Netflix: Drive to Survive

Soldato
Last year was extra-bad because of all the Quarantine, but with ever-more ridiculous inflation of the race calendar and all these double and triple headers it's getting ever more brutal.

Yeah, don't envy them at all...

Saying that as a spectator I love the triple headers, the start of last season with was it 6 races in 7 weekends or something, awesome... For me who just sits at home and watches them over the weekend... :D

Caporegime
Last year was extra-bad because of all the Quarantine, but with ever-more ridiculous inflation of the race calendar and all these double and triple headers it's getting ever more brutal.

This is pretty much the same in all corporations. Most of my senior managers have no life at all

This is how I felt as well. There is very little to get excited about on the track these days in most races so this is some welcome drama.

Horner is just the **** stirrer general. RB know they haven't been able to compete on merit for years so try to get any little advantage they can by being a bit sneaky. I found it quite funny. Hes like a little puppet master.

He is atypical of a terrible manager really. He lucked out by hiring Adrian Newey who is just the GOAT and put him together with a strong Renault engine.

The fact he has been unable to challenge with the budget they have plus Adrian Newey just goes to show. He puts the blame on everyone but himself.

He messed up with Renault. Made a massive mistake with Gasly but his typical small man syndrome will not concede. Gasly will never get another chance with RB whilst he will be there.

Soldato
He messed up with Renault. Made a massive mistake with Gasly but his typical small man syndrome will not concede. Gasly will never get another chance with RB whilst he will be there.

Agreed, I think Gasly 'knows' that as well, I wouldn't be surprised if he's talking to other teams so perhaps/hopefully in a different car next season... Maybe Alpine if Ocon doesn't beat Alonso?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I’m on episode 9 and the Grosjean crash was well done.

One thing I wish they’d change though is the jumping around. Following Gasly was good but when you’re 8 episodes in and they’re going back to race 2 to talk about the minutiae of his relationship with Horner etc felt jarring.

The fake commentary they overlay over the race footage is what bothers me most. Fair enough if they cut the regular F1 commentary to suit their agenda but having someone pretend to be commentating when you blatantly know it was recorded in-booth for the show takes away the shine, particularly if there’s an unexpected moment and he’s pretending to be shocked.

Man of Honour
I think following the season would be better than the going back and forth all the time. Seemed like there were 82 races at the Red Bull Ring last year.

Soldato
I just watched it all over two nights and loved it. Carlos Sainz looks like he should be in a Hollywood movie, and Horner's mansion, from what could be seen of it, looks very impressive. I had earbuds in and listened to the whole thing pretty loud. The cars and music sounded epic.

Excellent drama in each episode and a fantastic fly on the wall insight as to the anger, frustrations and true thoughts of team bosses about their drivers, Steiner in particular blaming Grosjean about a failed pitstop. And Lawrence Stroll doesn't look like someone you'd want to get on the wrong side of, he looks a bit mafia. :D

Associate
Got too political at the end. He should put his money where his mouth is instead of wearing cheap tshirts. Like create an academy or charitable foundation or something.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Its very hard to listen to someone talk about issues that they are actively contributing to without thinking they are an utter ***** unfortunately. F1 is the ultimate rich mans sport and you can only have so many morals when you profit hugely from it while swanning around the world, go to very questionable regimes tracks and living a very extravagant life.

F1 doesn't have a racism problem, it has a poor people problem. I only knew a single guy who did karting when I was younger and he had a rich dad who could fund the trips around europe. We couldn't even have afforded to do it recreationally.

I think LH does do a fair bit of charitable work and he should be commended for that but it doesn't mean I think he should be preaching on any of the issues he does.

Man of Honour
It just got worse and worse as season 3 went on. I really enjoyed the stories told in the first two, but this one was continually out of context, made up stories that didn’t exist, skipped over some of the best moments, added cringeworthy commentary and Will Buxton comes across as a know it all, arrogant ****. Also, too much Horner and Red Bull.

Associate
It just got worse and worse as season 3 went on. I really enjoyed the stories told in the first two, but this one was continually out of context, made up stories that didn’t exist, skipped over some of the best moments, added cringeworthy commentary and Will Buxton comes across as a know it all, arrogant ****. Also, too much Horner and Red Bull.

What stories were made up? Genuine question.

Caporegime
Well Max has gone up significantly in my estimation refusing to participate in this fake show.

I'm sure Liberty will find a way to make it mandatory in future.

Drive to Survive has issues, but it's also brought a significant number of new fans to the sport, and given existing fans a new perspective on the sport. I'd rather all drivers and teams took part.

Associate
The Roman Grojean episode was heart wrenching. What an absolute legend, and so gutted his efforts and allegiance to Haas meant nothing.
Ditched in favour of sponsor demands.
One of the few nice genuine guys on the grid

Back
Top Bottom