What's your personal GOAT ? (Game of all time)

V F

V F

Soldato
Quake 3 Arena for me.. mostly rocket arena 3.. spent years playing it and made some wicked friends..

TFC following just behind..

gaming really doesn't compare nowadays.

Ain't that the truth. :(

Console matchmaking, client side hit detection. Cannot stay in the same lobby. Cloud servers. No server browsers. No dedicated servers.

FuF

FuF

Associate
It must be Witcher 3 for me. Played through the story and all DLCs 3-4 times. Always find something exciting and rarely get bored of it. Second was very good, but it was just a glimpse of things to come.

Many other contenders that I've spent hours on (Diablo 2 and 3, Starcraft, WoW - some trends for Blizzard - all had very epic moments; Divinity Original Sin 2 was amazing, played thousands of hours of Civ 5, Endless space 1 and 2).

Associate
Im probably going to be a bit of an odd one out, but for me I'd have to say Minecraft. Been playing it since 2010 and no matter what other games have my interest at the time, I always find myself going to it so often.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
For every Witcher 3 vote a Deus Ex one comes in :p

I do think Witcher 3 will win as it is a much newer game and there are some here that may have been too young for Deus Ex and missed it. I mean if you played that game 20 or so years ago it was just something else. As much as I loved playing Witcher 3, it did not come close to having the impact Deus Ex did on me.

Soldato
Any platform - Gran Turismo 3

Arguably lacks the scope of GT2 or GT4, but it was the first PS2 era title and when it came out it blew me away like no other version has. There is enough career progression, tuning, challenges etc. to keep you busy for a long time anyway. I have played through it so many times, often not to complete, but just to enjoy the game. Currently on my first recent playthrough since I got a CRT TV back, and it's still great. Also, the music is great (both EU and US versions). The game feels so solid and polished, even though I'm sure they wanted more content. It was clearly a labour of love, just like GT1 and GT2. For me, all racing games are benchmarked on the handling and feel of GT3 (many still don't get there today).

Since we're in PC Gaming section, if people don't like the above choice, I'd probably have to say Grand Theft Auto IV.

This is possibly a controversial choice due to how bad a port it is, but in terms of hours spent and fun had, this is probably my top PC game. Yes, the PC version ran terribly for the whole time I was enjoying it, but it speaks to the game that I could look past that. In many other titles such terrible performance would have stopped me. I just love booting it up and messing around, causing some chaos and the driving physics, although heavy and lacking grip, have this nice feel or realism that makes it super satisfying. This was lost in GTA V. Just like the choice above, when this came out the game blew me away in terms of detail and graphics given I was at the time, playing San Andreas for about the 5th time. I vaguely recall trying to get GTA IV to run nice on my C2D E7500 and 8800GTS. Now, if you make some tweaks so it can use Vulkan (DXVK) you can actually make the game more or less lock to 60FPS on modern hardware. Having discovered that a few months back, I'm on another playthrough...

Associate

I do think Witcher 3 will win as it is a much newer game and there are some here that may have been too young for Deus Ex and missed it. I mean if you played that game 20 or so years ago it was just something else. As much as I loved playing Witcher 3, it did not come close to having the impact Deus Ex did on me.

There may be some truth in what you say, but for me having played both on their release Witcher 3 was the game I enjoyed.

Soldato

Always felt like an odd one out with Deus Ex at the time. Everyone else had been losing their minds over Half Life for a year or more iirc and although I enjoyed that, Deus Ex was the absolute stand out of those few years for me. Was hard to find many others who felt the same.

Back
Top Bottom