• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

Soldato
Intel need to give its marketing dept something to work with. Add more Atom cores advertise the chips as X amount of cores. Don’t mention not all cores are equal, power use or die size. Hope nobody notices and avoid awkward questions.

Soldato
OP
@jigger - They don't have to do that much for now actually. I think Alder Lake will hold up well, vs Zen3 CPUs that basically just have more cache. Zen 4 might be releasing quite late next year too.

Can you try to stay on topic for once lol, there's plenty of other threads to do some Intel bashing, which is not the point of this thread.

Soldato
@jigger - They don't have to do that much for now actually. I think Alder Lake will hold up well, vs Zen3 CPUs that basically just have more cache. Zen 4 might be releasing quite late next year too.

Can you try to stay on topic for once lol, there's plenty of other threads to do some Intel bashing, which is not the point of this thread.

I think Alder lake will need all the marketing fluff Intel can throw at it. I think Intel face an uphill to gain traction.

Soldato
OP
You do know that a design can improve on a current process, it doesn't have to have a better process to become a better product.

Yes, but if they could improve the design, why didn't Intel do this already for the 12900K, to improve load temperatures? It runs at 90 degrees at stock settings.

I'm not sure just adding for cache to this design would be a particularly good idea, or more cores. I'm sure this was the reason they opted for no more than 8 large cores too, due to excess temperatures on the 12900K.

Secondly, improvements to architecture itself tends to be very limited, without improving the underlying fabrication technology. Look at 14nm / Skylake processors. Then there was was a single Rocket Lake based series, on 14nm.

For Ryzen the 1st gen was 14nm. 2nd gen, 12nm. 3rd gen, 7nm. The Ryzen 5000 series was the exception to the rule, and carried on using 7nm.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
As for will Intel release another chip before 2023? Yes, the share holders will demand it.

I think you may have a point there, it all depends how quickly Intel can release Meteor Lake. The first prototype is done, so that's good news, but we have no idea about yields and Intel's 7nm EUV production capacity. Perhaps if they announce it for the end of 2022, but release in early 2023, that would be sufficient.

But, I'm unenthusiastic about a refresh of Alder Lake, it would be weird to release the refresh 13th generation in the same year that CPUs from the 12th gen are still being released. It looks like many more Alder Lake CPUs are still to be released, including Alder Lake mobile CPUs, which I assume would be the 'Alder Lake-M' die'.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, but if they could improve the design, why didn't Intel do this already for the 12900K, to improve load temperatures? It runs at 90 degrees at stock settings.

Time pressure to get something to market, it is pretty obvious, it is a publicly traded company with the main goal being to make more money.

Secondly, improvements to architecture itself tends to be very limited, without improving the underlying fabrication technology. Look at 14nm / Skylake processors. Then there was was a single Rocket Lake based series, on 14nm.

Guess you skipped 22nm then.

Soldato
OP
Intel has already released 2 generations on 10nm lol. Ice Lake and Tiger Lake. Before that, there was Cannon Lake, which barely saw the light of day, due to very poor yields.

They managed to finally get it to desktop standard with Alder Lake, but they seem to want to move on now.

Here is their current fabrication process plan:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1682...nm-3nm-20a-18a-packaging-foundry-emib-foveros

A more dated and vague plan here:
https://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Intel-Slide.jpg

Intel 4 (7nm EUV), an EUV process is apparently due for late 2022, or the 1st half of 2023.

Then, they plan to move onto Intel 3 (another 7nm EUV process predicted to offer "18% performance per watt gain"), in late 2023.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you may have a point there, it all depends how quickly Intel can release Meteor Lake. The first prototype is done, so that's good news, but we have no idea about yields and Intel's 7nm EUV production capacity. Perhaps if they announce it for the end of 2022, but release in early 2023, that would be sufficient.

But, I'm unenthusiastic about a refresh of Alder Lake, it would be weird to release the refresh 13th generation in the same year that CPUs from the 12th gen are still being released.

Alder lake:
Other lake:

One more lake:
Let’s do another lake:

Nova lake:
Awesome lake? Big+Big?

Soldato
Intel has already released 2 generations on 10nm lol.

Lol? Again they had to bring something to market as the CEO said 10nm was ready, when it wasn't, hence as you put it "due to very poor yields." It's called saving face, they failed at it, and the 11th Gen was the nail in the coffin for that, so 12th Gen 10nm had to follow up fast, and hard, regardless of the power draw and the fact it wasn't really ready for market until 2022, which his what Raptor Lake will be, the 10nm version that will finally work the way it should do, just 4-5 years later than Intel originally planned.

Soldato
OP
Nah, Alder Lake is already pretty good, but the 12900K runs much too hot, just like the 11900K, both need a super duper cooler.

People don't seem to be paying much attention to why Intel decided to go with the 8 large core + 4/8 weaker cores design, they wouldn't of done this without a very good reason.

Who needs more than an Alder Lake CPU in 2021/2022? 12700 (non K) ftw.

Soldato
Nah, Alder Lake is already pretty good, but the 12900K runs much too hot, just like the 11900K, both need a super duper cooler.

People don't seem to be paying much attention to why Intel decided to go with the 8 large core + weaker core design, they wouldn't of done this without a very good reason.

Who needs more than an Alder Lake CPU in 2021/2022. 12700 (non K) ftw.

Intel?

Soldato
OP
Intel only needs a better generation of CPUs whenever Zen 4 launches. AMD haven't said precisely when that will be, but that is what will be on Intel's list of concerns.

Last edited:
Soldato
No Alder Lake is nowhere near the PPW, at higher clock speeds, that Intel wanted for 10nm. Every generation before it used less power and produced more computational performance per watt of power used, at the equivalent speed in Hz.

Soldato
So what, they exceeded the transistor density target of 100 million transistors per millimetre, I don't think they ever intended to go much beyond that on 10nm.

It's not just about density if you can't get the performance for the power input/heat output.

This thread is about you somehow thinking Raptor Lake won't exist, when it already does, and will be launched in 2022 on LGA1700 on 10nm, and it will be what Alder Lake should have been.

Have you changed your mind yet, or are you stating 100% that Raptor Lake is a fabrication by everyone? Just only you figured this out?

Soldato
Intel only needs a better generation of CPUs whenever Zen 4 launches. They haven't said precisely when that will be, but that is what will be on Intel's list of concerns.

Intel don’t have anything to compete with Zen3 never mind Zen4. Consider the APU, mobile, workstation, server and iterations of data centre chips then think it’s going to take 5-6 years to spool up and realise the new fab strategy. Until that is delivered it’s all about 10-7nm and hovering up TSMC supply for its graphics cards.

Back
Top Bottom