LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
Probably has but I want to know what people think after it has now been out a while and being used a lot, not way back when.

Have you seen this? I think it presents a balanced view and is probably a better and more methodical test and summary than anecdotal evidence here, not to say that people's PoV here isn't valid, but the article may be more informative. I think there was also an LTT video on Youtube recently about Linus using an OLED as a monitor.

Associate
Have you seen this? I think it presents a balanced view and is probably a better and more methodical test and summary than anecdotal evidence here, not to say that people's PoV here isn't valid, but the article may be more informative. I think there was also an LTT video on Youtube recently about Linus using an OLED as a monitor.

If Rtings tested 20hours day for 5years before burn-in, how did Linus burn-in an OLED in two months?

people who use this as a daily monitor not scared of screen burn?
Burn-in is a debatable topic on panel lottery.

Last edited:
Soldato
My point is both provide us useful information about the conditions under which you could expect burn-in, or even temporary image retention to occur.

Associate
Finally gave up on putting up with my LCD monitors and ordered the c1 48, only to have HDTVtest guy announce LG have secretly announced the 42" OLED for 2022.. oh well my 3090FE only supports 1 HDMI 2.1 so shall make the most of the 48 when it arrives

Associate
I saw that vid too. I had been tempted to get the c1 48" but I think I'll wait for the C2. Not sure if i'll drop to the 42" yet but I think I can hold out for another 6 months even though my current monitor is gradually getting worse

Will I be able to resist temptation until then? Only time, or my monitor giving up the ghost, will tell.

Soldato
I just hooked up a PS5 to my screen and had set the picture mode similar to PC i e. OLED Game mode. However, when I connect my Bluetooth headphones to the TV it switches to OLED Standard and Game is no longer an option.

Is that by design for some reason? It doesn't do it with the PC.

Edit to add: I've disconnected the headphones and can now switch between Game and Standard and it's actually better in Standard because with Game there's a judder but with Standard it's nice and smooth.

I suppose I'm really asking how you all have your PS5 setup with this screen. :)

Last edited:
Associate
My point is both provide us useful information about the conditions under which you could expect burn-in, or even temporary image retention to occur.

Image retention come first before screen Burn-in. Rtings only tested early models up to 2019. Like I said it's debatable topic. And the new models has Anti Image retention features.

Hoping it will be cheaper than the 48"
It won't:)

Last edited:
Associate
If Rtings tested 20hours day for 5years before burn-in, how did Linus burn-in an OLED in two months?

I mean according to Rtings it was 5000 hours for some burn in and 9000 hours for uniformity issues. These hour numbers aren't too bad if you're only using the TV for media consumption and *not* as a monitor replacement. But as a monitor replacement, people can potentially be putting on 12-15 hours a day between work and leisure (hi!). In that scenario you will hit 10K hours in only a couple years. Linus was driving the OLED as a desktop daily driver. Static windows (email clients, browsers, terminals, etc). He was also not overly cautious, treating it more as he would any monitor (i.e. not handling it with kids gloves).

I think if your use case is playing games and watching movies the OLEDs are a no brainer. As a daily driver monitor replacement, however, is likely where the problems start.

All that being said, I plan on putting my dollars to risk next year with the 42". It will be a daily driver (12-15 hrs a day except weekends where its maybe only 4-5 hours) so it will rack up the hours fast. I'll try to be cautious with it (reasonable brightness, dark themes, rotating wallpapers etc) but I'm certainly not going to be moving all my windows around every 15 minutes. Will see how it goes but I'm mentally preparing myself to having the display being ruined in a year or so.

R3X

R3X

Soldato

Need some betting odds :)

I do think it will be cheaper, hdtv or Korean slides did show impressive savings LG would make per panel and much reduced glass material loss with there updated fab process, I think we are already seeing those reductions since we already have the 48inch C1 going for £899 from costco and £999 JL, when I got the 48CX from the first delivery batch it was an disgusting £1.5K.

I think I saw the A1 48" 2021 OLED but 60hertz version I think for £630 on Hot uk deals also, might have been costco again.

42" C2 @ £700-900 is my bet.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Need some betting odds :)

I do think it will be cheaper, hdtv or Korean slides did show impressive savings LG would make per panel and much reduced glass material loss with there updated fab process, I think we are already seeing those reductions since we already have the 48inch C1 going for £899 from costco and £999 JL, when I got the 48CX from the first delivery batch it was an disgusting £1.5K.

I think I saw the A1 48" 2021 OLED but 60hertz version I think for £630 on Hot uk deals also, might have been costco again.

42" C2 @ £700-900 is my bet.

Was my thinking. Let's hope aorus is terrible at predictions/betting! ;)

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Damn wish I'd seen this before ordering at the place that needs a membership and looks like it'll take 2 weeks to deliver!

wow that is pretty good for a shop down the high street, still id rather wait 2 weeks and go with costco, their customer services might just be one of the best currently going. Rs and JL are having some odd stories and rather hit and miss or not really interested in helping customers, CC on other hand appear to be non nonsense attitude of late and just swapping them out even after years of use regardless of fault. Basically its never ever heard of great customer services.

In my situation my CX died after 3 months little use, 2 months repair back log, 30 day repair rule passed got an LG RMA code and full refund. JL did not help too much, but did sort it in end with full refund but it required me to do all the admin and chase up work.

Costco also only company in UK I believe to do a proper 90 day return clause that would have saved me weeks of headache with JL, everyone else 14 or 30 days which is no where enough to determine if the product you have is really stable or of good quality.

Back
Top Bottom