• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Associate
https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1455388260063088641?s=20

FDKTlrIUUAMBBAc

The single threaded performance of these CPUs is turning out to be very impressive. I am starting to think even the 10600K might beat the 5900X in gaming.

OcUK Staff
@Gibbo eta on 36/6600 kits?

DDR5 is behind, I spoke to GeIL and when I complained they informed me for the USA market they only had 10 units of the 5200MHz kits to allocate, the UK even less.

Motherboards I do not look after sorry, but from what I can see stock is incoming but it is pretty tight. Plenty of CPU's, DDR4 is OK, DDR5 none existent and motherboards pretty tight, will improve in coming weeks.

Associate
DDR5 is behind, I spoke to GeIL and when I complained they informed me for the USA market they only had 10 units of the 5200MHz kits to allocate, the UK even less.

Motherboards I do not look after sorry, but from what I can see stock is incoming but it is pretty tight. Plenty of CPU's, DDR4 is OK, DDR5 none existent and motherboards pretty tight, will improve in coming weeks.

Thanks for that detail. Samsung needs to get it together. All the high end bins are their IC’s.

OcUK Staff
I was just about to post and ask about the RAM :'( - we should have picked it up when it released without a CPU and Mobo lol

Yes we had around 100 Corsair kits, which sold within hours of going live.

Samsung IC is always the best, hopefully will see a ramp up but all industries are under huge pressure.

Soldato
Going by what's going on and all the hints right from some of the techy's i've watched i'm gonna hold out till next year and see what AMD brings to the table. I'm struggling to see the advantage of paying DDR5 prices right now as an early adopter, working it out its like £1100 just to upgrade 3 main components which is pretty bonkers!

Soldato
That's impressive, the question is how that translates to real world performance.

I also find CPU-Z Zen 3 reference a little low...

Not so impressive then... 1Ghz overclock.

If true it's under LN2 ... So it will not translate in real world unless you game or use your pc while you top up the cpu with LN2.. Many on the internet are saying it's fake and if anywhere near being true it's LN2 and using close to 500w if not more. I saw it earlier and didn't want to post this as it's clearly not under normal use conditions or maybe just fake rubbish again.

Associate

Maybe a hint in this video regarding DDR4 vs DDR5, came out like an hour ago the video.

Happy to see you picked up on that comment "Hold off on Motherboard/Ram purchase' comment", that's why I added a direct link to the tweet.

I think 4th November there will be some happy people on their preorders and some not so happy. We have to wait and see so don't panic, worst case you can cancel the order if not sent out or refuse delivery so it gets sent back and get a refund.

I hope they have done something good Intel this time and puts a bit of pressure on AMD too and then AMD puts pressure back on them, so overall the consumer wins and we get better tech for the money.

I still can't get my head around people buying Z690 DDR4 boards though. In that video the guys do seem to be saying what I alluded to which is that it seems its more of a value proposition thing, where DDR5 might only be 5-10% faster than good DDR4 but costs twice as much. My limited understanding is that its literally only competitive FPS gamers chasing x00 Frames per second with the new Alderlakes and not wanting to lose any of that new performance gain with higher latency DDR5. Those are the only folks who really 'need' a Z690/DDR4 motherboard, but those are the folks writing the narrative that NONE of the rest of us (ie. the vast majority of us) should be buying DDR5 boards right now.

When the much faster and better value DDR5 arrives in 12-18 months, I'd wager I'll have a much easier job selling 2x16GB DDR5 Dimms of 5200mhz/CL36 Dominator RGB, than these folks will have selling Z690 DDR4 boards. Think about it, they will be selling those boards because they can finally get much better DDR5.....so where is the market for S/H Z690 DDR4 boards? Why would anyone buy one even S/H when they too can now buy a Z690 DDR5 board and high performance and great value DDR5?? ie. I'll have a S/H market to sell my Launch DDR5 into and I'd wager I'll have lost a lot less on it than those folks who bought Z690 DDR4 boards who now literally can't even sell them to fund their eventual upgrades to Z690 DDR5 boards and Ram.

Last edited:
Associate
I still can't get my head around people buying Z690 DDR4 boards though. In that video the guys do seem to be saying what I alluded to which is that it seems its more of a value proposition thing, where DDR5 might only be 5-10% faster than good DDR4 but costs twice as much. My limited understanding is that its literally only competitive FPS gamers chasing x00 Frames per second with the new Alderlakes and not wanting to lose any of that new performance gain with higher latency DDR5. Those are the only folks who really 'need' a Z690/DDR4 motherboard, but those are the folks writing the narrative that NONE of the rest of us (ie. the vast majority of us) should be buying DDR5 boards right now.

When the much faster and better value DDR5 arrives in 12-18 months, I'd wager I'll have a much easier job selling 2x16GB DDR5 Dimms of 5200mhz/CL36 Dominator RGB, than these folks will have selling Z690 DDR4 boards and Ram. Think about it, they will be selling those boards because they can finally get much better DDR5.....so where is the market for S/H Z690 DDR4 boards? Why would anyone buy one even S/H when they too can now buy a Z690 DDR5 board and high performance and great value DDR5?? ie. I'll have a S/H market to sell my Launch DDR5 into and I'd wager I'll have lost a lot less on it than those folks who bought Z690 DDR4 boards who now literally can't even sell them to fund their eventual upgrades to Z690 DDR5 boards and Ram.
Depends on the requirements. If there is little to no difference in gaming, I would go DDR4 for the simple reason that this socket won't last beyond Raptor Lake, so there is no point paying these high prices for marginal differences. I still think the Alder Lake upgrade is quite pricey even going DDR4 as the prices of the boards seem to be much higher than X570 equivalents. For me, it entirely depends on what is the margin of outperformance for 12900k to the 5950x in gaming. If its huge, I will buckle up and pay those prices. If its only 10%, I may even go Zen 3 and get a 5900X as supply is stable, BIOS updates have ironed out all the kinks and DDR4 is perfectly fien for gaming.

Don
so where is the market for S/H Z690 DDR4 boards? Why would anyone buy one even S/H when they too can now buy a Z690 DDR5 board and high performance and great value DDR5??

Because there will still be second hand buyers thinking the same as new buyers, in that not having to buy new ram will save them some money (however shortsighted that view is).

I'll have a S/H market to sell my Launch DDR5 into and I'd wager I'll have lost a lot less on it than those folks who bought Z690 DDR4 boards who now literally can't even sell them to fund their eventual upgrades to Z690 DDR5 boards and Ram.

"Slow" DDR5 value will drop off a value cliff pretty sharpish however (the same way launch DDR4 is almost worthless these days), "Fast" Ram regardless of generation always holds it's value, as there is always someone wanting it to eek extra performance out of an existing build without doing a complete upgrade (or for a 2nd build using spare parts etc).

Transition/Hybrid boards e.g. DDR4 Alderlake, always seem to have reasonable resale - this was the case with DDR2/DDR3 hybrid boards, and DDR/DDR2 boards historically.

Back
Top Bottom