*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
I'm thinking about getting my 5 yo daughter a switch lite for christmas as she quite enjoys playing Mario Kart on mines, but a couple of questions.

Do you think there is enough for a 5 year old to do with a switch?

I have some games that i've bought digitally, do i need to do the whole primary, non primary console thing to share the games? So one would need to be online to play the games? My main issue is i don't want her to get games that are outwith her age if i do that.

Sorry for the noob questions.
Is it not enough that she just plays on yours casually? My 5 year old plays switch occasionally but there is no way she has the attention span or desire to have her own one. Like you say the games are there (MK, animal crossing, just dance) but the gameplay time at least for mine is an hour a week tops.

The pull of roblox on the tablet is much more significant at least in my household.

Soldato
No I respect different opinions I was just unsure on the language you used but I get it now thank you. The annoying this is I really did like parts of it a lot, just not as a whole I dont know if that makes sense.

Weapon durability was a pain, I'd personally prefer if there was a small amount of weapons like the other games but you can upgrade.
Having a way to change the weather would be a blessing, the amount of time I just had to sit and wait for rain to stop so I could climb something was frequently annoying.
I quite enjoyed the shrines but would've liked the traditional dungeons as well, I think they could coexist.

From a technical aspect, 60fps and option to use different colour filters would be immense.

I dislike it as a Zelda game but as a general open world game I thought it was ok just unfortunately didn't get the magical feel of some of the others and I still put a lot of hours into it.

I've just started a second play through of this, after first completion when it originally released, and I've forgot how good it really is, everything is done for a reason and the amount of attention to detail Is second to none for such a big open world game imo. I remember reading a lot of people complaining about the weapon durability but I even enjoyed that aspect of it, makes you think about what weapons you want & have to use, and means you can't just use the same weapon all way through (apart from the master sword but even that runs out of charge).

Man of Honour
I've just started a second play through of this, after first completion when it originally released, and I've forgot how good it really is, everything is done for a reason and the amount of attention to detail Is second to none for such a big open world game imo. I remember reading a lot of people complaining about the weapon durability but I even enjoyed that aspect of it, makes you think about what weapons you want & have to use, and means you can't just use the same weapon all way through (apart from the master sword but even that runs out of charge).

Locking the real master sword (and the map tracker) behind DLC was a real slimy tactic.

Associate
I really wanted the GTA Trilogy to fall into the Switch Game Voucher list but I guess as Nintendo aren't linked in any way it never will?

I've got a voucher I'm not using and so far it's going to be Pokemon Diamond for my son.... and I end up paying full price for GTA for me :mad::)

Soldato
I can't get my joycon(s) on right side to register as being connected since it was dropped in summer.

Anyone had the same issue that could not be resolved by doing the software work around?

I am tempted to take apart and see if anything has come loose

Associate
New Switch owner here (bought the OLED on release day)finished metroid dread, mario odyssey (not 100% doing some stars etc) and currently playing Zelda BOTW (why did I not played this earlier, might become one of my favourite games like ever), are there any other similar games to Zelda BOTW once I am finished with it?

Soldato
I'm confused by this game. Is it basically persona but more dark?

persona is a spin off from shin megami tensai, as is devil survivor.

yeh the main line series does seem to be more dark, and i played the devil survivor overclocked games on the 3ds and they had awesome stories but darker than persona.

hope some of that made sense :)

Soldato
New Switch owner here (bought the OLED on release day)finished metroid dread, mario odyssey (not 100% doing some stars etc) and currently playing Zelda BOTW (why did I not played this earlier, might become one of my favourite games like ever), are there any other similar games to Zelda BOTW once I am finished with it?

you are in luck, this game is basically a botw clone but set in anceint greece, immortals phoenix rising, it is so similar im surprised nintendo hasnt tried to sue lol
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubisoft-300112336-Monsters-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07SZW4L3M

also it is a very good game got it on my pc and loved it :)

Associate
Soldato
persona is a spin off from shin megami tensai, as is devil survivor.

yeh the main line series does seem to be more dark, and i played the devil survivor overclocked games on the 3ds and they had awesome stories but darker than persona.

hope some of that made sense :)

Thanks yeah so does it have things like the social links etc? I never actually finished persona 5 because I got bored of the whole talking and social stuff to be honest, but I enjoyed the collecting personas

Soldato
Thanks yeah so does it have things like the social links etc? I never actually finished persona 5 because I got bored of the whole talking and social stuff to be honest, but I enjoyed the collecting personas

im still at the start so unsure but its deffo not like persona in ways like that so far, i seem to be wondering about some kind of demon infested ruins of what once was tokyo 20 years ago although it started off in a school in tokyo, im collecting demons etc but so far im basically the only character, with demons as members of my party for fights.

its more akin to devil survivor if you ever played that and devil survivor had it possible to have main characters get killed.

edit: feels like im playing super hardcore pokemon at moment but where ash is in the fights too :D

second edit : https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/shin-megami-tensei-v

if you liked the idea of persona get it :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Immortals.

I'm dipping back into this thread to say that I got the Mario Party Superstars as well, as a few of you peeps have mentioned it.

Amazon told me to cancel my order beforehand, and if I ordered it again, they would chuck in a couple of freebies at no extra cost - a coffee mug and some drinks coasters. In the end, the game and mug arrived on launch day (which was a Friday) and then the coasters arrived 2 days later on the Sunday.

Just had our copy of Mario Party Superstars ship from simplygames, really looking forward to it! Used to love the N64 games, this is full of them! And online too :D

I played MP2 and MP3 pretty extensively on the N64 back in the early 2000s. My favourite board was "Space Land", so I loved that Superstars included that, now in HD graphics. They took Horror Land as well, plus a board from MP3 and 2 boards from MP1 which I'm not familiar with because I have never played MP1. Superstars uses the same game engine as Super Mario Party (the other party game for the Switch), so it's great to play all of those old mini-games but inside of the new/current engine, and again with the brushed up graphics. Plus, it keeps some of the newer characters like Rosalina, while at the same time you can still play the older MP2/3 characters like Donkey Kong.

Bought Mario Party Superstars today, had £10 worth of gold coins which took some of the sting out of the eShop purchase.

3 of us played tonight on the Haunted board, seriously a lot of fun and very competitive. None of us have played any previous Party Superstars before, so the game naturally was a lot slower than it should have been. 20 turns on that board should take an hour, but we finished pushing 2 hours. We enjoyed every minute of it!

I'm quite experienced with MP2/3, and I agree with you - 20 turns is more like 2 hours gameplay than the 1 hour stated in Superstars. In Super Mario Party (the 2018 Switch game), 10 turns is approx. 1 hour and 20 turns is approx. 2 hours. So I think the 20 turns = 1 hour in Superstars is a misprint!

Don
Anyone got any recommendations for connecting to a TV without the official dock? I'm more than happy to buy a 3rd party dock but would like to suggestions after the rumours of bricked consoles out there...

Back
Top Bottom