Greta Thunberg

Soldato
Greta and Attenborough are not remotely the same, tho. They might have the same objective but that's where the similarity ends.

Greta resurrected her "Blah, blah, blah," line the other day, which I found hugely ironic, because that's how I'd sum her up, really.

She's not interesting, she's just droning on making the same complaints endlessly. Even if they are valid complaints, she is not coming from any kind of position of authority to make them. She's not got the experience (or charisma) of Attenborough, she's a kid that has a very limited repertoire and has become a broken record.

Yeah she's on TV because she's a media darling, but I did notice how little excitement she managed to drum up from the crowd - her own supporters.

The whole point is she is young. Sir David, a national treasure, is in his final few years of his life at best. Of course he's got more charisma, he's got a 70 year career on the TV behind him. I'm pleased he is still out there doing his bit but this isn't his fight or it certainly won't be for much longer.

I don't even know what her bla bla bla line is, if I had to guess its her mocking politicians as that is all they actually do, just talk the same old line while nothing actually gets done.

How is she meant to be in a position of authority? She is 18 years old. You seem to believe that younger people's opinion on how we've helped **** the planet is irrelevant. They are the ones that are going to have to deal with this mess.

Soldato
She's a puppet and getting manipulated and financed heavily here for it. Once the powers that be that is funding her, she'll get dropped like no tomorrow once the support is no longer in favour. It's a good old ploy here. The elite using a child so the child cannot be criticised by most of the masses. More so the fact it's one they've used with a disability. Plus her parents are of the same ilk. Rebels without a cause to exploit and grab money. It's practically another form of Bob Geldof watching it.

You can also see her adoration for so called fame through all of this.

It's a real shame though, as she's going to end up a very bitter adult full of hatred for the world. You can see it happening already.

Manipulated and financed by who? And why? Is Sir David Attenborough a mug? Is he being manipulated? Is he a puppet for the elite?

As for using a child so she can't be criticised :cry::cry::cry:

Caporegime
How is she meant to be in a position of authority? She is 18 years old. You seem to believe that younger people's opinion on how we've helped **** the planet is irrelevant. They are the ones that are going to have to deal with this mess.
On that specific point... is there any evidence that the youth of today don't want the same lifestyles we've had?

That they don't want to drive cars, or have holiday's abroad, or buy a new iPhone every year?

And who is in fact worse? Those who over-indulged but were somewhat ignorant, or those who over-indulge in the full knowledge of what they're doing?

Have young people stopped jetting off to Ibiza for their jollies? Have they stopped buying convenience food in plastic wrapping?

I think you'll find that your average young person today is talking the talk, but not walking the walk.

Permabanned
"The 2015 Paris climate agreement set a goal of limiting the warming of the Earth to 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) above pre-industrial temperatures, or, failing that, keeping it under 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit). The world has already gotten 1.1 degrees Celsius (2 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer since the late 1800s.

The difference between what happens at 1.5 degrees and 2 degrees can hit the Arctic harder than the rest of the world, University of Alaska Fairbanks climate scientist John Walsh, a member of the Arctic monitoring team. “We can save the Arctic, or at least preserve it in many ways, but we’re going to lose that if we go above 1.5.”

The Arctic itself has blown past 2 degrees Celsius of warming, Stroeve said. It’s approaching 9 degrees Celsius (16 degrees Fahrenheit) of warming in November, she said.

This isn’t just a problem for people living in the Arctic. It spells trouble for regions much farther south.

An increasingly large number of studies link Arctic changes to alterations of the jet stream — the river of air that moves weather from west to east — and other weather systems. And those changes, scientists say, can contribute to more extreme weather events, such as floods, drought, the February Texas freeze, or more severe wildfires.

Also, the melting of ice sheets and glaciers can add considerably to rising sea levels.

“The fate of places like Miami are tied very closely to the fate of the Greenland,” said David Balton, director of the U.S. Arctic Executive Steering Committee, which coordinates U.S. domestic regulations involving the Arctic and deals with other northern nations. “If you live in Topeka, Kansas, or if you live in California. If you live in Nigeria, your life is going to be affected. ... The Arctic matters on all sorts of levels.”"

Ice on the edge of survival: Warming is changing the Arctic (msn.com)

Soldato
I don't even know what her bla bla bla line is, if I had to guess its her mocking politicians as that is all they actually do, just talk the same old line while nothing actually gets done.

Just the frustration its all talk and nothing but talk commit to this blah blah do this blah blah but what does it really mean? Very little. Case in point watching the news early this morning some representative from some supermarket saying they're going to halve their carbon usage by 30 years time or something or other the actual newsreader was expressing his frustration at wanting to do the "green" thing but miles of plastic packaging on everything, she was going on about forests and the environment and this that and the other. Yes, yes, very good, you're paid a lot of money to be a PR spokesperson but what you're committing to is so very vague it may as well not be said at all, just words that make people feel better about spending money on their next supermarket trip. The term "greenwashing" sprang to mind. Even I was saying "blah blah blah" by that point.

Soldato
"The 2015 Paris climate agreement set a goal of limiting the warming of the Earth to 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) above pre-industrial temperatures, or, failing that, keeping it under 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit). The world has already gotten 1.1 degrees Celsius (2 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer since the late 1800s.

The difference between what happens at 1.5 degrees and 2 degrees can hit the Arctic harder than the rest of the world, University of Alaska Fairbanks climate scientist John Walsh, a member of the Arctic monitoring team. “We can save the Arctic, or at least preserve it in many ways, but we’re going to lose that if we go above 1.5.”

The Arctic itself has blown past 2 degrees Celsius of warming, Stroeve said. It’s approaching 9 degrees Celsius (16 degrees Fahrenheit) of warming in November, she said.

This isn’t just a problem for people living in the Arctic. It spells trouble for regions much farther south.

An increasingly large number of studies link Arctic changes to alterations of the jet stream — the river of air that moves weather from west to east — and other weather systems. And those changes, scientists say, can contribute to more extreme weather events, such as floods, drought, the February Texas freeze, or more severe wildfires.

Also, the melting of ice sheets and glaciers can add considerably to rising sea levels.

“The fate of places like Miami are tied very closely to the fate of the Greenland,” said David Balton, director of the U.S. Arctic Executive Steering Committee, which coordinates U.S. domestic regulations involving the Arctic and deals with other northern nations. “If you live in Topeka, Kansas, or if you live in California. If you live in Nigeria, your life is going to be affected. ... The Arctic matters on all sorts of levels.”"

Its more serious than that if the arctic melt theres the risk the ocean current conveyor will shut down. Surface currents move northwards to the arctic where they cool and sink to the depths where they move back to the tropics where they rise again completing the cycle. The flow of warm water keeps western europe warmer than it would be for its latitude. Also it oxygenates the oceans if the conveyor shut down there would be no flow of oxygen to the depths and the oceans would become anoxic. Which has happened in the past ironically its where our oil reserves come from dead animals and plants sink to the bottom where they don't decompose properly and over time build up a stinking sludge that eventually turns into oil .If you've ever seen a stagnant ditch that stinks with hydrogen sulphide, rotten egs thats what the oceans have been like in the past and would become again to add to all the other woes of 50c temperatures etc. Its a vision of hell.

Soldato

Ice on the edge of survival: Warming is changing the Arctic (msn.com)

It will be back

Caporegime
He shoots! He missed !

I already covered the absolute scientific facts in a previous post.

The only essential amino acids humans require are ONLY and ALL found in plants, only.

We do not need anything from meat, at all, there is zero essential molecules in meat.

The more you know huh ?

It's almost as if humans evolved to require plants as their diet.... ? I mean, you don't need to argue with me about it - you need to have a word with Mother Nature, evolution clearly demonstrates what we really evolved to eat.

Is this true though? (genuine question btw)

I've heard countless times that vegetarians (or vegans? can't remember) need to take supplements to raise the levels of certain things in their diets as they miss some nutrients from meat or something.

You got any interesting articles for this?

Soldato
Just the frustration its all talk and nothing but talk commit to this blah blah do this blah blah but what does it really mean? Very little. Case in point watching the news early this morning some representative from some supermarket saying they're going to halve their carbon usage by 30 years time or something or other the actual newsreader was expressing his frustration at wanting to do the "green" thing but miles of plastic packaging on everything, she was going on about forests and the environment and this that and the other. Yes, yes, very good, you're paid a lot of money to be a PR spokesperson but what you're committing to is so very vague it may as well not be said at all, just words that make people feel better about spending money on their next supermarket trip. The term "greenwashing" sprang to mind. Even I was saying "blah blah blah" by that point.

Change doesn't happen over night. Its incredibly slow but at least it is slowly moving in the right direction. Once it starts hitting nations hard, more money and effort will be put into it and necessity is the mother of invention after all.

Soldato
On that specific point... is there any evidence that the youth of today don't want the same lifestyles we've had?

That they don't want to drive cars, or have holiday's abroad, or buy a new iPhone every year?

And who is in fact worse? Those who over-indulged but were somewhat ignorant, or those who over-indulge in the full knowledge of what they're doing?

Have young people stopped jetting off to Ibiza for their jollies? Have they stopped buying convenience food in plastic wrapping?

I think you'll find that your average young person today is talking the talk, but not walking the walk.

Its not just are they changing their buying habits, not flying etc. Its are they being inspired to study in areas that could help down the line. Will they be motivated to work in industry that is trying to come up with solutions. Will they get interested in politics and be in a position in 15 years to make real policy differences. Nothing is going to happen overnight. We are selfish creatures, the vast majority might talk like they are concerned but will still want that new car, new phone or foreign holiday. My guess its going to be a mixture of capitalism offering alternatives that are as good, if not better and government policy that makes us change our habits even if we don't want to. Claiming young people like Greta are irrelevant to this movement because they are young and have no position of authority is insulting at best. We should be encouraging and be encouraged that some of them actually give a **** and aren't just getting drunk and sharing Instagram posts.

Soldato
Have you changed your old diesel or petrol high emission - high pollution car with a new electric or hydrogen powered car? :D

What car do you drive? You refused to answer when asked before, and, to be honest, if you're going to be casting shade on other people's choices then it's only fair that you answer the question too.

Permabanned
The point is that "will still want that new car" is not negative but positive in the current situation of climate and environmental and health emergencies!

I have neither electric nor a hydrogen car because there is no proper choice now.

Maybe if the Chinese car manufacturers import into the European Union a decent and relatively cheap sedan.

But not a meh Tesla. It's very expensive and niche for the rich only.

Tesla Model 3 with its design is crappy.

Soldato
need to remember too that if you've been driving same ev for less than 3 years , 40K odd miles is it , net co2 cost to environment is greater than ICE man,
with the additional time to amortize ev construction carbon cost (depending on whether your green electricity is green - nox reduced nonetheless)
The man whose regularly on his push-bike or extended ownership of his ICE can probably take the carbon high ground.

Yes - Greta ... and the protestors, what are they, practically doing - let's see a survey on foreign holidays/phone/car/clothing they use. - actions speak louder than protesting. ?

Soldato
Have you changed your old diesel or petrol high emission - high pollution car with a new electric or hydrogen powered car? :D

I need to change my van. Its an early 2016 and so isn't ULEZ compliant. Sadly because of Covid second hand van prices are through the roof and I'd be paying at least 25% more for a compliant van than I would have been before Covid. At the moment the math says its cheaper for me to pay the charge than upgrade the van as I only drive inside the North Circular road a few times a month. Some journeys I can do on my motorbike which is compliant. I don't own a car because I don't need one. Once prices return to nearer normal I will upgrade as I'd like to drive a cleaner van inside London.

Soldato
She says that there is more talk than real actions. Too little too late line.
It's because she is an educated brat who can only grasp the most basic of principles and the grown up discussion on balancing climate with economic realities is too complicated for her.

A economic collapse would just as destructive

Soldato
I need to change my van. Its an early 2016 and so isn't ULEZ compliant. Sadly because of Covid second hand van prices are through the roof and I'd be paying at least 25% more for a compliant van than I would have been before Covid. At the moment the math says its cheaper for me to pay the charge than upgrade the van as I only drive inside the North Circular road a few times a month. Some journeys I can do on my motorbike which is compliant. I don't own a car because I don't need one. Once prices return to nearer normal I will upgrade as I'd like to drive a cleaner van inside London.
All the damage has already taken place in sourcing the raw materials, manufacturing and transportation of the new car, you are victim of a new trick to keep you consuming.

Permabanned

So, do you feel that there is an improvement in the air quality in downtown London or everything has been smoke and dust in people's eyes?

A 2016-vehicle is not compliant with ULEZ? WTH?

Ok, when will they stop all the kerosene combustion dirty airplanes over the London City, Gatwick, Heathrow, Luton, Stansted and London Southend?

:mad:

:eek:

:cry:

Soldato
need to remember too that if you've been driving same ev for less than 3 years , 40K odd miles is it , net co2 cost to environment is greater than ICE man,
with the additional time to amortize ev construction carbon cost (depending on whether your green electricity is green - nox reduced nonetheless)
The man whose regularly on his push-bike or extended ownership of his ICE can probably take the carbon high ground.

Yes - Greta ... and the protestors, what are they, practically doing - let's see a survey on foreign holidays/phone/car/clothing they use. - actions speak louder than protesting. ?
Exactly

Back
Top Bottom