Are EV’s really the way to go?

Soldato
Let hope they do follow through with that. I know if I was to go EV I would seriously consider, having solar panels fitted with a battery storage system. I also personally think that all new builds should come with these. I am not arguing and not anti EV. Just wanted to promote a good debate taking the Volvo report.
I would probably do the same. If the economics made sense in future. If electricity prices stay high then solar panels on the roof with a battery could really help.

Associate
OP
Nice idea but way too much money for me.

When they come up with a new battery Tech i can see them getting much cheaper and then i will think about it.

But i know people who lease them and they are very happy.

I am in the same boat, they are to much for me at the moment. I might go with a hybrid next as a stop gap before going EV or if Hydrogen catches up. But for now I’ll stick with my dirty ICE car.

Caporegime
Let hope they do follow through with that. I know if I was to go EV I would seriously consider, having solar panels fitted with a battery storage system. I also personally think that all new builds should come with these. I am not arguing and not anti EV. Just wanted to promote a good debate taking the Volvo report.
PV array and batteries are the next big purchase I’m making for our house, just waiting on the survey now.

Associate
OP
I would probably do the same. If the economics made sense in future. If electricity prices stay high then solar panels on the roof with a battery could really help.
I am seriously considering solar panels at the moment. It depends on how much of our budget we have left after I finish converting our house from a 2 bedroom into a 3 bedroom house. Would be ideal consider I we have a south facing roof.

Soldato
People buying EV are doing so purely because of cost/tax benefits, buying a new car is never going to be beneficial for the environment. The argument the XC40 platform isn't EV foremost is a moot point because VWs own figures say the carbon footprint of their ID cars are higher than an equivalent ICE (I think they use the Golf IIRC).

EVs being mainstream is only going to shift the pressure from fossil fuels to another resource e.g. Lithium, water (Lithium extraction is water intensive) & cobalt. Quite simply, private car ownership and environmental friendliness aren't going to be compatible, no matter if they're an ICE or BEV power train driven.

Associate
There’s no denying the localised air quality improvement from EV vs ICE. Also, as detailed as Volvo’s study is, at the end of the day the XC40 platform isn’t an EV first platform, so isn’t going to be representative of the best EV has to offer in terms of packaging and efficiency.

That isn’t to say there aren’t inherently polluting parts of the EV manufacturing and supply chains, but they will only become more refined and more efficient with time.

I found the Volvo report quite interesting as whilst they were not EV first the cars were designed to support all forms of propulsion from the off and they aren't trying to hide anything, which is refreshing.

From an environmental perspective not buying any new cars is the best answer and just keep using what you've got but that's boring.

I can certainly appreciate the improvement in air quality with an EV, Covid showed that to me when people stopped driving to the office.

Synthetic/alternate fuels or powering electric motors via a fuel cell is probably the best answer but until investment is put into these alternate methods they won't happen, hydrogen is a good shout if we can pull our finger out, its one area where China doesn't hold all the keys to the supply chain and could be done in the UK.

For CO improvments though car ownership is not the issue, it is commercial waste that needs to be targeted, cars are just an easy target.

I like the idea of a PV array but a PV array when you get an EV doesn't make much sense, you'd need a massive array to charge a car, you might be able to charge a PHEV on a good day with a typical install. you do solar and battery for house loads an EV is too much unless you never drive anywhere and have such low power usage requirements then you can do top ups from solar, but then what would the point of an expensive EV, the environmental impact to make one of those versus using an existing ICE vehicle for such low usage would be far greater.

Quite simply, private car ownership and environmental friendliness aren't going to be compatible, no matter if they're an ICE or BEV power train driven.

The future is most likely cars as a service, no ownership, all self driven, but it is some way off.

Last edited:
Soldato
We are being told that EV’s are the way we all need to go if we want to be reduce our carbon footprint and so on.

The infrastructure just isn't there right now to support EVs. Recharging points are few and far between and recharging takes far too long. Recharging needs to take 5-10 minutes.

Soldato
Quite simply, private car ownership and environmental friendliness aren't going to be compatible, no matter if they're an ICE or BEV power train driven.

This. BEV's are here to save the car industry. While there are some local environment improvements to electrical vehicle ownership, they aren't the be all and end all of saving the planet and there will always be better options for the environment then any privately owned vehicle.

Caporegime
The infrastructure just isn't there right now to support EVs. Recharging points are few and far between and recharging takes far too long. Recharging needs to take 5-10 minutes.
Does it though? Most people’s driving can be handled by top-up charging at home, overnight. The amount of times I’ve used a rapid public charger so far is 1, and during that time (19-70%~) I didn’t once think “this is taking too long”.

Soldato

It's actually not far off 5-10mins these days. I planned a route on ABRP just this morning.

The bigger problem is people hogging the chargers doing 0-100%, and the general reliability (usually non tesla chargers).

0tNHKF3.jpg

Soldato
We are being told that EV’s are the way we all need to go if we want to be reduce our carbon footprint and so on. There many variables to consider when discussing the EV vs ice and so on. Volvo have released a good report comparing their xc40 ICE and EV and which one pollutes more. Makes a interesting read. Here the article:

https://www.volvocars.com/images/v/...electric-light/volvo-cars-LCA-report-xc40.pdf

and if you just want the bullet points, autotrader made a good video on it also.

ps also I am sorry if it been shared before, I did do a quick search but didn’t see anything.

yes EVs are the way to go, anyone who disagrees is living in the past and also renewable electricity is the way to go, anyone who disagrees is living in the past

Soldato
How many chargers are there in northern Scotland?

Zap Map is a good place to go. Ideally only look for the purple (rapid chargers) icons.

I think Tesla are opening up their network to all EVs, as they have by far the superior network. Unlike most who offer 2 chargers, Tesla usually have bays of 8 or 16.

There's a fair amount of 50kw chargers all around Scotland, but not many over 100....still a few though.

7wEiD4z.jpg

Soldato
How many chargers are there in northern Scotland?
Its a bit like phone coverage, in the early days it was based around population and charging is pretty much the same at the moment although you can always use a 3 pin plug. It is getting better all the time though.

North Scotland, North Wales are not good for rapid charging but people do drive EV's around the north of Scotland and 300 miles of range gets you a long way between charges and back to a three pin plug.

If you (i'm speaking generally here, not you personally Quartz) don't like or want an EV then don't buy one, you can have an ICE for many more years yet. Personally I have one and really enjoy it for all that it offers, range is never an issue for me at 70 miles a day but I have done long runs and used Tesla SuC's which charge at mental speeds getting you back on the way in no longer than it takes to visit the loo and grab a coffee. My wife has a Zoe and she loves it, 200 miles of range is plenty for her and we reckon she will own it for many years.

Soldato
Zap Map is a good place to go. Ideally only look for the purple (rapid chargers) icons.

I was unaware that chargers had spread so much up here. That's great news.

North Scotland, North Wales are not good for rapid charging but people do drive EV's around the north of Scotland and 300 miles of range gets you a long way between charges and back to a three pin plug.

Yes, but you're dependent on either having a charger at home - as I noted above many people live in flats or park on the street so cannot avail themselves of this - or there not being queues at the charging stations. And the charging stations working. Waiting 10 minutes at a petrol station is tolerable but imagine waiting an hour or more for an EV charger to become free. And then there are all the different charging networks. The Youtuber Ashley Neal found big problems here, with them all requiring their own app: why can't you just present your credit or debit card?

Personally I'm considering giving up my car. I normally do a very low mileage and the numbers are only just on the side of having a car. Of course there's the convenience to factor in, and what really swings it for me is the cost of hiring a decent car for a week or two if I go travelling.

Soldato
People buying EV are doing so purely because of cost/tax benefits, buying a new car is never going to be beneficial for the environment. The argument the XC40 platform isn't EV foremost is a moot point because VWs own figures say the carbon footprint of their ID cars are higher than an equivalent ICE (I think they use the Golf IIRC).

EVs being mainstream is only going to shift the pressure from fossil fuels to another resource e.g. Lithium, water (Lithium extraction is water intensive) & cobalt. Quite simply, private car ownership and environmental friendliness aren't going to be compatible, no matter if they're an ICE or BEV power train driven.
They will be much better in terms of air pollution though which kills many thousands a year.

Man of Honour
and the general reliability (usually non tesla chargers).

Whenever I've had a passing interest in getting an EV and done a bit of checking more than half the chargers around here are non-functional or impacted in some way, or the information on Google/Zap is wrong according to user comments, or just plain don't exist where they supposedly are.

Back
Top Bottom