• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Associate
I also find CPU-Z Zen 3 reference a little low...
Looks about right for stock spec memory and no curve optimizer.
selling Z690 DDR4 boards and Ram
Can't see a huge problem.
DDR4 boards + memory right now are
a) cheaper
b) available
c) the ultimate lowest latency gear1 solution. DDR4-3800 at CL14 will be unbeatable

It will be a while until low latency DDR5-7000 is widely available. And if you have to sell it, someone will want to pair it with a budget Alder Lake like 12400. DDR4 has no obvious drawbacks right now. Until benchmarks prove that more bandwidth is massively better.

Associate
personally I've gone for a DDR4 board one of the TUF series sick of overspending on high end boards with features I don't use that clock the same as the lower tier boards.

when I finally go DDR5 it will be on the release of Z790 boards should be much better Kits about by then and also board prices might come down to sensible levels.

I mean is there any one on here crazy enough to pay £1600 for Asus highest end board.

Associate
That's true. I'm willing to take a slight hit to avoid having to rebuild with a new board down the line and sell a DDR4 system though. I don't even have any DDR4 currently so it makes little sense to not go DDR5.
I don't think this socket will be that long-lived. I expect Raptor Lake next year to be the last upgrade for LGA 1700. By the time DDR5 matures, we will be on Z790

Soldato
We don't know how they compare with equivalent DDR4 kits though.

We can probably safely say early DDR5 isn’t going to compare well unless you start looking at the highest desktop kits.

Someone linked a 2x8gb DRR5 and IMO that would be like buying a 2x2Gb kit when DDR4 first arrived. One of the main reasons for DDR5 is to increase memory density so DDR5 will likely start to make sense when looking at 128gb kits where DDR4 starts to become expensive per Gigabyte. Ie it’s memory capacity that dictates the system and the CPU/motherboard is of less importance.

Last edited:
Soldato
https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1455388260063088641?s=20

FDKTlrIUUAMBBAc
The extremely low Multi score indicates this is not a 'standard' run.

Associate
I don't think this socket will be that long-lived. I expect Raptor Lake next year to be the last upgrade for LGA 1700. By the time DDR5 matures, we will be on Z790
Why would that stop me from buying faster DDR5 later though? It's obviously going to overtake DDR4 at some point. Or are you saying you think DDR4 buyers will stay on DDR4 for the life of their LGA1700 CPU?

Associate
Also that shows Windows 11 as being the tested platform when we already know that Microsoft colluded with Intel during coding. AMD had to have a patch released so that it was showing correct performance results so I have no idea when this test was taken and what level of patch had been applied to the OS build.

What the hell.. pre ordered a 12900k anyways.

Soldato
Why would that stop me from buying faster DDR5 later though? It's obviously going to overtake DDR4 at some point. Or are you saying you think DDR4 buyers will stay on DDR4 for the life of their LGA1700 CPU?

AMD are probably going to bring 32c 64t to AM5 and the ability to run 4 DIMMS unhindered. At that point upgrading a LGA 1700 system for 5% more performance will probably be somewhat mute.

Caporegime
If true it's under LN2 ... So it will not translate in real world unless you game or use your pc while you top up the cpu with LN2.. Many on the internet are saying it's fake and if anywhere near being true it's LN2 and using close to 500w if not more. I saw it earlier and didn't want to post this as it's clearly not under normal use conditions or maybe just fake rubbish again.

It probably is just as you say people benchmarking on LN2.

Caporegime
Looks about right for stock spec memory and no curve optimizer.
Can't see a huge problem.
DDR4 boards + memory right now are
a) cheaper
b) available
c) the ultimate lowest latency gear1 solution. DDR4-3800 at CL14 will be unbeatable

It will be a while until low latency DDR5-7000 is widely available. And if you have to sell it, someone will want to pair it with a budget Alder Lake like 12400. DDR4 has no obvious drawbacks right now. Until benchmarks prove that more bandwidth is massively better.

Well i guess is nice to know that at <5Ghz and on crap CL16-18-18 3200Mhz ram i'm 6% faster than a 5950X boosting to 5.05Ghz :D

Back
Top Bottom