Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Russia are objectively the bad guys/side in this.

They have indiscriminately invaded and attacked another country for zero reason beyond their own absurd paranoia.
I agree 100% with what you say.

However what you say also applies equally to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, and I'm ashamed to admit I supported that at the time, so while Russia are undoubtedly in the wrong it is quite easy to see how their people/military/etc can be led along by one corrupt/crazy/stupid/etc leader :(

Permabanned
My wife, while ordering our weekly supermarket delivery online said, “With what’s going on in Ukraine Jean, should I forget your litre of Russian Standard vodka and order a litre of Grey Goose? It’s only another £4.75.”
I said, “Whoa! hold the phone kid, let’s wait until the T-14s are past Warszawa on their way to Berlin before we do anything hasty.”

No you should change your drink. Don't support Russia. :)

Caporegime
However what you say also applies equally to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, and I'm ashamed to admit I supported that at the time, so while Russia are undoubtedly in the wrong it is quite easy to see how their people/military/etc can be led along by one corrupt/crazy/stupid/etc leader :(

Big difference there in that Iraq was run by a dictator the majority of the Iraqi population wanted to get rid of whereas Ukraine is a democracy and the majority don't want their government overthrown.

The guff intelligence re: WMDs was bad, they exaggerated it to make the case for war when really they just wanted regime change and having to commit troops there for so long (ideally should have re-drawn borders into Sunni, Shiite and Kurdish areas and had UN manned green lines or something) but they genuinely believed he likely still had them, there was an extensive search of them once in country and Saddam himself certainly did have them in the past and was quite happy to play the game of acting like he still had them too while officially denying it.

Soldato
Interesting how Zelenskyy keeps mentioning joining the EU, I hope it's seriously being considered.
It was before, in fact they were making strides towards it and the EU had even offered them an association deal while they got prepared on the road for full membership criteria. It was Yanukovych's refusal to sign the deal in favour of association with Russia's economic union (I think them, Belarus and Kazakhstan) that kicked off the 2014 protests/coup and his ousting as Ukraine's president which has eventually lead us to where we are today.

Soldato
You could say that about many weapons on their own. What I meant is, I wouldn’t wish the kind of death it delivers on anyone.

i am not sure in war there are levels of kinds of death, perhaps its worse dying from a single bullet laying on a field rather than instantly evaporated from such a weapon. This a psych operation showing these marching on.

Soldato
The mad thing about all of this, Putin has to now go all the way - he can’t pull back he has to defeat the Ukraine.

After the carnage, what then? I doubt 40M Ukrainians are just going to suddenly go “oh ok, this is fine” it could go on and on…

Could this all be a huge strategic mistake by Putin and lead to his downfall?

Soldato
I maybe wrong but isn't Ukraine resource rich therefore destroying the country by blanketing the land with munitions would mean destroying a lot of usefuel infrastructure for extracting said resources.

I think Putin's goals in attacking Ukraine are mostly political, rather than strategic.

Soldato
I don't know how much of this Ukrainian President, a Boxer and some other famous person being out and helping defend is true but if it is all true and he is doing what is being said then I will look forward to the Netflix movie based on this. 10/10 would watch again.

Edit: And that Vitaly bloke who blew up a bridge.

Caporegime
i am not sure in war there are levels of kinds of death, perhaps its worse dying from a single bullet laying on a field rather than instantly evaporated from such a weapon. This a psych operation showing these marching on.

Psychologically I think you've got the Ukrainian citizens all over the place now heavily armed and ready to fight vs Russian troops sustaining hevay losses with bad logistics...

Russia can keep on throwing manpower at this but as I pointed out before this invasion Russian troops in armoured vehicles are not going to be happy with the likes of NLAWS all over the place and Russian Paratroopers have seen two planes carrying their buddies being shot down.

It's not like this is WW2, market garden... where allied forces are fighting for the very survival of Europe and the potential invasion of our own countries if they don't succeed... Lots of these Russians seem to have been told they were just going on a training exercise previously and now they're invading their neighbouring country with no good cause to rally behind/fight for... and their buddies are dying as a result, they're badly supplied and the locals don't want them there.

That's all gotta be really bad for morale, especially if the population back home turns against it all too.

Soldato
Sorry, late to the party today. It seems Putin has threatened Finland and Sweden with military action if they join NATO? What is the long game here?
Having witnessed both my late parents progressively lose their mental faculties due to early onset dementia and brain cancer respectively, I'm going to go with those as possible answers :p

Soldato
The mad thing about all of this, Putin has to now go all the way - he can’t pull back he has to defeat the Ukraine.

After the carnage, what then? I doubt 40M Ukrainians are just going to suddenly go “oh ok, this is fine” it could go on and on…

Could this all be a huge strategic mistake by Putin and lead to his downfall?
He's the master of diversion, he will probably claim the mission a "success" when Ukraine agrees to sign a treaty to disarm and not join NATO/EU

Caporegime
What do you mean "face war crimes"? lol. Is someone going to go arrest him?

What happens to Putin depends on what happens in Russia. Putin is already weak, a humiliating climbdown after wasting Russian blood and crashing the economy over an aimless war in Ukraine could well end him. If the people in charge afterwards aren't allies, handing Putin over to international war crimes tribunals might be a way to reposition Russia as "under new management" and help normalise relationships with the rest of the world. I don't think it's likely, but we've see many a tyrant end up brought low after their reign ends so it's not beyond the reach of probability.

Soldato
You have to admit your track record on these things haven't been great. Last week you said Ukraine wouldn't get invaded. This week you said only Dombas would be invaded. Your posts seem to be very trolling which turns the thread to garbage making it very hard to follow. Can't you just stick with the facts rather than guessing?
In fairness his track record is kinda irrelevant to his recent point.

If he was wrong about if it would rain or not, and then he was also wrong about how heavy the rain would be, none of that matters when he says rain is wet.

Soldato
I wonder what happens to Russian soldiers who disobey? At least there's no death penalty (yet).

I heard being a conscript is pretty brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom