the information and advice I've been reading is that since the government stopped with their feed in payments just having solar takes a long time to pay back.

13 years, based on using 60% of the generation in winter, and 36% of the generation in spring/summer months.

My calculations are based off a 5.5p export tariff, the system cost is £4795, the capacity is 4.235kwp (11*385w panels), 5 south facing, 6 west facing.

Payback should be reduced if wholesale prices stay high and I can get on Octopus outgoing agile, I can be on SVR for import as the only incompatible tariff for agile export is their GO one.

I simulated a 4.8kw battery and I still end up drawing from the grid even from a full charge by about 2am in the morning, it wouldn't therefore help first thing, is it would be empty for breakfast cuppa/toaster duties.

I've been looking into this since July and I've sent myself crazy with various calculations and costings.

My yearly cost saving based on 20p/kwh is £265.30

SEG @5.5p should come to about £100

Associate
13 years, based on using 60% of the generation in winter, and 36% of the generation in spring/summer months.

My calculations are based off a 5.5p export tariff, the system cost is £4795, the capacity is 4.235kwp (11*385w panels), 5 south facing, 6 west facing.

Payback should be reduced if wholesale prices stay high and I can get on Octopus outgoing agile, I can be on SVR for import as the only incompatible tariff for agile export is their GO one.

I simulated a 4.8kw battery and I still end up drawing from the grid even from a full charge by about 2am in the morning, it wouldn't therefore help first thing, is it would be empty for breakfast cuppa/toaster duties.

I've been looking into this since July and I've sent myself crazy with various calculations and costings.

My yearly cost saving based on 20p/kwh is £265.30

SEG @5.5p should come to about £100

As you're on the West coast side like I am this might be some insight for you.(Mid Wales)
3.5kw system over the last 7 years we generate on average 3500kw a year, just over 2500 in the summer (March21st-21September)
and just on or under 1000Kw for the winter 6 months.

South to southwest facing with no shading.
I'm 5 miles in from the coast so get better weather than 5 miles behind me in the mountains.

I'd guess you will generate 4000kw yearly if you're close to the cost, a fair bit less if in the hills.

Last edited:
Caporegime
As you're on the West coast side like I am this might be some insight for you.
3.5kw system over the last 7 years we generate on average 3500kw a year, just over 2500 in the summer (March21st-21September)
and just on or under 1000Kw for the winter 6 months.

South to southwest facing with no shading.
I'm 5 miles in from the coast so get better weather than 5 miles behind me in the mountains.

I'd guess you will generate 4000kw yearly if you're close to the cost, a fair bit less if in the hills.
PVGIS estimates 3276kw yearly

Soldato
saw someone post this online :eek:

Screenshot-20211014-054426-Facebook.jpg

Not really surprised tbh. Martin Lewis has been saying flexible is the best tariff strategy for the short to medium term.

Associate
When I had ours installed I queried their calculations as I thought they were on the low side, they said the estimate on the low side or people complain that it's not producing what they promised.

Can't really remember but I think their calculations were 2900 for our 3500Kw setup.(Mid Wales)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Looks like I'm late to the show, only just now received a Pure Planet email informing me they are ceasing to trade.

Our tariff was ending soon anyway but this isn't great.
Given the price cap most if not all suppliers variable rate would have been at or very close to the cap anyway. It’s all much of a muchness at the moment.

Soldato
Another one has gone to the wall, Daligas with 9000 customers, 3rd this week and expecting more to come.

EDF has openly come out and said they arent prepared to take on any more SOLR customers from failed suppliers for now as its a proving a time consuming and a logisitcal challenge to take on so many customers from failed suppliers and they need to complete the migrations before that will take on anymore

Caporegime
Another one has gone to the wall, Daligas with 9000 customers, 3rd this week and expecting more to come.

EDF has openly come out and said they arent prepared to take on any more SOLR customers from failed suppliers for now as its a proving a time consuming and a logisitcal challenge to take on so many customers from failed suppliers and they need to complete the migrations before that will take on anymore

I'm sure if the price of gas was lower than their current tariffs they'd be looking to take on as many as they could. Same with the other providers.

Soldato
I'm sure if the price of gas was lower than their current tariffs they'd be looking to take on as many as they could. Same with the other providers.

Maybe but i dont think you are considering the strain on the business taking on the customers from failed companies. Also EDF have bought gas 14 months in advance so they are fairly shielded from the current prices

Soldato
I’m a former Igloo customer and now on eon next. Not heard anything from eon next since intro email. Normal?

They're just starting to put the first batch of migration accounts through testing today for ENSTROGA, Igloo Energy and Symbio Energy. It will take some time to move everyone over and as soon as the testing is confirmed as going through ok they will start batch moving accounts.

Back
Top Bottom