Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
How is willingly accepting violent subjugation and the likely pogroms that will occur as a result with anyone holding Ukrainian statehood sympathies what's 'best' for Ukraine?

It also assumes that the killing will stop once surrendered. Unfortunately the killing will continue behind closed doors as those defenders will be rounded up, tried and convicted. There is not going to be any justice for the dead by indiscriminate shelling. No court marshal.

Associate
I was watching Triggernometry and Konstantin Kisin commentary on the situation in Ukraine last night.

I have to agree with him that the best for Ukraine and its people right now is to sign an agreement with Russia. Because the longer the fight goes on for the more heavier attacks Russia will do, killing more people.

NATO isn't going to get directly involved in Ukraine and we're not going to enforce a no-fly zone. So it's a war of attrition that Russia will eventually win.

To save Ukrainian lives I think it's in their interest to come to the table now. The Ukrainian fighters and people have fought harder than anyone else in the world to defend their land. Now they need to try and come out of revenge mode against Russia for the attrocities that have been committed. Understandably that will be difficult for many Ukrainians.

Not that. I've listened to stuff on Triggernometry before and its great but they do enjoy going full 'we're ******' - they did so with the cost of covid etc and yet the world keeps spinning.

No, when a despot says agree to my terms or i'll do some crazy **** you don't agree to the despot's terms.

Someone said this is east vs west. Not yet either, this is mostly Putin thinking the USSR still exists.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was watching Triggernometry and Konstantin Kisin commentary on the situation in Ukraine last night.

This was posted a while back. Worth watching.

Whilst I do agree a deal needs to be done, even if the politicians agreed to allow Russia to completely take over Ukraine, the people themselves wouldn't accept it and would keep fighting.

Crimea and the Donbas region - and I guess all of the Black Sea region could be given up to save the rest of the country. Recognise the Donesk and Luhansk republics, Ukraine backs off from joining NATO, Russia accepts "Western Ukraine" seeks closer ties with the EU, everyone agrees that any further incursion by Russia will result in the same outcome as we have now (but with a stronger Ukraine defence force), internationally run humanitarian aid for those in the new republics (if required) but safe passage for those that do not want to stay in those regions.

Associate
How is willingly accepting violent subjugation and the likely pogroms that will occur as a result with anyone holding Ukrainian statehood sympathies what's 'best' for Ukraine?

Exactly, and further weakening their country leaving it even more open and vulnerable to the whims of Russia down the line? Its exactly what Russia want, Ukraine and its people are fighting for their lives and hard won freedom only to have it taken away at anytime in the future and there'll be nothing they can do this time.

Caporegime
Powerful piece in The Spectator about the writer fleeing Moscow and the state of things on the ground in Russia. Particularly interesting section at the end:

Things fall apart. Aeroflot’s deputy head has resigned and fled the country. A top cabinet minister has offered their resignation to Putin, which has not been accepted. A friend reports that oligarchs are telling him that elements in the military are behind the defence minister Sergei Shoigu to replace Putin, while the moneyed elite back the Moscow mayor Sergei Sobyanin. And Putin himself? ‘He has to die. It will be too dangerous to leave him alive.’​

Last edited:
Caporegime
Powerful piece in The Spectator about the writer fleeing Moscow and the state of things on the ground in Russia. Particularly interesting section at the end:

Things fall apart. Aeroflot’s deputy head has resigned and fled the country. A top cabinet minister has offered their resignation to Putin, which has not been accepted. A friend reports that oligarchs are telling him that elements in the military are behind the defence minister Sergei Shoigu to replace Putin, while the moneyed elite back the Moscow mayor Sergei Sobyanin. And Putin himself? ‘He has to die. It will be too dangerous to leave him alive.’​

Going to take that with a sizable quantity of sodium chloride.

Associate
This is a clash between east and west.

Ukraine isn't going to win the fight. Because Russia can't afford to lose…

Id counter that and suggest Russia can’t afford to win this. Literally. And Ukraine can’t afford to lose.
Sure Russia can ww2 it and throw bodies at it but that will only get you so far in todays battlefields of smart bombs and uav. I’m not sure they’ll have the capability to mass produce such things with sanctions in place. We’ve seen videos of their top of the line stealth airplanes flying low to drop unguided bombs!

It’s not like the French surrender, and let’s not forget the British retreat (for those so keen to label the French as surrender monkies) in ww2. That was a stark choice of fight and get wiped out or live to fight another day. Ukraine surrenders then there is no fight another day as their ability to fight will be dismantled and they’ll see old soviet surveillance kick in.

Soldato
So once you've legitimised Russia's invasion, who next? Taiwan?

I've not legitimised the invasion. NATO and others have by not being prepared to use our own nukes. NATO have taken the path of physical appeasement from the start. Taiwan will probably be next. Because the precedent is being set that as China has nukes nobody will fight them directly.

Yeah we should have rolled over for Hitler after Dunkirk and during the Battle of Britain. After all it was an impossible situation and many were being killed. :rolleyes:

Hitler didn't have a nuke-like bomb. If he did I suspect WW2 would have played out differently.

Yeah great idea, give up are you French?

It's not a matter of giving up. It's a matter of being practical. In your mind can Ukraine win? If so, what does winning look like?

Caporegime
Id counter that and suggest Russia can’t afford to win this. Literally. And Ukraine can’t afford to lose.
Sure Russia can ww2 it and throw bodies at it but that will only get you so far in todays battlefields of smart bombs and uav. I’m not sure they’ll have the capability to mass produce such things with sanctions in place. We’ve seen videos of their top of the line stealth airplanes flying low to drop unguided bombs!

It’s not like the French surrender, and let’s not forget the British retreat (for those so keen to label the French as surrender monkies) in ww2. That was a stark choice of fight and get wiped out or live to fight another day. Ukraine surrenders then there is no fight another day as their ability to fight will be dismantled and they’ll see old soviet surveillance kick in.

Not sure they can really afford to use their limited amount of SU-57s, but I guess if it's stealth capabilities is actually working then I suppose it's better than losing pilots.

Soldato
*Russia Bans Exports of Turbines, Vehicles, and Select Types of Timber. – IFAX
*The Russian Government Has Announced That It Will Ban the Export of Technology, Telecommunications, Medical, Auto, Agricultural, and Electrical Equipment Until the End of 2022.

*Russia Export Bans Applies Only to Previously Imported Goods – IFAX
https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1501893084208148482

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom