Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

Soldato
It was probably a shot where the protagonist fires a weapon into/over the camera, which will be why he was firing it in direction of people, and I'm not an expert but the director and director of photography would usually be around the vicinity of the camera.

V F

V F

Soldato
If there are 'lessons to be learned' (hate that phrase) it means something went wrong, somebody will be liable.

I remember reading the story of the actor (Funboy - Michael Massee) it happened to for Brandon Lee. It severely haunted him for decades, in a way keeping him back in life with all the guilt and he died within the last few years or so. 2016 to be exact.

Soldato
It was probably a shot where the protagonist fires a weapon into/over the camera, which will be why he was firing it in direction of people, and I'm not an expert but the director and director of photography would usually be around the vicinity of the camera.

Yeah, seems like the most likely scenario.

Crazy how this can still happen with all safety checks in place, especially on a prop. I would have imagined that these things would have been impossible now with CGI and effects they have at their disposal. Unless super low budget ofc.

If there are 'lessons to be learned' (hate that phrase) it means something went wrong, somebody will be liable.

Broadly by "lessons to be learned" I meant exactly that. You can think of everything until you are blue in the face and still miss something until you learn from it. Hindsight is easy. It of course all depends on what is happening, searchinng for a person to blame every time somethinng goes wrong is not the right approach.

In this tragic case someone (person or company) will likely be liable though, whether the prop ends up being faulty and was not checked properly when being loaned out or something like that.

Soldato

Thing is blanks can still be dangerous and you shouldn't fire them directly towards people. For scenes where they are shooting directly at people on camera it's a different type of round I think, which just makes a lot of smoke and then they add in the sound effect later.

There is no reason why people off camera need to stand directly infront of it.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well its more exciting than anything out of holywood for about 10 years, will give you that but nothing more.

Caporegime
Probably the end of his career if only due to the guilt even if he isn't to blame for it. For his sake I'd hope he can move past it, but that is a heavy burden to carry.

Soldato
Where's the 3 times thing coming from?

If it was a 19th century western it's more likely to be a shotgun or something with a wide spread.

Maybe he put it on full auto by mistake?

In case it's not obvious, this is aimed at armchair experts who post authoritatively about firearms despite clearly not having a clue about them. No mockery of the dead or injured is intended.

Soldato
I would have imagined that these things would have been impossible now with CGI and effects they have at their disposal. Unless super low budget ofc.
With a lower budget, they are more likely to use CGI, it's cheaper to super impose muzzle flashes than hire an armourer.

Associate
Prop or not, Alec would still of had firearms training/briefing on how to handle the weapon. One main point that would have been drilled into him would be "DON'T POINT THE BANGY END AT ANYONE".

Associate
Well in John Wick they pulled off a hell of a lot of close combat illusions!!

I expect in that for close up stuff they'd have something else or cgi. Way too dangerous to be firing blanks at that range. Long range stuff they'd prefer blanks as just more realistic looking and sounding!

Back
Top Bottom