Any retail shopfloor workers working on Christmas eve?

Soldato
That would be absolute madness though because everyone who works Mon-Friday would have to go on a Saturday and it'd be overloaded and unbearable for everyone. The most logical thing if you wanted shops to close an extra day would be a midweek closure which is often localised and still in practice.

I'm not sure why you're in favour of a Sunday close though.

Shops never used to be able to open on a Sunday and everyone's trade was spread out over the other 6 days instead. Not everyone goes shopping on the weekend as many have days off in the week.

Caporegime
It's not acceptable because people are paid for the store's opening hours. After customers leave many shops have to cash up or at least sort out floats, padlock fire exits, security check for anyone trying to hide and break out once the coast is clear.

Change the system. Or lose 1h off your closing times. Don't hate the player.

Soldato
What's wrong with coming in 5 minutes before closing? The shop is still open. One of my pet peeves is when I walk in 5 mins before closing, and the staff are already closing the shutter things for the refrigerated items, then I have to open it back up again. Just so they can leave work a few minutes earlier, by inconveniencing customers.

As long as you're actually done by close it's fine, but many will mess around until well after the shop is supposed to be closed.

Yeah I don't get this, surely the store should factor in closing at say 4pm means last customer out at 430. And hurry the ****up too. If possible.

I think people just like to moan about anything, which is fine, but illogical.
.it's part of the job.

I mean no? Closed means closed, as in if you aren't finished by close you should get kicked out immediately.

For one, it's not worth keeping a shop open for an extra 30 mins and paying 2/3/4 hours of extra wages depending on the number of staff working for 1 entitled ****. Secondly they've probably been working 9-12 hours on their feet and just want to go home.

Soldato
When I was unfortunate enough to work in retail I used to lock the doors before closing time and bring the outside goods in. You'd always get some cretin trying to read you their version of the law because they couldn't get in. It's closing time and not open to come in until x time. In those days we used to put a tannoy announcement out for shoppers to finalise their purchases as the store was closing in x minutes time. Anyone arriving at the doors on the closing time were told the tills had gone in to their end of day routine. Used to get threats all the time from these idiots that can't organise their lives sufficiently to turn up during opening hours when they've had all day. My answer was by all means complain the address is on our web site but the closing of the store is down to the manager's watch and discretion and not head office's.

Caporegime
I mean no? Closed means closed, as in if you aren't finished by close you should get kicked out immediately.

For one, it's not worth keeping a shop open for an extra 30 mins and paying 2/3/4 hours of extra wages depending on the number of staff working for 1 entitled ****. Secondly they've probably been working 9-12 hours on their feet and just want to go home.

Lol, written after a day on the sales floor.

Caporegime
I mean I'm playing devils advocate here, I do understand the plight of the staff but where does this unhealthy relationship come from.

I mean I've been to places that say, Tesco i think, that says last entry 15mins before closing.

Why don't all shops say that? Or do they?

Last edited:
Soldato
I mean I'm playing devils advocate here, I do understand the plight of the staff but where does this unhealthy relationship come from.

I mean I've been to places that say, Tesco i think, that says last entry 15mins before closing.

Why don't all ships say that? Or do they?

Because head office probably forbid the store from deviating from what head office want and that is to hoover up as much trade as possible.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
It's not acceptable because people are paid for the store's opening hours. After customers leave many shops have to cash up or at least sort out floats, padlock fire exits, security check for anyone trying to hide and break out once the coast is clear.
That's the store/companies problem, not mine. If staff are only getting paid until the store closes then that is simply ridiculous, and tbh I find it hard to believe. When I worked at a betting shop years ago which closed at 10pm, our shift finished at 22:10. So 10 mins to sort out whatever was needed to be done before leaving. I never asked anyone to leave before 10 on the dot, as that was the store opening time.

As long as you're actually done by close it's fine, but many will mess around until well after the shop is supposed to be closed.
Fair enough, I always make sure I'm done by the closing time.

Soldato
That's the store/companies problem, not mine. If staff are only getting paid until the store closes then that is simply ridiculous, and tbh I find it hard to believe. When I worked at a betting shop years ago which closed at 10pm, our shift finished at 22:10. So 10 mins to sort out whatever was needed to be done before leaving. I never asked anyone to leave before 10 on the dot, as that was the store opening time.

Fair enough, I always make sure I'm done by the closing time.

We never asked people to leave before closing but to finalise their purchases before closing time as you can't serve everyone left in the store simultaneously. I did almost 10 years for a blue chip retailer and we only ever got paid for the opening hours. It was assumed it was part of any management staff's annual salary rather than being paid for hours worked.

Associate
OP
For a bit of context, we've got a drainage company that have been fighting a blockage for three days now, it's literally one massive solid lump of tampons and sanitary towels with a few tons of foul waste sitting on top of it, so when it finally lets go, it's going to shower these guys as they're drilling from beneath it. They're carrying out these works from a stinky bin store in the freezing cold, and are getting a steady stream of human waste drip on to them. Once they're done, they're on call for the next 5 days so can't go anywhere, can't drink, and need to be at defcon 1 for the entire Christmas period.

Tell me again how leaving your nice warm workplace early on Christmas eve to go and enjoy a Kronenbourg sucks?

It doesn't I'm off todfay (Christmas eve). I said i was going to drop in here from time to time to get the latest reports from shopfloor workers. At the moment it's just cranberry and lemonade

Caporegime
Who do you work for?
Near me tesco open at 6am and close at midnight I guess technically the extra 1 hour in the morning and at night are when the staff would ordinarily have been getting the store prepared and no customers would be allowed in.

I don't think the customer should get the blame though. it's not our fault if you have an impossible closing time and are pretty much expected by your employer to spend extra time without pay.

it's not the customers fault though is it! your employer expects you to work for free obviously.

if you worked on a factory line that closed at 8, you only got paid till 8.

but you were expected to clean and disinfect your area, put all your tools away, check nothing is left behind etc... unpaid.... its your own fault no one elses.

you'd probably complain to your boss that the line isn't switched off at 7:50pm since there's no customer to blame

Soldato
That would be absolute madness though because everyone who works Mon-Friday would have to go on a Saturday and it'd be overloaded and unbearable for everyone. The most logical thing if you wanted shops to close an extra day would be a midweek closure which is often localised and still in practice.

I'm not sure why you're in favour of a Sunday close though.

Because Jesus!

It was better back when people people followed the bible: Thou shalt only go to a garden centre or buy overpriced items from the local corner shop on the sabbath!!!

Soldato
it's not the customers fault though is it! your employer expects you to work for free obviously.

Well yes, it is the customers fault in part at least. I never mentioned it being without pay.

if you worked on a factory line that closed at 8, you only got paid till 8.

No, you would/should get paid from the second you clock in to the second you clock out. Anything else is wage theft.

but you were expected to clean and disinfect your area, put all your tools away, check nothing is left behind etc... unpaid.... its your own fault no one elses.

How would a company trying to shaft you of wages be your fault?

you'd probably complain to your boss that the line isn't switched off at 7:50pm since there's no customer to blame

I absolutely would if I wasn't being paid for the time spent correctly closing down. In fact I'd be joining a union and a picket line if it wasn't corrected.

Caporegime
No, you would/should get paid from the second you clock in to the second you clock out. Anything else is wage theft.
okay then.
this guy seemed to state the opposite as fact and I don't think he was the only one

Clearly worded to leave no interpretation other than they only get paid for the hours customer are allowed in the shop.

Back
Top Bottom