Escape from Tarkov

Associate
Definitely a hard game to just pick up and play.
Maps are odd. I had no idea what I was doing when I first started. Now I can watch a snippet of a youtube video and know what map they're on and where they are exactly and where the exits are.

Every map has an 'always open' extract. So try to learn those. Usually when you start, it'll be the opposite side of where you spawn in.
For starters don't feel bad playing in offline mode and not having any Ai if you just want to look around :)

Soldato
We're all noobs mostly, they did teach me what little they knew. We have one guy that can find exits but we mostly die before reaching them.

Soldato
As hard as the game can be to start with, i've not played a more rewarding shooter than this, you more often than not feel like you earn your loot/victories.

It's very easy to stumble into a win in the likes of Cod, BF, Pubg, etc by comparison.

Soldato
So played a lot more, learned one map - customs. Got some money, got decent gear - level 4 armour, helms. But I am only successful against bots, if another human is around I get one shot, most of the time I don't even see a human player, just get one shot. Even if I see them I get one-shot when peaking for a second, again I don't even see them peak in return.

Very difficult to enjoy the game when you know a human will 100% kill you. Would be nice if they could introduce some kind of ranked system whereby newbies or low levels would play against each other. There is no way I will have counterstrike-esque FPS skills in order to outgun a real human in this game, even without looking at the gear discrepancy.

Funny story - was playing in a team of 3 and noticed a guy running far away on the interchange map, told my buddies, one of them looks in that direction and gets insta-killed by that guy far away. We all hide and he just keeps on running inside the mall. It was a split-second moment before he stopped to headshot my teammate, insane, people are crazy good in this game.

Soldato
So played a lot more, learned one map - customs. Got some money, got decent gear - level 4 armour, helms. But I am only successful against bots, if another human is around I get one shot, most of the time I don't even see a human player, just get one shot. Even if I see them I get one-shot when peaking for a second, again I don't even see them peak in return.

Very difficult to enjoy the game when you know a human will 100% kill you. Would be nice if they could introduce some kind of ranked system whereby newbies or low levels would play against each other. There is no way I will have counterstrike-esque FPS skills in order to outgun a real human in this game, even without looking at the gear discrepancy.

Funny story - was playing in a team of 3 and noticed a guy running far away on the interchange map, told my buddies, one of them looks in that direction and gets insta-killed by that guy far away. We all hide and he just keeps on running inside the mall. It was a split-second moment before he stopped to headshot my teammate, insane, people are crazy good in this game.

takes time - all had to start somewhere....

It's a brutally unforgiving game at times, but then at times, it's the most rewarding, heart pumping, realistic shooter around.

It's a fantastic game, nothing else like it.... Having sunk WAY (and I mean WAY) too many hours into it (circa 2500 hours!) - I still get one tapped, I still get wrecked by other players.

Learn the maps, learn the exits, Scav as much as you can get get loot, items for quests etc. Average guns are fine, but use the best ammo you can afford/find (plenty of guides online).

Pestily on youtube has 100's of guides/tips etc.

Soldato
The game is much "easier" at the start of a wipe, when everyone is running about in crap gear with bad ammo. Its good to learn as much as you can now, then when the wipe rolls around you are better prepared. There is probably one due before the end of the year.

Even the best players get smacked around and have bad days. Its just Tarkov being Tarkov :p

Associate
Buddies finally convinced me to give this game a go. It is quite a niche game, feels like Eve online of FPS shooters in so far as it feels more like a second job as opposed to a fun experience.

Played several matches and I just cannot for the life of me find a working exit. I find this no map and only some exits open quite mind boggling, I have a map open in browser to help me navigate but this alt tabbing gameplay is a bit strange at best, its just not fun. It's not possible to find an exit without a map yet there is no map in the game (the realistic one doesn't count as it doesn't help in any way to find an exit)

Game is definitely not for me and whilst I do think it has interesting intense gameplay, the whole unnecessary complexity in terms of map, trading, loot management (Tetris game) and finally mega puzzle that is how attachments work is making the game worse off.

The game has a bit of an identity crisis. It's supposed to be super realistic, then does stupid stuff like allowing people to go around bunny hopping and all sorts of non-realistic stuff. All the "good" players using the games incredibly bad lag and de-sync to their advantage to run around and mow people down before they even appear on their opponents screens. Or the bots that stand there in the open then spin around and one tap you in the face.

You basically have to spend massive amounts of time learning the maps and item locations before you can play at any competitive level. Which is also another unrealistic notion; who lives in a city and has memorized every nook and cranny etc before they have to "escape" it.

Back when I was a hard-core EvE player in my 20's I would have been all over this game and the massive time requirement. Now in my early 40's, hopping in and out of something like BF2042 is more my mojo as my attention span/endurance is but a fraction of what it used to be!

Associate
We have one guy that can find exits but we mostly die before reaching them.

Ah... the good times of having barely more than no clue at all! I miss that! :p It's a unique experience!

I remember my first raid. I went in on woods with no clue what the game was about. Brought with me only a pistol. Looked at some crates to see if I could loot something. Found a dufflebag. Opened it and picked up some toothpaste. Heard a sound. Turned around. Got shot in the face.

I could tell the guy was looking at me like "what the hell are you even doing...?", as he didn't kill me until I in full panic-mode started shooting (and missing horribly)

...hook, line and sinker, right there!

...I then proceeded to start learning the smallest map, factory, at night-time to avoid people. A decision I still regret to this day!

Oh, on a sidenote - I am happy to guide some newbies around, I'm pretty much done with the game (in the sense that I've done all I can bother to do this wipe-cycle), and I can sponsor some weaponry as well, if you don't want to get your gear yourself.

Last edited:
Associate
Since BF2042 is sucking, thinking of trying some EFT again. I haven't played in over a year. Could anyone provide a quick synopsis of changes over the last year? I don't feel like reading a thousand forum posts to try and catch up.

I heard something about SCAV Karma. Is it per game or persistent?

How is the game performance, lag/de-sync and cheater situation like these days?

Last edited:
Soldato
Might be 12th because 12.12. May also be Dec 23rd because Thursday and last year they wiped on Xmas eve.

escapefromtarkov Instagram put a post out saying “you already know when the 12.12 release will be”.

I’ve not played for a few months, and given there’s new bullet stuff with the wipe I’m not going to login until the wipe now.
Cheers folks.

Back
Top Bottom