Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
My dad terms it megalomania - doesn't leave much room for any kind of good outcome of all this :(

No it doesn't. When you don't care about anything beyond yourself I can't see there being a happy ending.

Thoughts must be in some of his close comrades as to a change of leadership.

Soldato
We’ve had the Russian guys that work for the same company that I do apparently lobbying the office to get paid cash, in Dollars, with all their earned leave also being paid out upfront, in cash.

It’s a weird atmosphere really, we have a guy onboard whose from eastern Ukraine, but thinks of himself as Russian spouting absurd crap yesterday about this all being a Ukranian false flag, somehow, while the actual guy from Russia’s rather approachable and really helpful, but I’ve made a point of avoiding talking about all this. God knows what he must be worrying about internally.

Associate
Apparently the Thermobaric weapon that Putin is happy to unleash is illegal. It doesn't really damage buildings but sucks people's lungs inside out.
Apparently, posts starting with "apparently" are usually bulls-it
It is just a different kind of bomb, fuel-air explosive.
Yes, it is good against bunkers and caves.
No, it will absolutely damage everything, more powerful than equivalent weight of common explosive.
Yes, lungs will be damaged alongside everything else because of massive shockwave.
And no, thermobaric warheads are not illegal. Many countries equip these, Russia has the most advanced ones.

Man of Honour
No it doesn't. When you don't care about anything beyond yourself I can't see there being a happy ending.

Thoughts must be in some of his close comrades as to a change of leadership.

I'm not sure it is that simple as don't care about anything beyond yourself - but ultimately other factors over-ride it - "if I can't have it you can't either" kind of mentality.

Sadly the only hope we really have is that either the Russian people or enough in positions of influence can do something about it - and with the level of fear that seems to be involved I'm not counting on that.

Soldato
It obviously suggests that they (1) have air superiority and (2) feel it's sufficiently protected on the ground. Probably tells us something about how all this is going tbh.

Air Superiority: the “degree of dominance in the air battle” which permits conduct of operations at “a given time and place without prohibitive interference” from air and missile threats.
They don't have that. They have a lower level of control of the air.

Soldato
I see a lot of people on T’internet using Ukraine as an example of why a country with a nuclear deterrent should never give it up.

It’s my understanding that all the nuclear weapons based in Ukraine at the time of the collapse of the USSR couldn’t be armed without circuitry and codes held by Russian troops reporting directly to Moscow.

Soldato
What's the problem here?
Not sure either, RJM started offloading Russian interests on 30th January, well before the invasion: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...ffloads-russian-bank-shares-ukraine-tensions/

I know lots of companies/people moving money out of Russian interests in the build up and a mad panic when they invaded, yet had no insider knowledge, or do we have evidence that he did deliberately delay sanctions just for himself? He is a politician afterall.

But I've noticed the cheap point scoring on social media is at an all time low, effectively trying to push the 'unless we have troops on the ground it's not enough' which at this stage is reckless to say the least.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I wonder if Russia's air defences are somewhat hampered by the proximity of civilian air traffic - a stray missile taking down a civilian aircraft again for instance will pretty much blow any narrative Russia can spin out the water.

I see a lot of people on T’internet using Ukraine as an example of why a country with a nuclear deterrent should never give it up.

It’s my understanding that all the nuclear weapons based in Ukraine at the time of the collapse of the USSR couldn’t be armed without circuitry and codes held by Russian troops reporting directly to Moscow.

That only really prevent malicious use, etc. i.e. someone going rogue. It wouldn't have taken Ukraine long to use them to build their own nuclear weapons.

EDIT: Some have anti-tampering systems which are relatively hard to defeat but not sure those did.

Soldato
Most of the west including a lot of Corps are really digging in on sanctions and restrictions and divesting in Russia.

Sad China won't get on board really.

If we have a future I expect there is going to be increased urgency of removing the need to buy energy etc from Russia.

Putin is single handedly ruining his country and his people. Getting people killed on both sides. Purely for ego or whatever is driving him.

One of his demands was to demilitarise the border states. But instead it's going to increase with more nato spending and sign ups

Boggles the mind.

China has the money to buy the assets the west is trying to divest (e.g. BP's stake in Rosneft) and the need for what's up for sale. Whilst its a financial hit to us, Putin and the Oligarchs being beholden to China is an appealing thought. Good luck trying to push them around.

Soldato
China has the money to buy the assets the west is trying to divest (e.g. BP's stake in Rosneft) and the need for what's up for sale. Whilst its a financial hit to us, Putin and the Oligarchs being beholden to China is an appealing thought. Good luck trying to push them around.

Very true, however this opens Russia to Chinese influence thus would both strengthen the ties but also promote conflict. Russian-China border wars go back a long way.

Man of Honour
Not sure either, RJM started offloading Russian interests on 30th January, well before the invasion: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...ffloads-russian-bank-shares-ukraine-tensions/

I know lots of companies/people moving money out of Russian interests in the build up and a mad panic when they invaded, yet had no insider knowledge, or do we have evidence that he did deliberately delay sanctions just for himself? He is a politician afterall.

But I've noticed the cheap point scoring on social media is at an all time low, effectively trying to push the 'unless we have troops on the ground it's not enough' which at this stage is reckless to say the least.

US/UK intelligence seems to have been well ahead of the curve on this - I'm not sure how or why - but the way the US was acting well back at the time seemed a complete overreaction but makes sense if they for some reason were certain at that point.

Man of Honour
If that convoy is destroyed, I think that will be the signal for Putin to start blowing up parts of Kyiv. They can devastate Ukraine without using a single soldier.

High stakes...

Soldato
Yeah seen a bit about that sort of thing happening, guess it's a reminder that just because we want Ukraine to win doesn't mean it's a perfect country. Horrible to imagine getting to the border and being treated so badly, or even refused entry and having to go back the way you came towards the war to try a different border.

I could see some argument about there being confusion about the African men not being allowed to leave, with people thinking they should stay and fight (even if they aren't technically required to as non-Ukrainian-citizens), but surely there's no excuse for treating the women like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom