Phison says Gen 5 and 6 are HOT HOT

Man of Honour
At this rate we will soon need to watercool our drives. My Adata XPG S70 Gammix Blade runs very warm even under a heatsink that cools the top and the bottom. It was thermal throttling under my motherboards stock heatsink which I later found out was because none of the heatsinks make very good contact with the M2 drives. Bought some third party heatsinks and all is well.

Soldato
That's interesting to hear that the retaining screw accounts for 70% of the heatsinking to the motherboard and using a plastic screw cripples that.
Well, there isn't much any other conductor for heat than that screw with air being in practise thermal insulator.

Man of Honour
That's interesting to hear that the retaining screw accounts for 70% of the heatsinking to the motherboard and using a plastic screw cripples that.
I have several Asus boards which use a plastic retention thing, wonder if that makes a difference.

Soldato
14 and 28w? lol What? If that becomes reality then it's ridiculous. We are going backwards. Current gen4 ones only consume a few watts. Some systems consume less than 28watts at the wall! In this day and age, power usage is a critical factor in new component design and could be the deciding factor for consumers with current energy prices as to whether they commit to certain products. We need to be focussing on lower power usage again. We seemed to be going in that direction for many years then recently it's gone out the window.

Soldato
Soldato
I think that's a problem with the type of memory used rather than the connection type
It's the issue of using Flash memory.
While better than spinning rust, it's still far cry from most other memory types.
(especially memory capable to true random access)

There would be other memories pretty much combining RAM's performance to non-volatility, but marketing just keeps pushing Flash.

Soldato
OP
Quick update on the status of storage

Based on the newest video from Steve and Wendel, Gen 6 drives are not going to work in the m2 form factor. The max power for the connector will be exceeded, we're already pulling as much power as we can to power Gen 5 drives, Gen 6 won't work.

So it's quite likely Gen 6 PCIE SSDs will be moving to a new form factor. However that form factor and connection is not yet decided, in the video they go over some options but the one Wendel believes will be most suited is this thing:

Its connection can supply more power and due to its form factor it will be easier to cool, plus it can connect using a cable (and even long cables work flawlessly) so you can stick it anywhere in the case. Servers are now using these for Gen 5 and they've started doing Gen 6 testing on them too

Due to the larger size at 3.5, you can also stick more flash on it so these thing already come in up 30TB sizes and they run cool with no fans, no massive heatsinks

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting, just when we got to a situation where I had all my storage needs covered on the board we are back to something in the case.

Obviously progress is inevitable but I can’t see any real use case for gaming on GEN6 for a very long time.

Soldato

Based on the newest video from Steve and Wendel, Gen 6 drives are not going to work in the m2 form factor. The max power for the connector will be exceeded, we're already pulling as much power as we can to power Gen 5 drives, Gen 6 won't work.

So it's quite likely Gen 6 PCIE SSDs will be moving to a new form factor. However that form factor and connection is not yet decided, in the video they go over some options but the one Wendel believes will be most suited is this thing:

Its connection can supply more power and due to its form factor it will be easier to cool, plus it can connect using a cable (and even long cables work flawlessly) so you can stick it anywhere in the case. Servers are now using these for Gen 5 and they've started doing Gen 6 testing on them too

Due to the larger size at 3.5, you can also stick more flash on it so these thing already come in up 30TB sizes and they run cool with no fans, no massive heatsinks
That thing looks like a 2.5 SSD or 3.5 HDD :(

There me just paid out hundreds of pounds to try get away from needing huge 2.5 SSD & 3.5 Hdd with extra cables in my system and then i see this :mad:

Last edited:
Caporegime
That thing looks like a 2.5 SSD or 3.5 HDD :(

There me just paid out hundreds of pounds to try get away from needing huge 2.5 SSD & 3.5 Hdd with extra cables in my system and then i see this :mad:
M.2 has always had significant limitations, I'm not certain but I think it was the replacement for mSATA so probably never really conceived for desktop use.

Issues with M.2 are quite significant:

Far less drives can be added to a system (8+ SATA ports were commonplace).
Takes up a lot of PCB space per drive on the motherboard.
Cooling isn't easy or standardised/airflow can be an issue
Common to have to remove add in cards to get at some slots (or even worse remove the whole motherboard if on the back).
Physical size of the drive can limit capacity.

It would be nice to have something along side M.2 that addresses these shortcomings.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not being able to add 8+ drives seems to be a fairly niche problem. For your enthusiast gamer I think M.2 will be around for a while. The extra drive speed doesn’t seem to be massively important for games.

Soldato

That not 3.5 inch.

Kioxia CM7 Series R 30TB SSD are 2.5 inch with 15mm thickness but read speed are slower at 10GB/s compared to 15GB SSD read speed 14GB/s.

Kioxia are worked on XFM XT2 standard that could replace m.2.

Kioxia announced XFMEXPRESS XT2 based on JEDEC XFM DEVICE Version 1.0 specification was sampled back in 2022.

JEDEC published new XFM DEVICE Version 2.0 specification this month.

There was no details on internet on new XFM DEVICE Version 2.0 specification, maybe it is updated to supported PCi Express 5.0 and 6.0?

Back
Top Bottom