Google Pixel 5

Ico

Ico

Associate
Thanks, I just wanted to confirm it was casting and not mirroring :) I haven't seen this before. There are sometimes I have to wait 10 to 15 seconds for a device to show up on the list of available devices, but I definitely have cast from iPlayer recently.
still no joy i think i need chromecast dongle to make it work. What model tv do you have please. Whats the difference between casting and mirroring in max. output quality supported terms thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a Samsung and a Sony, I also have a Nest Hub that can be cast too and I think a Max speaker.

Mirroring is just copying your screen onto a TV. Casting passes the info to the cast device which makes its own connection to the service, in this case iPlayer. You could start a cast going and turn your phone off. If you mirror, you are just showing your phone screen on your TV.

Ico

Ico

Associate
i see. probably both your TVs have chromecast built in thats why its working straightaway. Im giving up now im just testing phone for any faults i dont need Cast screen atm. Thanks for help

Ico

Ico

Associate
found this on google support page. They even mixing casting a mirroring :D
Step 2. Cast your screen from your Android device
  1. Make sure your mobile phone or tablet is on the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast device.
  2. Open the Google Home app
    5E_3aZGtK82BkUi25OmFbZ4yibAi69ZjSugsIehwvua1xKooboX7pV6FRRGaK0fwaA=w18
  3. Tap the device you want to cast your screen to.
  4. Tap Cast my screen
    i8lMRrK5my6vEqF0C1oCJpypX_i0xKQfseGokF-fKHrsGI46ilohrcPrQC36jcKpoV4=h36
    QbWcYKta5vh_4-OgUeFmK-JOB0YgLLoGh69P478nE6mKdfpWQniiBabjF7FVoCVXI0g=h36
    Cast screen.
Step 3. Adjust the volume when casting your Android screen
  1. Open the Google Home app
    9MpaXj2oIHIZU4JiCl6Nos9Ac3VRocyuFxWcvgwnb7FRVsPTcLXGUdvWP8W8LqReE40=w18
  2. Tap your device, then adjust the volume.
Step 4. Stop casting your screen from your Android device
From the Google Home app
  1. Make sure your mobile phone or tablet is on the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast device.
  2. Open the Google Home app
    5E_3aZGtK82BkUi25OmFbZ4yibAi69ZjSugsIehwvua1xKooboX7pV6FRRGaK0fwaA=w18
  3. Tap your device
    QbWcYKta5vh_4-OgUeFmK-JOB0YgLLoGh69P478nE6mKdfpWQniiBabjF7FVoCVXI0g=h36
    Stop mirroring
    i8lMRrK5my6vEqF0C1oCJpypX_i0xKQfseGokF-fKHrsGI46ilohrcPrQC36jcKpoV4=h36

Soldato
I am missing mg pixel 5, the 6 is nice but struggling with weight and size.

Anyone else get a 6 and find it a bit big ?
Not exactly but I did have a good feel (matron!) of one in currys and was more put off by the weight than size but yeah. Was a dealbreaker. Will get another year out of the P5 and see how things look this time next year.

Ico

Ico

Associate
Hi all
im after some quality screen protector for P5. I red Amazon reviews that some of them trigger proximity sensor when calling is it true. Does screen protector decrease volume of top speaker. Thanks in advance

Ico

Ico

Associate
Hi all
i cant transfer data from old Samsung A3 to P5 through the cable. No message on the screens thus no idea why its not working P5 just showing quick charging sign and then disconnects and it repeats until i disconnect usb cable from P5. I can connect both phones to the PC without issues. Question is can i simply copy data from old phone to PC and then copy those data to the new phone. Or it doesnt work like that. Thank you for any input

Soldato
Hi all
i cant transfer data from old Samsung A3 to P5 through the cable. No message on the screens thus no idea why its not working P5 just showing quick charging sign and then disconnects and it repeats until i disconnect usb cable from P5. I can connect both phones to the PC without issues. Question is can i simply copy data from old phone to PC and then copy those data to the new phone. Or it doesnt work like that. Thank you for any input

i had something similar before. you should be able to force a backup to google drive on old phone and then restore back up ?

Ico

Ico

Associate
i had something similar before. you should be able to force a backup to google drive on old phone and then restore back up ?
Hi isnt it same way like i suggested . Back up to google drive is wireless right ? Instead of wireless i can connect both phones via usb cables to PC and do it the way i mentioned before dont i. Should be quicker through cable too

My mrs has my 5 at the moment, and that's the issue. I keep seeing and feeling it :D

You're going to have to break up with her, it's the only way to fully move on from the p5 :p

I thought when I went from p2 to p5 I'd never get used to the small size, now I never wish to leave it. My partners p6 looks pointlessly big. I don't blame you for missing the smaller size. I personally enjoy the extra inch of space in my pocket

Soldato
You're going to have to break up with her, it's the only way to fully move on from the p5 :p

I thought when I went from p2 to p5 I'd never get used to the small size, now I never wish to leave it. My partners p6 looks pointlessly big. I don't blame you for missing the smaller size. I personally enjoy the extra inch of space in my pocket

Yeah I know what you mean, but seeing the pros as well, multi tasking is so much easier

Soldato
Hi all
just bought P5 and digging in slowly. All seems fine i just cant figure it out why i cant cast phone content to LG oled. Youtube is mirrored straight away but BBC iplayer or Prime videos dont show mirroring option. Any help would be appreciated

Going to fix a few misunderstandings here, LG and Samsung uses DLNA which only a small number of apps supports (eg YouTube). Sony is usually based on Android TV which supports the Chromecast API, which iPlayer and Prime supports. Usually you can mirror to TVs as a work around but that's extra work for the phone as it needs to record, encode, then stream it to the TV while casting natively via DLNA/CC sends the media URL to the TV for it to handle. Mirroring requires a fast home network if you're after quality since it's usually bitrate heavy.

Ico

Ico

Associate
Going to fix a few misunderstandings here, LG and Samsung uses DLNA which only a small number of apps supports (eg YouTube). Sony is usually based on Android TV which supports the Chromecast API, which iPlayer and Prime supports. Usually you can mirror to TVs as a work around but that's extra work for the phone as it needs to record, encode, then stream it to the TV while casting natively via DLNA/CC sends the media URL to the TV for it to handle. Mirroring requires a fast home network if you're after quality since it's usually bitrate heavy.
thanks for explanation it all makes sense. Work around isnt worth it. If i need casting ill just buy chromecast dongle. Its working that way AndyCr15 confirmed it. Can you tell me please what will be video quality when i cast from phone to tv using chromecast. Is it full HD or 720p. Thanks in advance.
LG offering app for casting from phone to TV but supports only casting videos from phone nothing else it cant cast Iplayer or Prime.

Soldato
My mrs has my 5 at the moment, and that's the issue. I keep seeing and feeling it :D

Mine's sat on my desk sat next to my 6. Every day I turn it on, update all the apps, then go to do something on it and then remember my P6 has my sim card :D

Then go to pick up the P6 and it feels like a bit of a brick to be honest.

Still don't know if I can break up with the 5... might wait and see if the December update fixes the software issues on the 6 and then decide.

Soldato
thanks for explanation it all makes sense. Work around isnt worth it. If i need casting ill just buy chromecast dongle. Its working that way AndyCr15 confirmed it. Can you tell me please what will be video quality when i cast from phone to tv using chromecast. Is it full HD or 720p. Thanks in advance.
LG offering app for casting from phone to TV but supports only casting videos from phone nothing else it cant cast Iplayer or Prime.

Casting will go up to whatever resolution the TV/media is capable of, or whatever the app itself allows. In Prime's case, it casts to 1080p max. I believe BBC iPlayer is also capped at 1080p. YouTube can go 4K if the TV allows it. Basically you're not limited to whatever phone you're casting from.

The LG app can't grab 3rd party streaming content hence why it's limited to local files. Prime and iPlayer themselves will need to support the DLNA standard but big chances they won't spare the resources and will focus on the Chromecast standard instead.

Back
Top Bottom