Windows 11 upgrade - Yay or Nay at the moment?

Soldato
As an analogy it made no sense.

I've put it on a old machine the other day. Having driver issues. But I think thats rare. Might try a newer spare machine.

Soldato
I like some aspects, honestly the start menu and the some aspect of the revamped ui I like. However I don’t like the mix of some ui elements, unless there’s a way to go back to the classic right click menu or customising the actions I use into the first section?

e.g with 7z i right click an archive, then in win 10 I’d use the 7z menu items to choose an action, now I have to press more actions or whatever the bottom option is to then show all the other non standard options to acces the 7z menu.

Soldato
Holding off for the moment, seems there are some issues with my hardware so i'll wait for drivers to settle a bit before jumping forward.

Soldato
ah thought quick launch was the search in W7, its not its is the odd extra icons..
which icons did you use?

What did I put there?

I use it for apps I use frequently, very convenient way of doing without opening start menu or search bar, its superior to pinned items as they smaller take less screen real estate and wont move around which pinned icons can do.

I am going to contact the startall dev dev to see if he can mimic the functionality.

Soldato
I like some aspects, honestly the start menu and the some aspect of the revamped ui I like. However I don’t like the mix of some ui elements, unless there’s a way to go back to the classic right click menu or customising the actions I use into the first section?

e.g with 7z i right click an archive, then in win 10 I’d use the 7z menu items to choose an action, now I have to press more actions or whatever the bottom option is to then show all the other non standard options to acces the 7z menu.

Yep I forgot to mention that as well, seems to be some intuition issues with this UI, I expect this change you noticed is also to help tablets.

Associate
However I don’t like the mix of some ui elements, unless there’s a way to go back to the classic right click menu or customising the actions I use into the first section?
If you get StartAllBack (its like $5 for a key or like £3.85) it gives you the "classic" right click menus. Can get small taskbar icons, different start menus. Loads, I have it and I love it. Mainly for the right click menus and small taskbar icons though.

Soldato
My main gaming machine is an HP Omen gaming laptop i7-10750H with a 2060 full fat GPU. It's been nagging me for a bit to upgrade to Windows 11. I've read a few reviews of W11 and so far it appears to be a mostly positive reception it has received, but I wondered what folk thought about doing so just now? Has anyone here went to W11 and seen no real issues with their normal gaming activities?

Or would it be prudent to hang fire until the first big W11 patch in a month or two? I'm thinking I might dual boot to try it out for a bit. Thoughts?

Recently did an in-place upgrade from MS website via the upgrade assistant. Usually I'd do a fresh build but I don't have the time at the moment. After the upgrade I made sure to uninstall previous chipset drivers, gpu drivers, etc and reinstall fresh WIN11 versions. I also reinstalled my perhiperhal hardware (mouse and keyboard) and my WiFi drivers. Until I had done that I was getting odd / random lock ups. However, since sorting the drivers and doing a quick SFC /scannow just to make sure file intergrity was all OK - it has been fine. Gaming has been no trouble either. And actually, the whole thing seems a lot snappier and smoother compared to WIN10. It's been pretty much smooth sailing. I'd like to do a fresh install still at some point.

That is on an AMD B550 motherboard with a 5800X and a 6700XT GPU.

Soldato
What did I put there?

I use it for apps I use frequently, very convenient way of doing without opening start menu or search bar, its superior to pinned items as they smaller take less screen real estate and wont move around which pinned icons can do.

I am going to contact the startall dev dev to see if he can mimic the functionality.
ok agree with rest, but

pinned icons dont move -> open app ->pin it then it doesnt move. only time it would move is if you pin it before you open it

Caporegime
I've only been using it on my laptop but no complaints here as yet.

Come to think of it, I don't think my desktop PC can upgrade to 11 anyway.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Installed on my GE75 Raider. Unintentionally I should add. It installed overnight lol... However, I think it's brilliant. I'm amazed that it has installed without any issue on this MSI laptop. It has improved a few things. It's also introduced a couple of little software driver bugs, but not surprising given the scanner is 12 years old. Battlefield 5 plays much better, without any disconnects. It was disconnecting constantly before.

Soldato
No problems for me and I've had it on my desktop and laptop for the last month or so.

I quite like the UI changes especially the task bar in the middle with an ultrawide screen, it's much more comfortable. I am not a fan of the new right click context menu though

Associate
No problems for me and I've had it on my desktop and laptop for the last month or so.

I quite like the UI changes especially the task bar in the middle with an ultrawide screen, it's much more comfortable. I am not a fan of the new right click context menu though

If you google you can find the simple registry trick to put the old menu back.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Thanks folks, appreciate the replies. For those who have went to W11, have you done an 'in place' upgrade and overwritten your W10 install or did you do a clean install using Rufus or similar? Ta.

Have been doing inplace upgrades of every Windows (except 8) since Vista. Never a major issue :cool:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Going to avoid till Win 12 I would love to lose windows totally but a few key programs I use I can't run in Linux. Tried duel booting but was a pain in the end.

Plus I don't seem to have the enthusiasm for learning command line Linux which no matter which one I download it's the only way of doing stuff.

Back
Top Bottom