******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
Pretty much, the game is a scam in this sense. Charging players for ships in pre-alpha is the pure definition of what we do NOT want as gamers in this industry.

Those ships can be bought by doing the normal player thing... play the game. You make it sound like like you have to pay to play with those ships...

Soldato
OP
The whole buying ships thing - I get it they are expensive.

But let's not pretend people aren't thumping a fortune into mobile games and stuff like Genshin Impact, Roblox etc.

It's become the norm. I don't really like it either and SC takes it to a sickening level - but these are adults spending their own money and if they end up with nothing to show for it or not enjoying it then frankly they are no more insane than NFT and Crypto dudes.

To each their own, until then enjoy what little you have, especially if it's half a CPU like Humbug.

Soldato

You're telling me this isn't a pay to win strategy based on the above link in a pre alpha game which has an entry point of $55??? Come on guys... Oh, and need I mention, even EVE Online, you can't buy ships directly from the shop (last I checked), only through gold sellers. You too can earn ISK to buy ships there, and it's a bloody F2P game! Each to their own, but I've said it multiple times, I'll dip in from time to time to see how this is progressing, but each time, it's more and more a cash grab from players who have nothing else in the genre to play which is sad.

Excluding Elite Dangerous and No Mans Sky as they don't have the same scope of playability in my opinion.

Don
I put money into this and Elite Dangerous, I have only played one of them.... I dont see this game ever seeing the light of day as a fully finished and released game unfortunately, I just think they will keep going untill no one cares any more and they can quietly wind it down...

Stelly

Soldato
Nobody is forced to buy anything with real money.
99% of ships are available for earned ingame credits a couple of patches after release.

This same played out argument has been done to death. It isn't pay to win. The game balance doesn't work like that.
More expensive ship doesn't mean you 'win'.
@agnes You "dip in" to what to check progress? This thread?

Soldato
Nobody is forced to buy anything with real money.
99% of ships are available for earned ingame credits a couple of patches after release.

This same played out argument has been done to death. It isn't pay to win. The game balance doesn't work like that.
More expensive ship doesn't mean you 'win'.
@agnes You "dip in" to what to check progress? This thread?

I dip in on this thread, the newsletters, website and reddit from time to time. I really, REALLY want this game to be a thing. I'm just sour it's not.

Don
I dip in on this thread, the newsletters, website and reddit from time to time. I really, REALLY want this game to be a thing. I'm just sour it's not.
Yer I'm in the same boat mate to the point, I'm just going to forget about it untill something gets announced, I'm not going to keep checking, I wanted Chris to prove the haters wrong, but I feel like they are right about this game...

Stelly

Soldato
Ok, I suggest that you try actually playing it yourself - ideally with other people that can show you the ropes and give you a tour.

It's easy to find opinions that fit what you might want to believe.

Soldato
Ok, I suggest that you try actually playing it yourself - ideally with other people that can show you the ropes and give you a tour.

It's easy to find opinions that fit what you might want to believe.

I did towards the end of last year, and even with a heavily OC'd 9900k and a 3090, it ran like absolute **** so I didn't get very far with it. Hell, I'll pick it up again this weekend to try.

Soldato
I did towards the end of last year, and even with a heavily OC'd 9900k and a 3090, it ran like absolute **** so I didn't get very far with it. Hell, I'll pick it up again this weekend to try.
The latest patch has improved fps dramatically for a majority of people. I have the same gpu as u and now getting very stable smooth frame rates 90 percent of the time at max settings 4k res

There is also a free fly event called invictus week whee you can try the game for free for a specific period. I think its 2 weeks free to try and during this event, you get to fly most of the combat orientated ships for free too without buying them in game.

Soldato
I don't get on too badly with an 8600k/1080ti, but yeah, fps can be a bit crappy in certain places.

I haven't played for a few months actually. If you're up for it, gimme a shout when you fancy trying it.

Soldato
I would rather play the completed game rather than an alpha product, its just personal preference
Complete as in what sense?

Many triple A games come out incomplete and developers iterate over them for years.

No man's sky and elite dangerous are prime examples.

Do you mean that to have all the professions/careers in the game done?

Or that plus all the star systems they promised?

Don
Complete as in what sense?

Many triple A games come out incomplete and developers iterate over them for years.

No man's sky and elite dangerous are prime examples.

Do you mean that to have all the professions/careers in the game done?

Or that plus all the star systems they promised?
No man's sky I got refunded when it came out as it was dire.

I dont agree about Elite Dangerous, I mean it could do with more content and its not in pieces... I dont think that Elite was ever in the same position as SC... I do however see that at the moment they have issues that they are working on to get the latest update stable and better performing, and I trust in them to do it... so much so that they are dropping console support... I mean Frontier has release elite and a few updates, and now have broken (a bit) Elite but still seem to be in a better position then SC

As for a complete product, I guess I mean everything that they promised (or close enough) then announce it as a release ready product, not in beta, or anything like that

Soldato
No man's sky I got refunded when it came out as it was dire.

I dont agree about Elite Dangerous, I mean it could do with more content and its not in pieces... I dont think that Elite was ever in the same position as SC... I do however see that at the moment they have issues that they are working on to get the latest update stable and better performing, and I trust in them to do it... so much so that they are dropping console support... I mean Frontier has release elite and a few updates, and now have broken (a bit) Elite but still seem to be in a better position then SC

As for a complete product, I guess I mean everything that they promised (or close enough) then announce it as a release ready product, not in beta, or anything like that
No man's sky is a completely different game and hasn't elite had many dlc content released over its lifespan?

My point is that nowadays, video games are being worked on post release with some completely transforming the whole game as a result ie no man's sky.

Anyways I personally imo do think cig will "release" the game to what they promised and the biggest hurdle that would prevent them from doing that is the server meshing tech.

Time will tell if they can deliver that tech but from what I have read from cig, it seems as though they may have finally cracked it and may even be ready by the end of the year (first iteration of this tech).

Don
No man's sky is a completely different game and hasn't elite had many dlc content released over its lifespan?

My point is that nowadays, video games are being worked on post release with some completely transforming the whole game as a result ie no man's sky.

Anyways I personally imo do think cig will "release" the game to what they promised and the biggest hurdle that would prevent them from doing that is the server meshing tech.

Time will tell if they can deliver that tech but from what I have read from cig, it seems as though they may have finally cracked it and may even be ready by the end of the year (first iteration of this tech).
So Elite has had Horizons, Beyond and Odyssey...

Yer I know that NMS is a completely different game but at time of release it was terrible, and was after development of SC started, and now the game is supposed to be really good, I have been thinking about getting it again... I guess what I'm saying that I hope that SC get it together as even games like CyberPunk have had updates to make it a lot better and SC just seems to be making small progress to I just dont know what... games have come out and been terrible, been updated and have become a good game such as NMS, I wouldnt be surprised if NMS 2 is announced and released before SC actually is released.

Soldato
So Elite has had Horizons, Beyond and Odyssey...

Yer I know that NMS is a completely different game but at time of release it was terrible, and was after development of SC started, and now the game is supposed to be really good, I have been thinking about getting it again... I guess what I'm saying that I hope that SC get it together as even games like CyberPunk have had updates to make it a lot better and SC just seems to be making small progress to I just dont know what... games have come out and been terrible, been updated and have become a good game such as NMS, I wouldnt be surprised if NMS 2 is announced and released before SC actually is released.

Small progress?

Could you explain how they have made small progress? When was the last time you have jumped into SC?

Compared the recent patch to this time, last year's patch, they have added a crap ton of stuff into the game. More than CP has since that has been launched.

Yes its buggy
Yes its Alpha,
Yes you can buy a ship with real money for £xxx

But no progress at all? That is not true.

Take a look at the last 4 patches here https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/release-view for further details

Don
Small progress?

Could you explain how they have made small progress? When was the last time you have jumped into SC?

Compared the recent patch to this time, last year's patch, they have added a crap ton of stuff into the game. More than CP has since that has been launched.

Yes its buggy
Yes its Alpha,
Yes you can buy a ship with real money for £xxx

But no progress at all? That is not true.

Take a look at the last 4 patches here https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/release-view for further details
I suppose my context is since SC is little progress when you look at the games that have been conceived, released, updated, DLC release... for example SC development started in 2014 right? So say that around that time Horizon Zero Dawn, completely different game was announced and develop, a DLC was release, it was released on PC, then second was also then released in the time where SC still is in alpha.

Yes its been a while since I played it and I have not played it since because I want to play the finished release product... I know that SC is more complex but 2 completely new games, DLC and a good port onto PC... I guess its just frustrating that I so want to play the completed game.

Soldato

You're telling me this isn't a pay to win strategy based on the above link in a pre alpha game which has an entry point of $55???
You're not buying Gold Ammo like in Word of Thanks or premium vehicles otherwise not obtainable in game. Someone is buying the same vehicle (with the aim to support the game) you'll buy in a week of play - for example.

If you'll actually find the game fun to play, I rather think is much more interesting to unlock assets by playing than straight out buying them. So more fun for the "cheap" guy.

Back
Top Bottom