• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Associate
Imagine 4 cores was still a thing today. Horrible thought. Remember you had to spend a lot from Intel to get the Hex core platform.
4 core processors are still part of Intel desktop lineup. Laptop market is dominated by 4 core models.
It is a thing. And enough for many tasks.

Soldato
It might be on par until a point. Ie the cache isn’t being pushed hard and the latency from the mesh NUMA arrangement is suitable to the work load.
This is what I was getting at. As an arch, the Gracemont E cores are pretty much the same as Skylake cores with HT. So as cores, they're none too shabby. The letdown is Intel stitching them together as you say.

Soldato
Anyone care to speculate if current LGA 1700 motherboards are likely to support Raptor Lake / 13th gen CPUs?

When was the last time Intel released a board for a new CPU, then let you upgrade to the succeeding generation on the same motherboard?

This is likely to be a deciding factor for my dad's PC. If not, maybe I will recommend Zen3 with extra cache.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Anyone care to speculate if current LGA 1700 motherboards are likely to support Raptor Lake / 13th gen CPUs?

When was the last time Intel released a board for a new CPU, then let you upgrade to the succeeding generation on the same motherboard?

This is likely to be a deciding factor for my dad's PC. If not, maybe I will recommend Zen3 with extra cache.

z690 is supposed to support raptor lake too

Associate

Raptor lake (13th gen) will be LGA 1700 for sure , there is even talk of Meteor lake (14th gen ) also using LGA 1700 as apparently Intel want to change to a 3 year cycle rather than 2 from previous generations :)

Soldato
OP
Not mine

uczkj7chv9w71.jpg

Soldato
Raptor lake (13th gen) will be LGA 1700 for sure , there is even talk of Meteor lake (14th gen ) also using LGA 1700 as apparently Intel want to change to a 3 year cycle rather than 2 from previous generations :)
Is there any chart that confirms that?

Would be pretty ass to buy during Raptor Lake's release and then find out you can't even upgrade to Meteor Lake.

Soldato
Would need confirmation on the different chipsets to know for sure. There's rumours here that there will be new chipsets for Raptor Lake, I suppose around October/November 2022, here:
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-am5...n-q2-2022-raptors-lake-z790-series-in-q3-2022

Lol, people keep comparing the AMD's 5600X to a 12600K, not remotely fair, it should be compared to a 12400, which actually has the same number of cores. I think the 12400 will keep up, despite the limited all core clock speed of 4ghz.

It's a shame there probably won't be a 12400K, I suppose people will have to get the 12600K instead to overclock. It looks like clocks of around 4.9ghz should be achievable on most 12600K CPUs, judging by the turbo boost frequency spec.

At least the Turbo Power of 150w is an easy figure to understand (if it applies to the all-core turbo boost power usage), and probably won't run ridiculously hot like Rocket Lake CPUs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Will that only be for the DDR5 boards though? as I can't imagine Intel going with the dual memory controller for 3 generations?

Associate
Would need confirmation on the different chipsets to know for sure. There's rumours here that there will be new chipsets for Raptor Lake, I suppose around October/November 2022, here:
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-am5...n-q2-2022-raptors-lake-z790-series-in-q3-2022

Lol, people keep comparing the AMD's 5600X to a 12600K, not remotely fair, it should be compared to a 12400, which actually has the same number of cores. I think the 12400 will keep up, despite the limited all core clock speed of 4ghz.

It's a shame there probably won't be a 12400K, I suppose people will have to get the 12600K instead to overclock. It looks like clocks of around 4.9ghz should be achievable on most 12600K CPUs, judging by the turbo boost frequency spec.

At least the Turbo Power of 150w is an easy figure to understand (if it applies to the all-core turbo boost power usage), and probably won't run ridiculously hot like Rocket Lake CPUs.

If you have to disable the e-cores in your 12600K to prevent it from bricking denuvo infected games then it is fair.

Associate
What has happened with this launch? never known anything like it. I have a new CPU and coming and you can't actually buy a cooler that works out of the box!
Surely its so simple to supply stand offs that reduce the height by 1mm to enable proper contact.
I now have an 18 month old Corsair AIO cooler all fitted in an existing build and I cant even use it when the new kit arrives bloody infuriating and now I'm going to have to buy an NZXT cooler and refit kit.
Corsair are a big let down here!

Back
Top Bottom