• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC vs Console, has high GPU prices played a part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I've posted it before but steam user base has increased through pandemic and stayed at record breaking levels since. there has been more people pc gaming not less. so this thread can be closed because high gpu prices hasn't impacted it at all unless it would have grown even further. anyway like i said those that are leaving to go to console are a minority. more are joining pc gaming than ever before proven by steam stats

Would be interesting to see how many hours people are putting in. I built a brand new 3070fe based itx pc over lockdown and it barely gets used.

Caporegime
Would be interesting to see how many hours people are putting in. I built a brand new 3070fe based itx pc over lockdown and it barely gets used.

They give monthly stats. So the figure hasn't dropped it's been growing. So those that barely use it would usually stop using it altogether. Either way the user base has increased and stayed high with slight increases. It's at record levels.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
It's worse than that, you don't even get lube with GPUs atm :D

They have weeping oil on some models, think its silicon.. :D

What games were they out of curiosity?

+1

I have a Ps5 and a pc. I have a 290x, which needs upgrading. The current prices which will most likely continue until 2023, an upgrade makes no financial sense. I can afford whatever I like, but I refuse to be lubed.

So PC gaming is on the back burner for a long time. I would imagine, many are in the same position.

Sell the 290x and use that to pay for half a 3060 or better?

Associate
All this is buying and selling for more money ( scalping) is all part of the cause that 4 series cards will cost a kidney and also why the GPU market is still in a mess.

Flee bay has more 3 series FE cards than Nvidia :confused:

Selling a 290x after using it for so many years is not scalping.

Associate
Id say its put a lot of new commers off i know several people who looked at pc prices for 10 minutes then bought an xbox

Truth be told if games like satisfactory or valheim was on console i wouldnt bother with pc im not a big shooter or driving game fan so still play on my pc for now as far as upgrading it or replacing parts i wont be bothering

Soldato
Pc and ps5, I spend more time on the ps5, I use a keyboard and mouse for cod black ops, mw and warzone and feels same as a pc.
I also own a rift s and psvr and the psvr gets way more use due to firewall zero hour.
Can't see myself investing too much in pc gaming going forward

Soldato
Soldato
No, it hasn't. And I'd be wary of "research" groups which tell you 10% of PC gamers have a PS5 when they couldn't possibly have shipped that many in the first place, let alone all of them go to players who are primarily PC ones.
They've shipped loads

Soldato
They've shipped loads

as of June they'd sold 10m PS5's, there are an estimated 1.75bn PC gamers in the world, so 10% would be 175m, so no they have not shipped 175m PS5's at all, and there's no way they were ALL PC gamers anyway

the OP does say "in America", but even then that would be over 200m PC gamers, or 20m PS5's

the basic math doesn't add up

Soldato
as of June they'd sold 10m PS5's, there are an estimated 1.75bn PC gamers in the world, so 10% would be 175m, so no they have not shipped 175m PS5's at all, and there's no way they were ALL PC gamers anyway

the OP does say "in America", but even then that would be over 200m PC gamers, or 20m PS5's

the basic math doesn't add up
The math(s) doesn’t add up. 1.75bn pc gamers in the world that’s about 20-25%. Of the world’s population are pc gamers. That figure seems very very high.

Soldato
The math(s) doesn’t add up. 1.75bn pc gamers in the world that’s about 20-25%. Of the world’s population are pc gamers. That figure seems very very high.

That figure comes from intel

even so, whatever numbers you want to pull out of thin air, 10m PS5's sold world wide, how many in US? no numbers available, even if you call it half that would be 5m, which would mean there were 50m PC gamers in the US?
it all revolves around what you call a "PC Gamer", and they would have absolutely no way of proving co-ownership of consoles

my house has 3 PC gamers, we had a PS4 for like 1 month because my son wanted to play 1 game and then he sold it on again, how would that even show up or not in these figures, its just nonsense

all the metrics we have show that PC gaming is growing, whenever you compare like for like numbers from the same source

PS5 is outselling PS4 over the same time period, but PS4 didn't outsell PS2...

Last edited:
Permabanned
That figure comes from intel

even so, whatever numbers you want to pull out of thin air, 10m PS5's sold world wide, how many in US? no numbers available, even if you call it half that would be 5m, which would mean there were 50m PC gamers in the US?
it all revolves around what you call a "PC Gamer", and they would have absolutely no way of proving co-ownership of consoles

my house has 3 PC gamers, we had a PS4 for like 1 month because my son wanted to play 1 game and then he sold it on again, how would that even show up or not in these figures, its just nonsense

all the metrics we have show that PC gaming is growing, whenever you compare like for like numbers from the same source

PS5 is outselling PS4 over the same time period, but PS4 didn't outsell PS2...

PS5 is out selling PS4, but most of those PS5s end up on auction sites to be scalped. My guess is about a third of them end up there.

Soldato
PS5 is out selling PS4, but most of those PS5s end up on auction sites to be scalped. My guess is about a third of them end up there.

That's irrelevant because even if 10 million scalpers buy a PS5 and sell them to gamers, that's still 10 million gamers with a PS5. So the PS5 outselling PS4 point is still valid.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Think in the current situation both PCs and consoles will sell incredibly well just because demand for all tech is still through the roof

They are also fresh in their lifecycle. PS4's were still selling hot as pandemic took hold and probably still selling now, the PS5 is only gonna get refreshes and more variations to churn out loads over the next few years for sure.

Associate
They are also fresh in their lifecycle. PS4's were still selling hot as pandemic took hold and probably still selling now, the PS5 is only gonna get refreshes and more variations to churn out loads over the next few years for sure.
Yeah think the PS5 will break many records by the end of it's lifecycle!

Caporegime

Where do they end up after the auction site? It doesn't matter how they get there as long as they do. If there was no demand they wouldn't be scalped so all those consoles are ending up in the end at the hand of people who will use them.

So every console sold is going to a gamer one way or another. Therefore all sales are legit. However steam users keeps on going up and is currently at record breaking levels so therefore they aren't going to console.

Permabanned
Where do they end up after the auction site? It doesn't matter how they get there as long as they do. If there was no demand they wouldn't be scalped so all those consoles are ending up in the end at the hand of people who will use them.

So every console sold is going to a gamer one way or another. Therefore all sales are legit. However steam users keeps on going up and is currently at record breaking levels so therefore they aren't going to console.

Okay, but what if those PS5s would end up as unsold stock, as there are literally so many on there unsold, being held in the hopes it can be scalped to the herd.

Caporegime
Okay, but what if those PS5s would end up as unsold stock, as there are literally so many on there unsold, being held in the hopes it can be scalped to the herd.

You think scalpers are just going to take a £500 loss and throw it in the bin or store it in the loft?

Lower price until sold. Simple. Either way it ends up in a gamers hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom