World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Caporegime
They still havent came back to me regarding warranty... tried 3 CS people already...if they wont confirm it by Tuesday I will have to request return :(

Oh damn :(

Probably for the best I didn't get a full refund on that order then as would have then had to dealt with getting that sorted.

Soldato
I think the reason they ask you to request the refund after delivery is that they don't necessarily charge you for it until it's in your hands. Have you definitely been charged?

My Amex payment was showing as pending.

Caporegime
Interesting to note that Vincent said his fan was inaudible too and that's in a quiet studio like room... Just goes to show, seems to be random luck of the draw :(

How's yours @TNA?

Soldato
thanks, there does not feel like there is any rotation adjustment, but maybe the mount plate allows for it (but I will have to take the stand off to see). It would after all seem sensible to have some a little adjustment.

I was going from this document on the support page:

https://dl.dell.com/content/manual9...-monitor-outline-dimension.pdf?language=en-us

Interesting to note that Vincent said his fan was inaudible too and that's in a quiet studio like room... Just goes to show, seems to be random luck of the draw :(

Yeah, seems to be similar to the AW3821DW in that regard. Seen several complaints about it online, but with mine even if I put my ear to the vent all I can hear is a very faint hum

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
:D

Don't know how people can use more than 120 nits tbh :p

Aside from text and general windows stuff, how you finding the clarity/sharpness in games though?
Easy, your eyes adjust to the better colours :p

I only had a chance to try a few games for a short while yesterday.

In Cyberpunk the colours looked awesome, the HDR just makes things pop, love it. But you do notice the lower resolution unfortunately. I noticed it in characters, objects etc. It just looks a bit lower detail somehow, hard to explain it. But to be honest I did expect that. Lower resolution is lower resolution at the end of the day. Not sure how you or others don’t see it.

Tried Mortal Kombat 11 also which is another HDR title. Again as above I noticed the lower resolution in the character models. Definitely not as sharp. I used to play this game with no aa at 4K and now that is impossible as it is jaggies galore, so need to enable TAA unfortunately. But let me tell you something, when you enable HDR, boy does it transform the game. Even the bloody menus look awesome due to great use of HDR. Seeing all the special moves like Raiden’s electric sparks was something else. I mean I did see it before on my OLED TV, but I was not sitting as close to appreciate it like I did yesterday.

I have a lot more testing to do yet though. One other positive with this monitor having the perfect blacks is when cutscenes or menus come up in 16:9 it did not bother me as much as I thought it would. Especially at night, as you don’t even see the sides of the monitor.

The monitor actually fits perfectly on my desk. Looks awesome too. Some say it is too small, but for me I think it is perfect as any bigger I would need to remove my speakers from the sides and also be forced to use a monitor arm as the way the stand is I can’t make the monitor go back any further.

How's yours @TNA?
Not heard mine, but then that maybe because my room is not exactly silent.

Soldato
Got mine setup yesterday, so far so good in terms of testing mostly, the only thing I've noticed is mine has a couple of areas with faint streaks down the panel, visible in some conditions more than others.

I think this is called "vertical banding?" not to be confused with a different kind of banding.

Camera kind of shows what I mean, those harder edged vertical bits I can sometimes see. Hoping that pixel refresh helps solve it.

AkbUFAA.jpg

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Interesting, what kind of image or grey shade was on screen to see that? I'll check both mine today!

Also, just to further emphasise the lols of some review claims that a bright room will destroy the viewing quality of this display, here's direct sunlight hitting my desk and brightness still at the previously mentioned 52.

Sunshine_viewingquality_20220401_092927.jpg

So destroyed!! :mad:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Is worth noting that the red hue to the AG coating you see in photos and videos is amplified by the camera/lens - To the eye it is far less red. I 100% doubt any reviewer so far has actually corrected the final review image or video to account for this artefact of digital cameras that capture light bouncing off such surfaces because I've done both and compared.

Caporegime
Easy, your eyes adjust to the better colours :p

I only had a chance to try a few games for a short while yesterday.

In Cyberpunk the colours looked awesome, the HDR just makes things pop, love it. But you do notice the lower resolution unfortunately. I noticed it in characters, objects etc. It just looks a bit lower detail somehow, hard to explain it. But to be honest I did expect that. Lower resolution is lower resolution at the end of the day. Not sure how you or others don’t see it.

Tried Mortal Kombat 11 also which is another HDR title. Again as above I noticed the lower resolution in the character models. Definitely not as sharp. I used to play this game with no aa at 4K and now that is impossible as it is jaggies galore, so need to enable TAA unfortunately. But let me tell you something, when you enable HDR, boy does it transform the game. Even the bloody menus look awesome due to great use of HDR. Seeing all the special moves like Raiden’s electric sparks was something else. I mean I did see it before on my OLED TV, but I was not sitting as close to appreciate it like I did yesterday.

I have a lot more testing to do yet though. One other positive with this monitor having the perfect blacks is when cutscenes or menus come up in 16:9 it did not bother me as much as I thought it would. Especially at night, as you don’t even see the sides of the monitor.

The monitor actually fits perfectly on my desk. Looks awesome too. Some say it is too small, but for me I think it is perfect as any bigger I would need to remove my speakers from the sides and also be forced to use a monitor arm as the way the stand is I can’t make the monitor go back any further.

Not heard mine, but then that maybe because my room is not exactly silent.

In certain things I can somewhat see a difference, more so with newer games since they seem to be utilising higher res./4k assets, definitely do notice it with UHD films though.

In likes of cp, could also be down to you using dlss i.e. with the way it works, you would have been upscaling from a higher res. at 4k but now that your native res. has dropped, you're upscaling from an even lower res. Give the DLDSR a go, it works quite well in combination with dlss although still won't get you to the same clarity/sharpness levels as a 27" 4k screen.

Yeah, we all know at this point that nano ips just superior in every way.

:cry:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
In certain things I can somewhat see a difference, more so with newer games since they seem to be utilising higher res./4k assets, definitely do notice it with UHD films though.

In likes of cp, could also be down to you using dlss i.e. with the way it works, you would have been upscaling from a higher res. at 4k but now that your native res. has dropped, you're upscaling from an even lower res. Give the DLDSR a go, it works quite well in combination with dlss although still won't get you to the same clarity/sharpness levels as a 27" 4k screen.

:cry:
I turned off DLSS in Cyberpunk to test this last night. Still noticed the drop. One thing is for sure, at this res you don’t want to be using anything less than Quality preset with DLSS if you can help it.

I think there is more to it then the resolution one chooses though, I think physically having the extra pixels there helps. Bit like with running games at 200fps or something crazy like that on a 60hz monitor, just because it is over 60 does not mean you don’t notice a difference in smoothness. My guess anyway.

Soldato
Is worth noting that the red hue to the AG coating you see in photos and videos is amplified by the camera/lens - To the eye it is far less red. I 100% doubt any reviewer so far has actually corrected the final review image or video to account for this artefact of digital cameras that capture light bouncing off such surfaces because I've done both and compared.

I think there may be a similar trend with monitor reviews to that of speakers / headphones where people get very caught up in the minutaie of measurable details at a level impercetible to the ear / eye. As a USER of the monitor this thing is gorgeous.

Soldato
I turned off DLSS in Cyberpunk to test this last night. Still noticed the drop. One thing is for sure, at this res you don’t want to be using anything less than Quality preset with DLSS if you can help it.

I think there is more to it then the resolution one chooses though, I think physically having the extra pixels there helps. Bit like with running games at 200fps or something crazy like that on a 60hz monitor, just because it is over 60 does not mean you don’t notice a difference in smoothness. My guess anyway.

Would have to be blind not to notice the difference going from 27" 3840x2160 to a UW 34" 3440x1440 :p Pixel density is just much better on the 4K screen, I'm sure you will get used to it quick though. I tested out my ancient 28" 4K TN monitor before getting the TV and it was so nice and sharp compared to the 27" 1440p but the 60 Hz cap was just too rough for shooters.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Dark grey #222222 but I notice it on various colours.
I am only really noticing a line/impression line down the middle (like exactly the middle) of the screen and only on certain greys it looks like. This is new as could swear it was not something I noticed in the first few days as ran through my colour palette PNGs when I first got the screen to check uniformity etc.

ORjEBNL.jpg

I believe this is the sort of thing that is adjusted for during "pixel shift" and also panel refresh. I have not yet done a panel refresh though as it takes an hour.

I think there may be a similar trend with monitor reviews to that of speakers / headphones where people get very caught up in the minutaie of measurable details at a level impercetible to the ear / eye. As a USER of the monitor this thing is gorgeous.

Agreed on that front.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If you have an hour to spare, you could run panel refresh to see if that gets rid of yours, I need to be using my screen currently (WFH) so can't test that out!

Soldato
I think what I'll do is just use it as normal over the weekend, as it's still so new, I don't want to zoom into a pixel refresh immediately.

I'll play some games on it and see if the 4 hourly thing changes anything.

The AR coating on this screen seems really good so far, even on a bright day, with the blinds closed behind the monitor, I don't see reflections too badly on the screen at all.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Would have to be blind not to notice the difference going from 27" 3840x2160 to a UW 34" 3440x1440 :p Pixel density is just much better on the 4K screen, I'm sure you will get used to it quick though. I tested out my ancient 28" 4K TN monitor before getting the TV and it was so nice and sharp compared to the 27" 1440p but the 60 Hz cap was just too rough for shooters.
Haha. Yeah, that's what I am telling myself. If I get used to that then I am golden as this monitor is so nice :)

Back
Top Bottom