• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Soldato
Puget for PS update

pc_12thgenbuild_pugetPSbench.jpg

Doubled the 6700K score, not that that's a surprise for 5 years of advancements lol.

Well, Skylake is at the heart of Alder lake. Intel went back to go forward. Similar for Core2 in some ways.

Soldato
@mrk - yup the tube lengths are 450mm, so the same. Front mounted was too much of a stretch with my larger case, didn't like the pipes being so visible and being stretched so much.

I used one of these for my GPU when it was traditionally mounted....

71ho-VF54-GYL-AC-SL1200.jpg

supported the GPU fine.

BTW noted in another thread you had XMP issues with your board. For me and my Z390 Master it took Gigabyte several BIOS revisions before my DDR4 memory would accept, and work, with an XMP profile.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I'm happy to wait for the BIOS update, currently set my RAM speeds manually. It's at 3200MHz so in-line with the CPU's native controller support and working great have to say. Once the next BIOS release is out, if I've not changed the RAM to lower CAS modules by then anyway as I may well go 64GB), I'll switch back to 3600MHz :cool:

That GPU bracket looks cool, I also noticed that on this case there are side mounting slots for a GPU so I could get one of those vertical mounting extensions for PCIE cards and do that if the sag really ends up being a bother but as it stands (or sags lol), it's not enough to be bugged by it really and nothing gets in the way of anything else so I'll probs leave as is.

Shame the AIO tubes are the same length though, would have expected longer for sure given the longer rad.

Associate
I'm happy to wait for the BIOS update, currently set my RAM speeds manually. It's at 3200MHz so in-line with the CPU's native controller support and working great have to say. Once the next BIOS release is out, if I've not changed the RAM to lower CAS modules by then anyway as I may well go 64GB), I'll switch back to 3600MHz :cool:

That GPU bracket looks cool, I also noticed that on this case there are side mounting slots for a GPU so I could get one of those vertical mounting extensions for PCIE cards and do that if the sag really ends up being a bother but as it stands (or sags lol), it's not enough to be bugged by it really and nothing gets in the way of anything else so I'll probs leave as is.

Shame the AIO tubes are the same length though, would have expected longer for sure given the longer rad.
61LYuFhRI-L._AC_SS450_.jpg

I really like these

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Interesting I've just seen on Amazon there is an "upHere Graphics Card GPU Brace" for £6.50 which looks to do just the trick and is a bit more discreet. For that price no reason not to I guess!

LjUwjghl.jpg

Soldato
@mrk glotrends, from the same place is where I bought mine. At £12.99 it is good, but I use one of those ribbons with a horizontal mounted GPU now........

IMG20210815163938.jpg

The benefit being if the AIO leaks it should miss taking the GPU with it :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
@mrk glotrends, from the same place is where I bought mine. At £12.99 it is good, but I use one of those ribbons with a horizontal mounted GPU now........

IMG20210815163938.jpg

Are AIO leaks common? You're the 2nd person the last 7 days to mention being wary of leaks haha! I've had 3 AIOs since 2015 and none have leaked tbf although like anything, a Friday build product is a total lottery!

The only thing I don't like about vertically mounted GPUs is that it blocks a large chunk of mobo from view and also the airflow for the fans to pull air in is a bit trickier as it's facing sideways where there is no cold air channel unlike the underside with the vents on the case.

Edit*
My old 6700K, Z170X Gaming 5 mobo, H115AIO and Phanteks Evolv case are being collected today by someone from FB Marketplace. Agreed on my asking price too so I'm rather pleased with that. £260 toward the 12th gen upgrade :D

Last edited:
Associate

IMG20210815163938.jpg

lol I hadn't considered that. And I thought I was a pessimist!

Associate
Are AIO leaks common? You're the 2nd person the last 7 days to mention being wary of leaks haha! I've had 3 AIOs since 2015 and none have leaked tbf although like anything, a Friday build product is a total lottery!

The only thing I don't like about vertically mounted GPUs is that it blocks a large chunk of mobo from view and also the airflow for the fans to pull air in is a bit trickier as it's facing sideways where there is no cold air channel unlike the underside with the vents on the case.

Edit*
My old 6700K, Z170X Gaming 5 mobo, H115AIO and Phanteks Evolv case are being collected today by someone from FB Marketplace. Agreed on my asking price too so I'm rather pleased with that. £260 toward the 12th gen upgrade :D
I think I'm going to break my 4790K for parts. Which probably means giving the case away for free tbh.

Soldato
From what I understand leaks are most uncommon, but uncommon doesn't mean they are zero. I would not even wish to consider the process involved of making a claim and the time taken to validate, sending off the components affected, and settle. But. I reckon, I'll save my GPU at least :D

It did add 1 or 2c to the highest noted GPU temps by mounting it the way I did. Not a problem. Nothing different with case temps, then again with the amount of 140mm fans and how much space there is that is little surprise.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Hi mrk, whats the issue with the bios and memory, just wondering as I've bought the same board as you wondering if I'll have the same issue?
Thanks

Hi what RAM do you have? if it's the same RAM as me then you may well have the same issue if it is indeed a BIOS bug! My RAM is 3600MHz 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL module number: CMH32GX4M2Z3600C18

The issue is if XMP is enabled then the system powers on but will not boot into POST. Clearing the CMOS sorts it but the RAM is then running in JEDEC speed 2666MHz. The timings are correct however.

I've since changed the speed manually to 3200MHz for a period of time to test things out and the voltage to the XMP 1.35v and manually set gear ratio to Gear 1 as it's auto by default although the ratio in CPU-Z remains the same so Auto was using Gear 1 anyway which is good.

If it's not a BIOS bug then it's the memory modules I have not being fully compatible with this board and I cannot check because Gigabyte don't seem to have a RAM compatibility list like they do with other boards lol.

It's not a huge issue, at least I know that manually setting to XMP speeds works so either way it's gonna end up running as it should until Gigabyte release a BIOS update and I can check the changelog to see what they've fixed.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Unlikely, may just be the xmp profile associated with my ram model specifically, or it could be a similar bug in other profiles too for other modules.

Only one way to find out!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Put my RAM manually to 3600MHz and manually input the timings too as they were at 18-22-22-43-65 in auto when they should be 18-22-22-42-64. Manually setting RAM seems perfect so gonna leave the XMP setting well alone and just do it all manually from here on if I upgrade RAM next time.

Only thing left to do now is take out this damn Corsair fan controller from the case because it's got what sounds like capacitor whine due to the low rpms I'm running the case fans at.. Will bin it and plug the fans directly into the mobo sys_fan PWM headers.

Looks like business as usual resumes :D

Associate
61LYuFhRI-L._AC_SS450_.jpg

I really like these

Interesting I've just seen on Amazon there is an "upHere Graphics Card GPU Brace" for £6.50 which looks to do just the trick and is a bit more discreet. For that price no reason not to I guess!

LjUwjghl.jpg

I haven't tried any other supports, but fwiw this is the same type of support that came with my 3090. I didn't use it with the stock cooler but with the extra weight of the waterblocks it has been great.

Back
Top Bottom