• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Associate
Very possible, I mean games only need so many cores and not like there is a huge difference in core speeds between 5800x and 5950x.

Good to finally see some progress from Intel I say. Even though I have no interest in buying alder lake, I like tech and it is good seeing more competition.

your cpu will be good for a 4-5 years tbh unless there is a massive leap power requirements in games ect

Associate
I managed to order my 12900K at 4.18pm on launch day (Cause OCUK jumped the gun with their product listing upload to the site), so when I hear about order lists in the thousands, I smile because for the first time in my life I F5'd my way to VICTORY!! LOL. I must be close to the top of the 12900K order list.

Feeling less nervous about the reviews now after that Hardware unboxed tweet. They seem even more excited for the 12900K than the early leaks indicated we should be (tempered by the Win10/11 scheduler bug hampering Zen3) Those tests were done with decent DDR4 AFAIK. One wonders if the 'Hold off on Motherboard/Ram purchase' comment, rather than what everyone assumes it to hint at, ie. 'Buy DDR4 not DDR5 gear', might actually be the opposite, ie. That the 'Lowly' 4800-5200mhz CL34-40 DDR5 kits available at launch actually outperform very good DDR4 due to the RAM architecture changes and so no real reason to go DDR4 unless the extra €100-€150 cost of the DDR5 is too rich for your blood.

I went with a Asus Maximus Hero Z690 and the fastest whilst also decent looking RGB DDR5 I could find. ie. 2x16GB 5200mhz/CL36/13.84ns Corsair Dominator RGB. I did not want to postpone a decent good looking mobo and settle for a cheap DDR4 board now because I knew I'd have to swap it out for a decent DDR5 board in 12-18 months once the much better performing and value DDR5 finally arrives. Happy to potentially sacrifice some performance now but have my 'Forever' DDR5 Z690 board and just have to swap out the Ram for better stuff in 12-18 months. TBH, Given I am GPU limited for my VR Gaming and Simming even with my RTX3090, the potential speed/latency compromise of DDR5 wouldn't be an issue for me anyway. I am by no means an expert and don't understand most of this stuff anyway but tbh, it seems to me that most of the Anti DDR5 comments are related to value rather than performance. ie. People saying that the DDR5 available now is no or not much better than good DDR4 yet is double the cost. Well, as far as I'm concerned, if the launch Dimm kits are at least as good as good DDR4 then I am happy to pay an extra €100-€150 now to have my 'Forever' DDR5 Board that'll look great in my case from the getgo and I won't ever have to take out again, than to have to see a cheap nasty DDR4 board in my O11 Dynamic XL case for 18 months while I waited for 'the good stuff'.

Last edited:
Soldato
fdlbvffveaaezfp-jpg.png
Fascinating. Those read, write and copy speeds are very impressive, not so much the latency but I can see that coming down as speeds increase.

Associate
I managed to order my 12900K at 4.18pm on launch day (Cause OCUK jumped the gun with their product listing upload to the site), so when I hear about order lists in the thousands, I smile because for the first time in my life I F5'd my way to VICTORY!! LOL. I must be close to the top of the 12900K order list.

Feeling less nervous about the reviews now after that Hardware unboxed tweet. They seem even more excited for the 12900K than the early leaks indicated we should be (tempered by the Win10/11 scheduler bug hampering Zen3) Those tests were done with decent DDR4 AFAIK. One wonders if the 'Hold off on Motherboard/Ram purchase' comment, rather than what everyone assumes it to hint at, ie. 'Buy DDR4 not DDR5 gear', might actually be the opposite, ie. 5200/CL36 DDR5 allows a 12900K to stretch its legs even further!! (Hope so, LOL, cause thats what I bought to tide me over for 12-18 months till the much better performing and value DDR5 stuff arrives)

I went with a Asus Maximus Hero Z690 and the fastest whilst also decent looking RGB DDR5 I could find. ie. 2x16GB 5200mhz/CL36/13.84ns Corsair Dominator RGB. I did not want to postpone a decent good looking mobo and settle for a cheap DDR4 board now because I knew I'd have to swap it out for a decent DDR5 board in 12-18 months. Happy to potentially sacrifice some performance now but have my 'Forever' DDR5 Z690 board and just have to swap out the Ram for better stuff in 12-18 months. TBH, Given I am GPU limited for my VR Gaming and Simming even with my RTX3090, the potential speed/latency compromise of DDR5 wouldn't be an issue for me anyway. I am by no means an expert and don't understand most of this stuff anyway but tbh, it seems to me that most of the Anti DDR5 comments are related to value rather than performance. ie. People saying that the DDR5 available now is no better than good DDR4 yet is double the cost. Well, as far as I'm concerned, if the launch Dimm kits are at least as good as good DDR4 then I am happy to pay an extra €100-€150 now to have my 'Forever' DDR5 Board that'll look great in my case from the getgo and I won't ever have to take out again, than to have to see a cheap nasty DDR4 board in my O11 Dynamic XL case for 18 months while I waited for 'the good stuff'.
Same. I'm willing to take a hit on DDR5 if it means not pulling the board later. I don't even own any DDR4 now currently anyway. Personally I think DDR5 edges it. Intel were using DDR5 4400 in all their gaming slides.

Man of Honour
Remember though Alderlake supports dynamic RAM overclocking for both DDR4 and DDR5, so whatever RAM you have you should be able to get a bit more % out of it thanks to that what appears to be a simple toggle feature in the BIOS alone.

Soldato
Soldato

Feeling less nervous about the reviews now after that Hardware unboxed tweet. They seem even more excited for the 12900K than the early leaks indicated we should be (tempered by the Win10/11 scheduler bug hampering Zen3) Those tests were done with decent DDR4 AFAIK. One wonders if the 'Hold off on Motherboard/Ram purchase' comment, rather than what everyone assumes it to hint at, ie. 'Buy DDR4 not DDR5 gear', might actually be the opposite, ie. That the 'Lowly' 4800-5200mhz CL34-40 DDR5 kits available at launch actually outperform very good DDR4 due to the RAM architecture changes and so no real reason to go DDR4 unless the extra €100-€150 cost of the DDR5 is too rich for your blood.

I went with a Asus Maximus Hero Z690 and the fastest whilst also decent looking RGB DDR5 I could find. ie. 2x16GB 5200mhz/CL36/13.84ns Corsair Dominator RGB. I did not want to postpone a decent good looking mobo and settle for a cheap DDR4 board now because I knew I'd have to swap it out for a decent DDR5 board in 12-18 months once the much better performing and value DDR5 finally arrives. Happy to potentially sacrifice some performance now but have my 'Forever' DDR5 Z690 board and just have to swap out the Ram for better stuff in 12-18 months. TBH, Given I am GPU limited for my VR Gaming and Simming even with my RTX3090, the potential speed/latency compromise of DDR5 wouldn't be an issue for me anyway. I am by no means an expert and don't understand most of this stuff anyway but tbh, it seems to me that most of the Anti DDR5 comments are related to value rather than performance. ie. People saying that the DDR5 available now is no or not much better than good DDR4 yet is double the cost. Well, as far as I'm concerned, if the launch Dimm kits are at least as good as good DDR4 then I am happy to pay an extra €100-€150 now to have my 'Forever' DDR5 Board that'll look great in my case from the getgo and I won't ever have to take out again, than to have to see a cheap nasty DDR4 board in my O11 Dynamic XL case for 18 months while I waited for 'the good stuff'.

Maybe a hint in this video regarding DDR4 vs DDR5, came out like an hour ago the video.

Happy to see you picked up on that comment "Hold off on Motherboard/Ram purchase' comment", that's why I added a direct link to the tweet.

I think 4th November there will be some happy people on their preorders and some not so happy. We have to wait and see so don't panic, worst case you can cancel the order if not sent out or refuse delivery so it gets sent back and get a refund.

I hope they have done something good Intel this time and puts a bit of pressure on AMD too and then AMD puts pressure back on them, so overall the consumer wins and we get better tech for the money.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

We have now pre-sold over 500 of the new 12th gen CPU's, we shall be shipping or trying to ship all these out on 4th November. Do not worry we still have all lines in stock so anybody ordering a 12th gen from OcUK will get a CPU still, we really have owned the UK market on this launch as we have huge stock piles of 12th gen in our warehouse.

We are now pushing for more DDR5, but alas we also have the largest range of DDR5 in the UK as well with more planned. :)

Soldato

Maybe a hint in this video regarding DDR4 vs DDR5, came out like an hour ago the video.

Happy to see you picked up on that comment "Hold off on Motherboard/Ram purchase' comment", that's why I added a direct link to the tweet.

I think 4th November there will be some happy people on their preorders and some not so happy. We have to wait and see so don't panic, worst case you can cancel the order if not sent out or refuse delivery so it gets sent back and get a refund.

I hope they have done something good Intel this time and puts a bit of pressure on AMD too and then AMD puts pressure back on them, so overall the consumer wins and we get better tech for the money.
Jump to 7 min 30

Associate
Hi there

We have now pre-sold over 500 of the new 12th gen CPU's, we shall be shipping or trying to ship all these out on 4th November. Do not worry we still have all lines in stock so anybody ordering a 12th gen from OcUK will get a CPU still, we really have owned the UK market on this launch as we have huge stock piles of 12th gen in our warehouse.

We are now pushing for more DDR5, but alas we also have the largest range of DDR5 in the UK as well with more planned. :)

Good to know what about the motherboards also?
I was kinda hoping they'd ship tomorrow for November 4th delivery but another day will suffice.

I should say more specifically the ROG Strix Z690 Gaming A.

Soldato
Hi there

Fantastic news, what about the z690 boards?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
your cpu will be good for a 4-5 years tbh unless there is a massive leap power requirements in games ect
My thoughts exactly. My 4770K lasted me around 6 years (though that was mainly due to a lack on innovation on the part of Intel) so with 3x the number of cores and much better IPC to boot I can’t see why the 5900X won’t last that long if I decide to keep it. I am a 4K gamer anyway and can’t see it struggling to push 60-120 fps until next gen consoles come out personally.

Man of Honour
You should run the Puget Photoshop benchmark on your 6700K for comparison.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/PugetBench-for-Photoshop-1132/

Cheers just installed and did a run, thing used 30GB RAM at numerous points :eek:

Result from 6700K: https://www.pugetsystems.com/benchmarks/view.php?id=62392

Looking at the results browser it seems my score is in the upper end of the 6700K results submitted there so at least I know my existing setup is up to scratch for its age which means the 12700K with the same RAM and GFX will be interesting to see the results of.

Back
Top Bottom