Rice / Rice Cookers / Meal Prep

Associate
To the OP just in case you didn't know....you can divide your batch cooked rice into those plastic food containers & once cooled...freeze it. Then it's a case of shoving in the microwave at your convenience.

As for cooking....rinse....& with rice levelled out in your largest pan....rest your finger on the surface of the rice & add enough water to come up to your first finger knuckle....regardless of how much rice. Cover...set to low/medium heat for fifteen mins until water is absorbed..turn off & leave to stand for five mins. No draining..no soggy rice.

As for fried rice...leave rice in fridge overnight...throw a couple of beaten eggs into frying pan....move about while cooking until it starts breaking into desired pieces...put to one side...fry any other ingredients..(I microwave onions/garlic first to speed up the process)..add it to the eggs. Make sure your now empty frying pan is HOT...then throw in cold rice on highish setting....when nearly done..throw in pre cooked ingredients....soy sauce...and most importantly...at some point during the whole process...half a teaspoon of msg. ( vital to get that near takeaway taste).

Soldato
first we have leaving the rice cooker on for days ..
this is worse than fridging it a few days - freezing cooked rice and then defrost fast with microwave - the cell walls/texture will be changed

Soldato
Must have had my rice cooker well over 10 years and still going strong, easily one of my most used kitchen gadgets. Hopefully it's got many years left but when it dies I'll be getting another one straight way.

A8eRN19.jpg

Soldato
So come on guys, am I spanking £250 on a Zojirushi or £90 on a Yum Asia?

Edit; The £250 Zojirushi is a made in China model so that's out.

Caporegime
So come on guys, am I spanking £250 on a Zojirushi or £90 on a Yum Asia?

All those people who rave about Zojirushi in Europe and North America are not all from Japan. Because Japan takes 100v, so you can’t import one for the Japanese domestic market to work in Europe, with US at 110v and Europe at 230v. It simply won’t work. So they are raving about those are are made for their Market. The one I picked up in Singapore, I looked all over the unit, the manual and the box and it makes no reference to made in China (which I don't really care...my iPhone is made in China).

Price and origin of manufacture aside, what is more important is get one with Fuzzy Logic.

Last edited:
Soldato
All those people who rave about Zojirushi in Europe and North America are not all from Japan. Because Japan takes 100v, so you can’t import one for the Japanese domestic market to work in Europe, with US at 110v and Europe at 230v. It simply won’t work. So they are raving about those are are made for their Market. The one I picked up in Singapore, I looked all over the unit, the manual and the box and it makes no reference to made in China (which I don't really care...my iPhone is made in China).

Price and origin of manufacture aside, what is more important is get one with Fuzzy Logic.
Fair.

Is this the one to go for (It's the only one really available):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zojirushi-..._1_2?keywords=zojirushi&qid=1638871879&sr=8-2

Can I set it on the evening and wake up to freshly made porridge?

Caporegime
Fair.

Is this the one to go for (It's the only one really available):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zojirushi-..._1_2?keywords=zojirushi&qid=1638871879&sr=8-2

Can I set it on the evening and wake up to freshly made porridge?

If I were to buy one, I would probably go for that one too. The one I picked up is like the entry level model (but I only paid £70) so it doesn't have the cake and steam settings, just rice and porridge, and also like 2 cups smaller. The one you linked to, the button layout looks to be the same. The timer button on the bottom right you can set a delay start. So you set it to start X hours from now. So you work backwards from what time you want it + cooking time + delay time.

Don't worry if it is done an hour or 2 hours before you get up, it will just keep it in its current state until you turn it off. It will hold that for a long time.

Soldato
I was looking at the Yum Asia then realised I wanted somethign bigger as I wanted to do porridge and risk of boiling in the small one seemed high so went for one of these as it was £15 less than the Yum Asia one and I coudln't see any differences between them when I looked at the specs. It's been great so far, only cooked some normal basmati but has come out absolutely perfect both times and porridge is spot on each morning. The other reason I went for the larger one was because they do crispy bottom rice so I can do some persian style with the Tahdij crispy bottom, which if you've never had it is amazing!

https://reishunger.co.uk/collection...er-digital-rice-cooker?variant=40248966152355

Soldato
as I wanted to do porridge and risk of boiling in the small one seemed high
why do you think that ? porridge volume I make is usually small (myself) versus rice (for several) so having a pot too big, for porridge is the concern,
I usually use a small saucepan.

The China thing is a myth - read korean site reviews , which I read after Ray talked about cheaper ones
https://www.amazon.sg/ZOJIRUSHI-Rice-Cooker-White-NL-BGQ05/dp/B071DZ8TKJ

edit:
Must have had my rice cooker well over 10 years and still going strong, easily one of my most used kitchen gadgets. Hopefully it's got many years left but when it dies I'll be getting another one straight way.
interesting , cant see it on uk market, looks a bit like the one lakeland do. @£50
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lakeland-Mini-Multi-Cooker-Litre/dp/B07418ZNLV

Last edited:
Caporegime
Re porridge, there is a seal around the lid, with a hole at the top for steam to escape which first lead to a little water catchment area. Liquids are not going to leak from the seal, any leaks will go into this little liquid thing that is designed to hold it. I have not tried porridge in it, might do this weekend but I expect it to be smart enough to not heat it up so high that it bubbles everywhere.

You do have to empty this little area but it's not really a problem, a hassle may be but not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom