Poll: Emilia Romagna Grand Prix 2022, Imola - Race 4

Rate the Emilia Romagna grand prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Doesn't that help speed up your working day, by watching from work ;)

What if they made it at 6:30pm that might be better for some UK fans, but then worse for some Spanish fans. Should UK fans take priority?

I do understand what you are saying, but in general those that want to watch will find a way to watch. Similar to when world cups are played in different time zones. Personally, I would just watch a full replay once I got home. There's no need to be on OCUK or watching news etc.. before then, or even listening to crap radio in the car.

The point is they've gone from a weekend when the majority can easily watch it to moving it to a weekday when many people are at work or commuting home. Surely you can see the inconvenience/greed of moving a sporting event from a weekend to work hours.

Soldato
The point is they've gone from a weekend when the majority can easily watch it to moving it to a weekday when many people are at work or commuting home. Surely you can see the inconvenience/greed of moving a sporting event from a weekend to work hours.

this is why you have the Sprint race on Saturday. The FIA/F1 have deemed the qualifying to be no more important than a practice, and the sprint the next premium event after the race. Basically qualifying has been demoted.

Soldato
Yep but what I am inferring is that in this current gen of car, a significant amout of downforce is generated by the floor and raising the ride height reduces the amount of downforce they can generate from the ground effect. Mercedes already run a higher ride height due to the porpoising and I wonder whether as a result of the other teams raising the ride heights for wet weather running that Mercedes will be at less of a disadvantage..
All the cars will have their ride heights increased automatically anyway as the wet tyres themselves add height, so as long as they don't have to further increase the height (presumably only if there is significant standing water, which is more likely on an undulating track) then all the cars will be similarly affected. Indeed in theory the higher the car the more likely you are to effectively lose much of the underfloor downforce, in which case, depending on how much they need to raise the car, it could most impact those who run the car highest.

It's all a bit of an unknown for most of us. We saw some very limited pictures and videos from Barcelona and that's the only footage of these cars in the wet we've had.

It's a non issue at the moment though. Rain is forecast during the weekend, but that doesn't automatically mean the track will be wet during the sessions. Let's wait and see what the more detailed forecasts are around the track from Friday onwards.

Soldato
But if the cornerning and top speeds aren't as high then in theory Mercedes could run lower than they have previously and won't need to add ride height at all. as you say its irrelevant until there is actual wet weather confirmed.

Soldato
If anything I'd say that given the lack of setup time and changing weather (Current forecast looks like very wet Qualifying, dry Sprint Race and maybe wet Race, but that's already a change from the OP) and Mercedes have issues with getting the car into a window that works 'well' it's quite possibly going to be a painful weekend for them.

Ferrari on the other hand seem to have a car that 'just works', and produces good downforce, that they may be even more comfortably ahead than they've been in the first 3 races. RB seems to have lower downforce, or generally set the car up for lower downforce.

Caporegime
Looking at the forecast now, it looks like FP1 will be soaked, but the rain will stop before Quali so it'll probably be a damp/drying track. Then dry for the FP2/Sprint, and a low chance of rain during the race itself.

Soldato
Looking at the forecast now, it looks like FP1 will be soaked, but the rain will stop before Quali so it'll probably be a damp/drying track. Then dry for the FP2/Sprint, and a low chance of rain during the race itself.
The current F3 practice session is soaking.

Soldato
Have I got this scenario right?

Cars might have to lock into a setup for the whole weekend, without running a single lap before qualifying later, due to the rain and circuit conditions?:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom