Take Away curries, why do we never learn?

Soldato
Most curry houses aren’t Indian, there’s one local to me that is, the food is excellent and authentic. Most wouldn’t recognise the menu. 80% of India is Hindu and the majority are vegetarian.
The food we eat at UK curry houses has been developed for western tastes, the ‘lamb’ is often mutton - nothing at all wrong with that IMO.
An Indian lad I used to work with used to howl laughing at the menus, dishes such as Samber & Balti.
All really designed for western tastes.

https://lilys-indian-vegetarian-cusine.business.site/

That’s what a real ‘Indian’ restaurant looks like.

Associate
It's not indian for me, but KFC hot wings, it effects me for a good few days.

I liken it to drinking and having a hangover, you're full of regret but time heals it and then you do it the next time, rinse and repeat.

Soldato
MMM KFC.

xMuoBo9l.jpg

Not had one since they last served me a raw zinger burger 4 years ago. I did try again last year but the the place was soo filthy (different branch!) that i walked out and haven't bothered since. They just don't give a ****.

Man of Honour
Most curry houses aren’t Indian, there’s one local to me that is, the food is excellent and authentic. Most wouldn’t recognise the menu. 80% of India is Hindu and the majority are vegetarian.
The food we eat at UK curry houses has been developed for western tastes, the ‘lamb’ is often mutton - nothing at all wrong with that IMO.
An Indian lad I used to work with used to howl laughing at the menus, dishes such as Samber & Balti.
All really designed for western tastes.

https://lilys-indian-vegetarian-cusine.business.site/

That’s what a real ‘Indian’ restaurant looks like.

There was one down the road from me, seems to have been a bit of drama behind the scenes the last ~3 years which I don't know the details. They used to be fully Westernised take on Indian food and included a lot of Western stuff like fish and chips, etc. and were highly rated, switched to a more authentic approach and binned off stuff like fish and chips and reviews took a nose dive as it wasn't what people were expecting. Sadly in the last 2 years quality and hygiene took a nose dive as well, probably COVID had an impact, until they closed recently.

I'm not 100% so might have it wrong but I believe it was a partnership between 2 older generation Indian brothers and when one died the other took the business a different direction and ultimately ran it into the ground.

Soldato
MMM KFC.

xMuoBo9l.jpg

Not had one since they last served me a raw zinger burger 4 years ago. I did try again last year but the the place was soo filthy (different branch!) that i walked out and haven't bothered since. They just don't give a ****.

Ironic, I had raw chicken a month or so ago, I thought it was a one of

Soldato
Please no more big pics of takeway food. :(((

Given all the attention to obesity and the pressure on the NHS in general, I wonder if this country will ever tackle its takeaways problem.

Soldato
And what’s your solution, shut em all down?

Surely the food poisoning from takeaways is the ultimate sliming aid answer :D

My mother-in-law (French) does almost raw burgers with fresh steak, I like medium rare/rare and some blue but not minced steak burgers seems wrong.

Since covid/brexit a lot of restaurants have gone down hill. There was a good French Bistro but now it's really bad due to staff leaving, although across the road the French-inspired gourmet pub is still spot on and always jam packed as a result. The local Thai is great, although a little too sweet for my taste buds. Pune spoilt me w.r.t. Indian food :D It just doesn't taste the same - most places can't mess up a Jalfrezi but I have had some awful jalfrezi before.

Going to France.. eating out and seeing the French-taste-orientated of Italian, Chinese etc.. If you thought UK was bad..

Soldato
Your spicy food options in France are very limited. There is a wonderful, genuine India restaurant just around the corner from Gare Du Nord that did traditional Indian dishes and they were spicy AF.

Still there according to Google Maps : Paris Chennai Dosa.

Unless you can find a Vietnamese or North African place that hasn’t reduced the spice level to almost zero to suit French palates, you’re SOL.

Back
Top Bottom