• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Caporegime
Looking at latest threads on ubi forums, seems the update broke the game for loads of people. Verifying files didn't fix it for me so I'm doing a reinstall to see if it fixes it and noticed this:

dKlBkGW.png

So requirements aren't even 12GB now?! :p
I think it said that when I installed it before launch day.

Associate
Lol yeah talk about moving the goal posts! Shows how all these giant dev machines cant meet deadlines and ship everything in beta.

I wouldn’t blame not meeting deadlines but more that management wants the studio to pump out games every year or two, leaving little room for improvement and plenty half baked features.

Only company that seems to care about quality is Sony.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I wouldn’t blame not meeting deadlines but more that management wants the studio to pump out games every year or two, leaving little room for improvement and plenty half baked features.

True, I had not noticed it so much but come to think of it yeah they do have this pressure/cycle. I grew up in an era where cassette and floppy disc were the medium so when it released that was it! No download a few patches and let the punters spot the bugs so convenience comes at a price.

Soldato
My 3080 cant do 4k 1.3 resolution scale even with HD textures off ;)

4K OLED, Ultra settings, RT off, HD textures off, FSR UQ gets a nice smooth 100 fps though and doesn't look too shabby! Shame there's no DLSS :cry:

Yeah, vram jumps up QUICK with any change in reso scale, even at 4K 1.0 it's around 9 GB, so with a 3080 you don't have much room left then. Not that it matters too much, for 1.3x we're gonna need the upcoming MCM GPUs at a minimum.

Associate
True, I had not noticed it so much but come to think of it yeah they do have this pressure/cycle. I grew up in an era where cassette and floppy disc were the medium so when it released that was it! No download a few patches and let the punters spot the bugs so convenience comes at a price.

Much harder to do a 15GB day 1 patch on a Sega Megadrive cartridge :D The main problem is that people buy these unfinished games; hell people still pre-order, which blows my mind. Thankfully I got this game for free.

Soldato
I look forward to the new GPUs that can hit 120fps easy on current titles at 4K max settings :p
Do you count with DLSS? And if so which quality? I reckon with DLSS Performance you can do that even with RT in a lot of situations. A bigger problem a lot of the time for 120 fps is actually the CPU limit (sometimes due to the software), that's going to be way harder to overcome.

Soldato
Do you count with DLSS? And if so which quality? I reckon with DLSS Performance you can do that even with RT in a lot of situations. A bigger problem a lot of the time for 120 fps is actually the CPU limit (sometimes due to the software), that's going to be way harder to overcome.

Well as good as DLSS performance is I'd much rather have it on Quality. I do agree about the CPU limits but to be fair even 90+ fps with VRR would be good enough for me which should help out a bit on the CPU front :p

Caporegime
Found the most demanding spot in terms of low FPS (the camp where the view switches to 3rd person) I could at 4K max settings and did a comparison 6800 XT vs 6900 XT. Both were tuned in terms of voltage, clock speeds (core and memory), SOC and Infinity fabric clock speeds too. 19% difference in performance. Click the thumbnail, then the image to see the original full sized image.

P.S - Ignore the overlay it still says 6700 XT for both. God damnit keep forgetting to update it. :cry:

6800 XT

6900 XT

And a few screenshots I captured while using the 6900 XT at 4K max settings.

Can't emphasise enough how much better it looks with HDR on. Wish I could capture screenshots with that enabled.

#Guerilla

Soldato
Found the most demanding spot in terms of low FPS (the camp where the view switches to 3rd person) I could at 4K max settings and did a comparison 6800 XT vs 6900 XT. Both were tuned in terms of voltage, clock speeds (core and memory), SOC and Infinity fabric clock speeds too. 19% difference in performance. Click the thumbnail, then the image to see the original full sized image.
#Guerilla

#Guerrilla

Pinga - Isn't this the same for nvidia side too? i.e. the people that said the 3090 is 'only' 5% faster. Then in reality the % faster could be way more like your 6800>6900 comparison proves. :)

Associate
#Guerrilla

Pinga - Isn't this the same for nvidia side too? i.e. the people that said the 3090 is 'only' 5% faster. Then in reality the % faster could be way more like your 6800>6900 comparison proves. :)
The difference can be huge in certain scenarios. I had borrowed a 3080 just to check out Cyberpunk 2077 and in some scenes I am seeing more than a 10 FPS uplift at 4K on a 3080 Ti which can make a difference between a game being playable.

Caporegime
Sadly game completely broke for me since the last patch, tried reinstalling and verifying files.

Loads having same issues on ubi forums but no reason as to why.

Shame as I was quite into it before that patch.

Soldato
The difference can be huge in certain scenarios. I had borrowed a 3080 just to check out Cyberpunk 2077 and in some scenes I am seeing more than a 10 FPS uplift at 4K on a 3080 Ti which can make a difference between a game being playable.

Going to keep an eye out for this as I am sure the gap between them is like you say.

Ed- actually its never going to be comparable using the HD pack is it? So 3090 will have to drop to same setup as the 3080! :cry: Both AMD cards use same VRAM, doh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom