*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Pet Northerner
Don
I'm 5 weeks into low carb eating (after trying in 2019) and down approx. 14 - 15lb. Back to 13st 2 from 14st 2lb (which is bad for a 5 foot 6 frame).

Doing it mostly for my partner though, as she started at just over 20Stone.

We had a one day break on Good Friday (which will set us back a few days) but went straight into a 1 day fast then back on the low carb.

For those interested in typical Keto meals I tend to make the following foods:

1. Salads with either steak, chicken thigh or Salmon with plenty of rocket, brie and avocado
2. Omelettes (usually 3-4 eggs) with sliced bacon / chorizo and about 40g of finely shredded cabbage
3. "mac n cheese" made with roasted cauliflower / broccoli mix with a cream & cheese sauce - served with Steak / salmon
4. I make and drink my own bone broth from bones taken from when I cook chicken
5. I eat lots of chicken wings, oven baked or air fried depending on portions
6. Pork Belly on Cabbage cooked in cream
7. Cortado coffee but using cream in place of milk
8. Chaffles (which is a mix of egg, almond flour and cheese - cooked in a waffle iron) to be used in place of bread / pizza base.

After about 3 weeks of low carb I found I only need to eat 1-2 meals a day , with the OH taking longer as she has a much bigger food addiction (especially sugar) than I.

We don't plan to have another break until our Holiday in July - however due to the nature of our trip to Portugal, we end up eating quite a low calorie diet (self serve on an island with no processed food available) so I don't imagine it'll set us back too much. But like anything we need to be in for the long haul.

Pet Northerner
Don
Are you adding up the amount of carbs/calories you eat or just chicken-winging it? :p

I weigh everything and log it into Carb Manager as accurately as I can (some foods and therefore days I have to wing it a little - i.e if I buy something cooked or get a subway salad box).

We aim for strict 20g net carb limit (or total carbs on our packaging) and hit it pretty much every day.

Caporegime
I weigh everything and log it into Carb Manager as accurately as I can (some foods and therefore days I have to wing it a little - i.e if I buy something cooked or get a subway salad box).

We aim for strict 20g net carb limit (or total carbs on our packaging) and hit it pretty much every day.

Wow, hats off to you. I found it really hard to stick to 50g when I first did keto. But I plan on giving it another go come 1st May. I have to get rid of this last two stone that has been stubbornly refusing to disappear the past two years.

Pet Northerner
Don
Wow, hats off to you. I found it really hard to stick to 50g when I first did keto. But I plan on giving it another go come 1st May. I have to get rid of this last two stone that has been stubbornly refusing to disappear the past two years.

I think it helps that I don’t have a sweet tooth. But I am finding my dairy content a bit on the high side.

but I think carbs are like anything else, after a month or so without them you tend to not miss them. A big thing for me is not trying to replace things like bread and just accept that I don’t eat them. So things like cauliflower cheese are that, rather than a pasta replacement.

Caporegime
but I think carbs are like anything else, after a month or so without them you tend to not miss them. A big thing for me is not trying to replace things like bread and just accept that I don’t eat them. So things like cauliflower cheese are that, rather than a pasta replacement.

I can't get past that mental side of things when it comes to some foods. I still want things like crisps, cake, biscuits, sweets, etc. Other things I've managed to deal with - instead of noodles in my stir fry, I'll have the Bare Naked konjac things, instead of pilau rice, I use cauliflower rice, etc.

Pet Northerner
Don
I can't get past that mental side of things when it comes to some foods. I still want things like crisps, cake, biscuits, sweets, etc. Other things I've managed to deal with - instead of noodles in my stir fry, I'll have the Bare Naked konjac things, instead of pilau rice, I use cauliflower rice, etc.

My partner is the same. She has a big addiction to sweet things like cake, chocolates etc and easter was hard for her, so we took a planned day off to accommodate but were strict in getting back on .

I admit crisps were a hard thing for me to let go, but I've replaced them with the KP chilli peanuts (which are only a couple of g carbs per 30g) or pork scratchings (eat these less frequently - but they are a good breading).

Soldato
I'm 5 weeks into low carb eating (after trying in 2019) and down approx. 14 - 15lb. Back to 13st 2 from 14st 2lb (which is bad for a 5 foot 6 frame).

Doing it mostly for my partner though, as she started at just over 20Stone.

We had a one day break on Good Friday (which will set us back a few days) but went straight into a 1 day fast then back on the low carb.

For those interested in typical Keto meals I tend to make the following foods:

1. Salads with either steak, chicken thigh or Salmon with plenty of rocket, brie and avocado
2. Omelettes (usually 3-4 eggs) with sliced bacon / chorizo and about 40g of finely shredded cabbage
3. "mac n cheese" made with roasted cauliflower / broccoli mix with a cream & cheese sauce - served with Steak / salmon
4. I make and drink my own bone broth from bones taken from when I cook chicken
5. I eat lots of chicken wings, oven baked or air fried depending on portions
6. Pork Belly on Cabbage cooked in cream
7. Cortado coffee but using cream in place of milk
8. Chaffles (which is a mix of egg, almond flour and cheese - cooked in a waffle iron) to be used in place of bread / pizza base.

After about 3 weeks of low carb I found I only need to eat 1-2 meals a day , with the OH taking longer as she has a much bigger food addiction (especially sugar) than I.

We don't plan to have another break until our Holiday in July - however due to the nature of our trip to Portugal, we end up eating quite a low calorie diet (self serve on an island with no processed food available) so I don't imagine it'll set us back too much. But like anything we need to be in for the long haul.

im on the keto diet too mate. Working wonders, and I can still enjoy delicious meals, the hardest part for me has been eating crap at night time, I’m 3 weeks in and I think the hardest part for sugar cravings etc has past..

Pet Northerner
Don
im on the keto diet too mate. Working wonders, and I can still enjoy delicious meals, the hardest part for me has been eating crap at night time, I’m 3 weeks in and I think the hardest part for sugar cravings etc has past..

I found after 3 weeks I started moving naturally to IF / OMAD. I tend to eat one huge meal mid afternoon if working from home and a few small snacks during a 6-8 hour window

Soldato
I found after 3 weeks I started moving naturally to IF / OMAD. I tend to eat one huge meal mid afternoon if working from home and a few small snacks during a 6-8 hour window

yeah, I’m similar, I tent to get peckish later on after dinner, and I know your not really supposed to, but I have a few nuts and strawberries to tide me over till lunch next day.

Soldato
So as someone who for the first time in his life has successfully gone cold turkey from all the crap I have to say that mindset is the most important thing.

Once you really realise that sugar is a sweet tasting slow acting poison, that so called vegetable and seed oils are infact toxic waste, seriously watch how the stuff is made that used to be for engines etc before they invented synthetic oils and that all plants, while they contain good nutrients also contain many other substances that are harmful or carcinogenic, do you really want to put that stuff in your mouth anymore?

Soldato
So as someone who for the first time in his life has successfully gone cold turkey from all the crap I have to say that mindset is the most important thing.

Once you really realise that sugar is a sweet tasting slow acting poison, that so called vegetable and seed oils are infact toxic waste, seriously watch how the stuff is made that used to be for engines etc before they invented synthetic oils and that all plants, while they contain good nutrients also contain many other substances that are harmful or carcinogenic, do you really want to put that stuff in your mouth anymore?

yeah, I’m feel a damn bit better now mentally as well as physically, definitely dirt and more exercise.

Soldato
yeah, I’m feel a damn bit better now mentally as well as physically, definitely dirt and more exercise.

I wish I could get out to a gym again and exercise, but don't think I'd be safe with my lower limb mobility issues, pain and swelling. Hoping to find a foldaway bench that can support my weight at home for basic stuff.

Soldato
I wish I could get out to a gym again and exercise, but don't think I'd be safe with my lower limb mobility issues, pain and swelling. Hoping to find a foldaway bench that can support my weight at home for basic stuff.

yeah, I have bad knees and was worried that hitting a golf club would aggravate my left knee specifically, but so far so good, thankfully.

Soldato
It's been hard going the past few years since I was attacked at work in 2018 and had my leg broken in 12 places. All breaks below and including my right knee. One of the reasons my weight ballooned too 35st and my health kept declining. I think I've accepted how things are finally but I'm not prepared to allow it to kill me. Hence my trying to fix things the only way I can.

Associate
Sorry to hear that also, it's great to hear that you are so determined to fix your health and not let it rule your life though.

Regarding the low carb stuff, everything I read about it makes so much sense but I just can't shift the feeling that eliminating an entire macronutrient can be healthy in the long term. It's why I stopped keto when I tried it even though I did feel brilliant once the initial fog lifted. I'd never felt so light on my feet, sustained energy throughout the day, zero bloating and lethargy, what was I saying again? :cry:

Back
Top Bottom